Thread: Miami dade fire/rescue viloates 1st Amemdment.

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar

Miami dade fire/rescue viloates 1st Amemdment.

This is a fire captain with quite the ego. Being in the fire service for several years now I wanted to puke when I watched this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxF2PLLSyAs
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Just wow....Smart could have very easily just said, hey man, need ya to step back a bit, I need 300 feet between you and the bird...His attitude was what caused all the issue..
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
    Just wow....Smart could have very easily just said, hey man, need ya to step back a bit, I need 300 feet between you and the bird...His attitude was what caused all the issue..
    Trust me, the guy doing the filming was at a safe distance to begin with.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

n.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    I've had helicopters land closer than 300ft to me. Never once was I told to move.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

from the looks of the video. it looked like he was about that far from the chopper. but who makes that a law anyway. lets say that fly it that close to your property. would you be obligated by law to leave. just another priq with too much perceived power
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    from the looks of the video. it looked like he was about that far from the chopper. but who makes that a law anyway. lets say that fly it that close to your property. would you be obligated by law to leave. just another priq with too much perceived power
    I'm not aware of any law that states how far back you have to be from an aircraft. I have been a part of dozens of airlifts just like this one. The only time I ever remember us saying anything to media (Newspaper, TV, private citizen) was one summer night years ago we were flying out a car wreck victim. The guy from the newspaper snapped a couple of pictures of the landing helicopter with his flash on. We politely ask him if he would not use his flash while they were landing in fear that it may mess up the pilots night vision.

But I agree. This Captain had a power trip issue. Badges don't grant extra right for anyone. Including Fire/EMS folks.
    Last edited by self preservation; 03-29-2013 at 10:45 AM.

n.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    I've had helicopters land closer than 300ft to me. Never once was I told to move.
    I can't speak for every fire dept. or EMS agency in the country, only my department. But if you are not physically interfering with what we are doing, we couldn't care less.

n.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    I guess it would just depend on the surrounding area.

Since this helicopter was landing on grassy sand then there wasn't much flying debris that could injure somebody as far away as the guy filming this was.

That is probably why the FD picked this place as the landing zone. It looks like they transported the patient from where they were to there.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Banned
    I would have placed the Capt. under arrest ... yelling at you for no reason? That's assault and battery ... hurting my ears

What a schmuck. I am guessing that I would have warned him one time to not touch me and then called 911 and reported being assaulted and needing to defend myself.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    I guess it would just depend on the surrounding area.

Since this helicopter was landing on grassy sand then there wasn't much flying debris that could injure somebody as far away as the guy filming this was.

That is probably why the FD picked this place as the landing zone. It looks like they transported the patient from where they were to there.
    i know we have such a legalistic society, but wouldn't that be the camera man's problem. after all he lut himself there

but i believe what set the fireman off was the word NO
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

i know we have such a legalistic society, but wouldn't that be the camera man's problem. after all he lut himself there

but i believe what set the fireman off was the word NO
    I guess he felt his "manhood" was in jeopardy?
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

A little bit of 'roid rage maybe. His time would have been better spent with the injured. His beligerence may have caused me to bring out pepper spray out of concern for my personal safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper View Post
    A little bit of 'roid rage maybe. His time would have been better spent with the injured. His beligerence may have caused me to bring out pepper spray out of concern for my personal safety.
    +1

I think it would be a bit difficult to sue. One firearm says "You need to step back." and that would be the end of it. If the cameraman didn't step back then it would have be only his fault for being there.

But I, like you, believe in personal responsibility. If you have a capable mind for you to be out unsupervised then what you do should fall solely on your shoulders.

I was just pointing out that the cameraman had reason to believe he would be safe there (he was even protected by the rescue vehicles) and he probably was. I have been much closer to helicopters landing and I felt plenty safe.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.