Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NoVa OC Picnic this Summer?

NoVa OC Picnic this Summer?

My wife and I enjoyed the picnic two years ago, but for a variety of reasons the idea didn't come up last year.

Prime picnic season is still a couple months away, but I figured that it might be a good idea to start thinking about it now.

Anyone else up for a picnic? There are a variety of parks that we could use that would be fairly easy for everyone to get to.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

I'm up for it. Never been to one - newbie... As long as it does not conflict with my Studebaker events.

If you build it, they will come....

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

I'm up for it.
    Chance favors only the prepared mind.

Louis Pasteur

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    If you build it, they will come....

Roscoe
    This! I'll even venture North of the Ni if the location is remotely handicapped accessable or provides for a short distance to walk from parking to the area around the table(s).

BTW - put me down for bringing the potato salad. I promise to keep it cooled on the way up North.

stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 03-28-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: %$#@ typo
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I am sure I can get the family together to go.

Founder's Club Member
    Count me in.

We need to form a committee to persuade User to make more of his baked beans. Y'all ain't hit the pinnacle of good eatin' til you tried some of his baked beans.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

My family would love to be involved. I'll have 5 useless eaters with me, but they're good for entertainment value.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Count me in.

We need to form a committee to persuade User to make more of his baked beans. Y'all ain't hit the pinnacle of good eatin' til you tried some of his baked beans.
    They're so good I got (what passes for) the recipe from him after the last picnic. Of course, it's more like a list of suggestions without any specific quantities attached, but that's where half the fun in cooking comes from.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    We didn't have one last year, as far as I know. No one stepped up to coordinate it.

Are you still thinking Burke Lake Park? There was a true reason for that choice after the first year, but many of the regulars from that time (BobCav, Longwatch, Tomahawk, IanB) don't participate here any more.

What would others think about Fort Hunt Park?

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    We didn't have one last year, as far as I know. No one stepped up to coordinate it.
    I kept thinking about it, but then by brother-in-law was getting married in Houston, and I got somewhat distracted.

Are you still thinking Burke Lake Park?
    I don't really have anything specific in mind.

As I said in the first post, there are several good parks that we could use. Unless we are given a good reason to choose a specific park, I would suggest that we try to make it as centrally located to as many people as possible. In that respect, Burke Lake could be a good choice, but there are many other options available.

Another possibility would be to combine an OC picnic with another activity. For example, we could all OC to a Potomac Nationals game, and have a picnic at Davis Ford Park, where the stadium is located.

It all really depends on who wants to come and what people want to do.

+2 if the time/date works

Are you still thinking Burke Lake Park? There was a true reason for that choice after the first year, but many of the regulars from that time (BobCav, Longwatch, Tomahawk, IanB) don't participate here any more.

What would others think about Fort Hunt Park?
    Howdy to my good friend Tess! IanB still reads, but rarely posts. There has to be a reason for me to post, and most days I find no reason.

Regarding the picnic last year (or lack thereof), all it would have taken is a volunteer to organize it. The same applies this year. Who will step up? If you create it, they will come...

That was 6 years ago, and in the time since there haven't been any further incidents. I think by now we can call that a victory, right?

As a result, I would say that there isn't some burning need to hold the picnic at Burke Lake Park this next time. We still can (if that's where it would be most convenient for people), but there isn't some big need to do it there like there was in years past.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    actually, after the firestorm in the Reston Patch last weekend, I'd only be half joking if I said I'd like to do it in a park in Reston.

actually, after the firestorm in the Reston Patch last weekend, I'd only be half joking if I said I'd like to do it in a park in Reston.

Lake Fairfax Park
    1400 Lake Fairfax Drive
    Reston, VA 20190

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    What about somewhere a little more south of the Woodbridge/Dale City area. Like maybe somewhere in the lower southeast end of Prince William County or Stafford County so that the folks from the Richmond area have an easier go of it joining in the fun. It the date and time work out, I would like to make this one.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 03-28-2013 at 09:51 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    What about somewhere a little more south of the Woodbridge/Dale City area. Like maybe somewhere in the lower southeast end of Prince William County or Stafford County so that the folks from the Richmond area have an easier go of it joining in the fun. It the date and time work out, I would like to make this one.
    First, the thread title is NoVA Picnic, not NoVA, Richmond, Roanoke, Danville, and Bristol.

Second, them people from Richmond get kinda uppity about NoVA being Yankee territory. Having our picnics up here tends to weed out those hypercritical personalities.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

NoVa Picnic

"Hey Boo Boo, I could really go for one of those pic-i-nic type baskets!" - Yogi

I'm up for one. I'd like to meet ya'll since I'm new to OC.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    First, the thread title is NoVA Picnic, not NoVA, Richmond, Roanoke, Danville, and Bristol.

Second, them people from Richmond get kinda uppity about NoVA being Yankee territory. Having our picnics up here tends to weed out those hypercritical personalities.

That is certainly true, but at least one well established reside of our state capital has expressed an interest in come up so I just thought I would throw that out. No harm done.

Yes few do "kinda uppity about NoVA being Yankee territory" but can you blame them. It is a true statement since this area has been infested with so many foreigners (read that as non-indigenous persons) that there are perhaps less than 25% of us who are natives and of those, many have been brainwashed with so much anti-Virginia and anti-South rhetoric that one would be hard put to count them as true Virginians. I have lived in the DC metro area for my entire life (67 years) and I have seen huge changes in the dynamics and demographics of this area. There are still a few of us who carry that spark in our chests. I am one and I'm sure a bunch more reside on these forums.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

I might be a little biased, but I wouldn't mind sticking with Burke Lake Park.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    That is certainly true, but at least one well established reside of our state capital has expressed an interest in come up so I just thought I would throw that out. No harm done.

Yes few do "kinda uppity about NoVA being Yankee territory" but can you blame them. It is a true statement since this area has been infested with so many foreigners (read that as non-indigenous persons) that there are perhaps less than 25% of us who are natives and of those, many have been brainwashed with so much anti-Virginia and anti-South rhetoric that one would be hard put to count them as true Virginians. I have lived in the DC metro area for my entire life (67 years) and I have seen huge changes in the dynamics and demographics of this area. There are still a few of us who carry that spark in our chests. I am one and I'm sure a bunch more reside on these forums.
    Good! Then I'm sure they won't mind if we don't bring no furriners south for a picnic! Guys like Tex1n, IanB, myself, a couple Asian Americans... We'll just keep all us non-native Virginians up here.

Founder's Club Member
    Bump for exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    My wife and I enjoyed the picnic two years ago, but for a variety of reasons the idea didn't come up last year.

Prime picnic season is still a couple months away, but I figured that it might be a good idea to start thinking about it now.

Anyone else up for a picnic? There are a variety of parks that we could use that would be fairly easy for everyone to get to.
    I'm in. What are we lacking?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast