Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: SB 410, Constitutional Carry. Is it a coincidence?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    326

    SB 410, Constitutional Carry. Is it a coincidence?

    Is it a coincidence that Wabbit says he is done on this forum due to all the backlash he gets for continually bashing GRNC and GRNC announces the submission of SB 410 that would institute Constitutional Carry?

    Quote Originally Posted by GRNC
    SB 410: "Enabling Heroes Act of 2013"

    In a bid to join Vermont, Alaska, Arizona and Montana by bringing "constitutional carry" to North Carolina, GRNC has worked with Sen. Jeff Tarte to draft SB 410, the "Enabling Heroes Act of 2013." The bill would remove the current blanket prohibition on carrying concealed weapons, instead making it illegal to carry deadly weapons for illegal purposes. SB 410 would leave the concealed handgun permit system intact, however, for the purpose of carrying firearms in more "sensitive" areas such as educational properties.

    Along with eliminating the requirement to obtain a CHP to carry concealed in the state, SB 410 also provides for CHP permit holders -- not just faculty members or marshals, as other proposals have -- to carry concealed firearms in educational properties, as well as preventing prosecution for inadvertent carry onto an off-campus extracurricular school event.

    GRNC applauds SB 410's sponsors, Sens. Tarte, Andrew Brock (R-Davie, Iredell, Rowan, GRNC ****), Shirley Randleman (R-Stokes, Surry, Wilkes, GRNC ****) and Ron Rabin (R-Harnett, Johnston, Lee, GRNC ****), for boldly stepping up for the rights of all of North Carolina's gun owners. We must all do our part by letting our voices be heard and showing our support for this bill. We urge you to contact the NC Senate Leadership and your State Senator and let them know that you expect their full support in passing SB 410 in short order.
    Last edited by NC-Heel; 03-28-2013 at 12:56 AM.
    "I'm kinda high (or maybe low) profile around here, to hate on me is just sour grapes." - NCHeel

    "Nuts" followed by "You can go straight to Hell." Jake from Jericho

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    70

    cant speak for wabbit

    i;m not very politcaly savvy. and dont quite understand all the jokey'ing going on in the senate.
    but, i shure hope the constitutional carry thing goes thru.
    and while not taking sides on the oc v.s. cc issue, i think possibly there could have been a bigger picture intent comming from,
    the cc people.
    if a drunken biker reference was made to discribe the oc movement, then that is very unfortunate indeed.
    i dont deny that that reference was made, although i didnt see it since im fairly new to this forum or cc for that matter.
    i have seen reference to (sane and sober) from the cc movement and have no problem with that.
    i carry both ways depending on circumstances. and i sometimes travel to states that dont have oc.
    so i do have a permission slip although i dont always use it.
    i hate to see the devision going on no matter who the perp is. i hope we can all decock and clear...carry on.
    i'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by bellyfat View Post
    i;m not very politcaly savvy. and dont quite understand all the jokey'ing going on in the senate.
    but, i shure hope the constitutional carry thing goes thru.
    and while not taking sides on the oc v.s. cc issue, i think possibly there could have been a bigger picture intent comming from,
    the cc people.
    if a drunken biker reference was made to discribe the oc movement, then that is very unfortunate indeed.
    i dont deny that that reference was made, although i didnt see it since im fairly new to this forum or cc for that matter.
    i have seen reference to (sane and sober) from the cc movement and have no problem with that.
    i carry both ways depending on circumstances. and i sometimes travel to states that dont have oc.
    so i do have a permission slip although i dont always use it.
    i hate to see the devision going on no matter who the perp is. i hope we can all decock and clear...carry on.
    Bellyfat, you like a lot of other people here have listened to a small group of forum members who have twisted Paul Valone's words. I urge you to go read the first 20 or so posts of the thread in question. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ld-Carry-State

    Paul never said open carriers were drunken bikers. He gave an example of the stereotypes anti's would use to derail any bill that included open carriers. Does GRNC support a lot of bills that are cc only? Yes. GRNC has been pushing for years for restaurant carry for legal cc'ers unsuccessfully. How much more difficult would that fight be to convince politicians to pass a bill if oc'ers were included? Does this mean GRNC is anti-oc? No. No one ever mentions GRNC helped with the bill that allows oc in state rest areas. Keep in mind there is no where it is illegal to oc in NC but legal to cc. The plan is to get restaurant carry for cc'ers then fight for oc'ers once gun owners get a foot into the door. This is the same plan that is being used for Constitutional Carry. It has taken 18 years to get to the point where GRNC feels confidant that a Constitutional Carry bill has a chance. If GRNC is anti-oc why would they ever work towards Constitutional Carry?
    "I'm kinda high (or maybe low) profile around here, to hate on me is just sour grapes." - NCHeel

    "Nuts" followed by "You can go straight to Hell." Jake from Jericho

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    70

    settled.

    Quote Originally Posted by NC-Heel View Post
    Bellyfat, you like a lot of other people here have listened to a small group of forum members who have twisted Paul Valone's words. I urge you to go read the first 20 or so posts of the thread in question. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ld-Carry-State

    Paul never said open carriers were drunken bikers. He gave an example of the stereotypes anti's would use to derail any bill that included open carriers. Does GRNC support a lot of bills that are cc only? Yes. GRNC has been pushing for years for restaurant carry for legal cc'ers unsuccessfully. How much more difficult would that fight be to convince politicians to pass a bill if oc'ers were included? Does this mean GRNC is anti-oc? No. No one ever mentions GRNC helped with the bill that allows oc in state rest areas. Keep in mind there is no where it is illegal to oc in NC but legal to cc. The plan is to get restaurant carry for cc'ers then fight for oc'ers once gun owners get a foot into the door. This is the same plan that is being used for Constitutional Carry. It has taken 18 years to get to the point where GRNC feels confidant that a Constitutional Carry bill has a chance. If GRNC is anti-oc why would they ever work towards Constitutional Carry?
    well im a biker and a gun toter, but not a drunkard. ive also been kicked out of a gas station during a thunderstorm because of prejudice against bikers.
    but for the most part, we did overcom.
    hopefully, us gun toters will overcome someday, if we stand together.
    i'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    70

    stand or fall?

    thanks for the link.
    i wish for and hope it just becomes spilled milk.
    if we dont stand together, we will hang seperately.
    i'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by bellyfat View Post
    well im a biker and a gun toter, but not a drunkard. ive also been kicked out of a gas station during a thunderstorm because of prejudice against bikers.
    but for the most part, we did overcom.
    hopefully, us gun toters will overcome someday, if we stand together.
    I have a beard and a Harley and a Bourget in the garage so ummm... I am also a member and volunteer for GRNC. I personally know Paul Valone and gun show coordinators actually ask me to help with their booths since I enjoy talking with people unlike some of the old guys that volunteer for the free admission. With that said though according to some people GRNC and Paul Valone have it in for oc'ing bikers.
    Last edited by NC-Heel; 03-28-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    "I'm kinda high (or maybe low) profile around here, to hate on me is just sour grapes." - NCHeel

    "Nuts" followed by "You can go straight to Hell." Jake from Jericho

  7. #7
    Regular Member rotorhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-Heel View Post
    Is it a coincidence that Wabbit says he is done on this forum due to all the backlash he gets for continually bashing GRNC and GRNC announces the submission of SB 410 that would institute Constitutional Carry?
    Whatever the timing, I'm sure it had nothing to do with wabbit lol.

    It's good to see the political climate and make up in Raleigh has finally gotten to the point of being able to introduce legislation like HB 410, though. I'm not sure of it's chances to pass as is, but it's a beginning.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-Heel View Post
    I have a beard and a Harley and a Bourget in the garage so ummm... some of the old guys that volunteer for the free admission.
    Had to google this one. Real obvious I've not paid attention to the custom bike world in decades.

    I can be classed as one of the "old guys" who've volunteered; and I've always paid my way in.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    Whatever the timing, I'm sure it had nothing to do with wabbit lol.

    It's good to see the political climate and make up in Raleigh has finally gotten to the point of being able to introduce legislation like HB 410, though. I'm not sure of it's chances to pass as is, but it's a beginning.
    The turning point was a Republican Governor being elected

    With the GRNC bashing going on it been hard holding my tounge knowing we have been working on this issue for a long time. Just couldn't say anything until it became public.

    Will this bill go anywhere??
    It's introduced, now it's up to the public to push it.

  10. #10
    Regular Member XD40sc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketdad View Post
    The turning point was a Republican Governor being elected

    With the GRNC bashing going on it been hard holding my tounge knowing we have been working on this issue for a long time. Just couldn't say anything until it became public.

    Will this bill go anywhere??
    It's introduced, now it's up to the public to push it.
    I have yet to see anything from him that indicates his position toward 2A rights. A few posts in other forums say he is very pro 2A, owns and AR15, but he is very silent about it. Has he made his 2A position clear, i.e. first hand information, not "I think" or "I heard" rumors.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , , Kernersville NC
    Posts
    783
    I have been reading for a while and from what I have read I believed GRNC was a CC only, but now I know the truth and I agree it would be impossible to pass OC in places that serve alcohol. I do hope, maybe, those of us who have a cc would be able to oc into such a places?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post
    I have yet to see anything from him that indicates his position toward 2A rights. A few posts in other forums say he is very pro 2A, owns and AR15, but he is very silent about it. Has he made his 2A position clear, i.e. first hand information, not "I think" or "I heard" rumors.
    “What happened to all we were going to talk about was the economy? I think we have plenty of gun laws on the books. Let’s work with the laws on the books. We don’t need any more laws. You are only getting more people to buy new guns. This is foolish.” - NC Governor Pat McCrory
    "I'm kinda high (or maybe low) profile around here, to hate on me is just sour grapes." - NCHeel

    "Nuts" followed by "You can go straight to Hell." Jake from Jericho

  13. #13
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-Heel View Post
    Bellyfat, you like a lot of other people here have listened to a small group of forum members who have twisted Paul Valone's words. I urge you to go read the first 20 or so posts of the thread in question. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ld-Carry-State

    Paul never said open carriers were drunken bikers. He gave an example of the stereotypes anti's would use to derail any bill that included open carriers. Does GRNC support a lot of bills that are cc only? Yes. GRNC has been pushing for years for restaurant carry for legal cc'ers unsuccessfully. How much more difficult would that fight be to convince politicians to pass a bill if oc'ers were included? Does this mean GRNC is anti-oc? No. No one ever mentions GRNC helped with the bill that allows oc in state rest areas. Keep in mind there is no where it is illegal to oc in NC but legal to cc. The plan is to get restaurant carry for cc'ers then fight for oc'ers once gun owners get a foot into the door. This is the same plan that is being used for Constitutional Carry. It has taken 18 years to get to the point where GRNC feels confidant that a Constitutional Carry bill has a chance. If GRNC is anti-oc why would they ever work towards Constitutional Carry?
    we already have constitutional carry in NC it is called OPEN CARRY. I know a lot of GRNC members are for carry, i am one of them. there are quite a few , maybe be cause of the money, that are for CC only.
    i am greatly disturbed by GRNC talking about CHP holders, and only CHP holders, being able to store there firearms in locked cars.
    this is just wrong and unacceptable. i will not give up my rights for privileges
    Last edited by papa bear; 03-31-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  14. #14
    Regular Member XD40sc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-Heel View Post
    “What happened to all we were going to talk about was the economy? I think we have plenty of gun laws on the books. Let’s work with the laws on the books. We don’t need any more laws. You are only getting more people to buy new guns. This is foolish.” - NC Governor Pat McCrory
    Bob and weave, bob and weave, that really tells me he's neutral'ish and seems content with the very restrictive gun laws that NC has on the books.

    I have seen nothing that gives a hint if he will sign or veto any of the current legislation if it makes it to his desk. A number of these would benefit both the OC and CC, such as the right to leave a gun locked in a vehicle if your workplace forbids weapons, which now means they can dictate that you can't even secure it in your vehicle in their parking lot.
    Last edited by XD40sc; 03-31-2013 at 10:09 PM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    we already have constitutional carry in NC it is called OPEN CARRY.
    Can you cite that for me?


    http://www.ammoland.com/2010/08/cons...#axzz2PGEm1WBu

    The movement is permitless carry or even Vermont Carry, but is most properly called “Constitutional Carry”. By definition, it means carrying a concealed handgun without a concealed carry permit.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Carry

    Constitutional Carry is a situation within a jurisdiction in which the carrying of concealed firearms is generally not restricted by the law. When a state or other jurisdiction has adopted Constitutional Carry, it is legal for law-abiding citizens to carry a handgun, firearm, or other weapon concealed with or without an applicable permit or license. The scope and applicability of such laws or proposed legislation can vary from state to state.
    "I'm kinda high (or maybe low) profile around here, to hate on me is just sour grapes." - NCHeel

    "Nuts" followed by "You can go straight to Hell." Jake from Jericho

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    Quote Originally Posted by wethepeople View Post
    I have been reading for a while and from what I have read I believed GRNC was a CC only, but now I know the truth and I agree it would be impossible to pass OC in places that serve alcohol. I do hope, maybe, those of us who have a cc would be able to oc into such a places?

    Impossible? Only if you don't want it.

    Took a long time, but we got it in Virginia. It may well be impossible in NC because you don't appear to have a grassroots organization that will organize those who would push it.

  17. #17
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-Heel View Post
    Can you cite that for me?


    http://www.ammoland.com/2010/08/cons...#axzz2PGEm1WBu

    The movement is permitless carry or even Vermont Carry, but is most properly called “Constitutional Carry”. By definition, it means carrying a concealed handgun without a concealed carry permit.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Carry

    Constitutional Carry is a situation within a jurisdiction in which the carrying of concealed firearms is generally not restricted by the law. When a state or other jurisdiction has adopted Constitutional Carry, it is legal for law-abiding citizens to carry a handgun, firearm, or other weapon concealed with or without an applicable permit or license. The scope and applicability of such laws or proposed legislation can vary from state to state.
    don't know exactly what you mean. there are no laws in NC to permit Carry, but this; from the NC constitution, "
    Sec. 30. Militia and the right to bear arms.
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; and, as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they shall not be maintained, and the military shall be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power. Nothing herein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons, or prevent the General Assembly from enacting penal statutes against that practice."

    i believe you should already know the federal 2nd Amendment to the constitution.



    Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Impossible? Only if you don't want it.

    Took a long time, but we got it in Virginia. It may well be impossible in NC because you don't appear to have a grassroots organization that will organize those who would push it.
    TESS, i am a active member of both the VCDL and the GRNC, someday i hope we can catch up to VA. although, NC does have a few laws that are better
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    326
    Constitutional carry is NOT open carry. Constitutional carry is the ability to carry a firearm anyway I please without permission. The Constitution does not describe the method I can "keep and bear arms". It does not say "keep and bear arms as long as everyone can see them". In NC, IMHO, open carry is just as restrictive as concealed carry. Can't wear that jacket, it's too long. Did I remember to lock the glove box when I stored one of my pistols in there? Can't put a pistol in my center console, it doesn't lock.

    I think open carriers worry more about if their pistol is visible as evidenced by all the car and seat belt threads on OCDO than concealed carriers worry if their pistol is covered or printing. I know they worry more about what stores they can openly carry in than concealers do. Arguing over which method is better or Constitutional is asinine. The only truth is carrying is better than not carrying.

    Q: How do you tell the difference between an OC'er and a CC'er entering a store?

    A: OC'ers stop and read every sign on the door. CC'ers ignore them all because they understand the term conspicuous. Carry Humor.
    "I'm kinda high (or maybe low) profile around here, to hate on me is just sour grapes." - NCHeel

    "Nuts" followed by "You can go straight to Hell." Jake from Jericho

  19. #19
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    agreed HEEL, carry is always better. but did you notice the line in the constitution;

    "Nothing herein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons, or prevent the General Assembly from enacting penal statutes against that practice."

    you could say that CC is anti constitutional
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  20. #20
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Papa, Kerner vs State NC Supreme court officially affirmed that open carry is constitutional. Open Carry in North Carolina IS constitutional carry.

    While many people would like to ignore the ruling, pretend it does not exist, or outright try to get around it, the ruling exists.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •