• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVa OC Picnic this Summer?

grylnsmn

My wife and I enjoyed the picnic two years ago, but for a variety of reasons the idea didn't come up last year.

Prime picnic season is still a couple months away, but I figured that it might be a good idea to start thinking about it now.

Anyone else up for a picnic? There are a variety of parks that we could use that would be fairly easy for everyone to get to.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you build it, they will come....

Roscoe

This! I'll even venture North of the Ni if the location is remotely handicapped accessable or provides for a short distance to walk from parking to the area around the table(s).

BTW - put me down for bringing the potato salad. I promise to keep it cooled on the way up North.:lol:

stay safe.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Count me in.

We need to form a committee to persuade User to make more of his baked beans. Y'all ain't hit the pinnacle of good eatin' til you tried some of his baked beans.

Defrock

My family would love to be involved. I'll have 5 useless eaters with me, but they're good for entertainment value.:lol:

grylnsmn

Count me in.

We need to form a committee to persuade User to make more of his baked beans. Y'all ain't hit the pinnacle of good eatin' til you tried some of his baked beans.

They're so good I got (what passes for) the recipe from him after the last picnic. Of course, it's more like a list of suggestions without any specific quantities attached, but that's where half the fun in cooking comes from. :)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
We didn't have one last year, as far as I know. No one stepped up to coordinate it.

Are you still thinking Burke Lake Park? There was a true reason for that choice after the first year, but many of the regulars from that time (BobCav, Longwatch, Tomahawk, IanB) don't participate here any more.

What would others think about Fort Hunt Park?

grylnsmn

We didn't have one last year, as far as I know. No one stepped up to coordinate it.
I kept thinking about it, but then by brother-in-law was getting married in Houston, and I got somewhat distracted.

Are you still thinking Burke Lake Park?
I don't really have anything specific in mind.

As I said in the first post, there are several good parks that we could use. Unless we are given a good reason to choose a specific park, I would suggest that we try to make it as centrally located to as many people as possible. In that respect, Burke Lake could be a good choice, but there are many other options available.

Another possibility would be to combine an OC picnic with another activity. For example, we could all OC to a Potomac Nationals game, and have a picnic at Davis Ford Park, where the stadium is located.

It all really depends on who wants to come and what people want to do.

IanB

Are you still thinking Burke Lake Park? There was a true reason for that choice after the first year, but many of the regulars from that time (BobCav, Longwatch, Tomahawk, IanB) don't participate here any more.

What would others think about Fort Hunt Park?

Howdy to my good friend Tess! IanB still reads, but rarely posts. There has to be a reason for me to post, and most days I find no reason.

Regarding the picnic last year (or lack thereof), all it would have taken is a volunteer to organize it. The same applies this year. Who will step up? If you create it, they will come...

grylnsmn

That was 6 years ago, and in the time since there haven't been any further incidents. I think by now we can call that a victory, right?

As a result, I would say that there isn't some burning need to hold the picnic at Burke Lake Park this next time. We still can (if that's where it would be most convenient for people), but there isn't some big need to do it there like there was in years past.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
actually, after the firestorm in the Reston Patch last weekend, I'd only be half joking if I said I'd like to do it in a park in Reston.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
What about somewhere a little more south of the Woodbridge/Dale City area. Like maybe somewhere in the lower southeast end of Prince William County or Stafford County so that the folks from the Richmond area have an easier go of it joining in the fun. It the date and time work out, I would like to make this one.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What about somewhere a little more south of the Woodbridge/Dale City area. Like maybe somewhere in the lower southeast end of Prince William County or Stafford County so that the folks from the Richmond area have an easier go of it joining in the fun. It the date and time work out, I would like to make this one.

First, the thread title is NoVA Picnic, not NoVA, Richmond, Roanoke, Danville, and Bristol.

Second, them people from Richmond get kinda uppity about NoVA being Yankee territory. Having our picnics up here tends to weed out those hypercritical personalities.

:p:)

bbMurphy

NoVa Picnic

"Hey Boo Boo, I could really go for one of those pic-i-nic type baskets!" - Yogi

I'm up for one. I'd like to meet ya'll since I'm new to OC.