• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Miami dade fire/rescue viloates 1st Amemdment.

papa bear

from the looks of the video. it looked like he was about that far from the chopper. but who makes that a law anyway. lets say that fly it that close to your property. would you be obligated by law to leave. just another priq with too much perceived power

self preservation

from the looks of the video. it looked like he was about that far from the chopper. but who makes that a law anyway. lets say that fly it that close to your property. would you be obligated by law to leave. just another priq with too much perceived power

I'm not aware of any law that states how far back you have to be from an aircraft. I have been a part of dozens of airlifts just like this one. The only time I ever remember us saying anything to media (Newspaper, TV, private citizen) was one summer night years ago we were flying out a car wreck victim. The guy from the newspaper snapped a couple of pictures of the landing helicopter with his flash on. We politely ask him if he would not use his flash while they were landing in fear that it may mess up the pilots night vision.

But I agree. This Captain had a power trip issue. Badges don't grant extra right for anyone. Including Fire/EMS folks.

Last edited:

09jisaac

Trust me, the guy doing the filming was at a safe distance to begin with.

I guess it would just depend on the surrounding area.

Since this helicopter was landing on grassy sand then there wasn't much flying debris that could injure somebody as far away as the guy filming this was.

That is probably why the FD picked this place as the landing zone. It looks like they transported the patient from where they were to there.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would have placed the Capt. under arrest ... yelling at you for no reason? That's assault and battery ... hurting my ears

carolina guy

What a schmuck. I am guessing that I would have warned him one time to not touch me and then called 911 and reported being assaulted and needing to defend myself.

Ca Patriot

I have shot numerous scenes where fire rescue helicopters are landing and taking off and I have been allowed to stand MUCH closer than that !!!

This fire captian needs to be drug tested and then given a mental health examine and then fired.

Watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEK4IanjApM

Last edited:

papa bear

I guess it would just depend on the surrounding area.

Since this helicopter was landing on grassy sand then there wasn't much flying debris that could injure somebody as far away as the guy filming this was.

That is probably why the FD picked this place as the landing zone. It looks like they transported the patient from where they were to there.

i know we have such a legalistic society, but wouldn't that be the camera man's problem. after all he lut himself there

but i believe what set the fireman off was the word NO

Peacekeeper

A little bit of 'roid rage maybe. His time would have been better spent with the injured. His beligerence may have caused me to bring out pepper spray out of concern for my personal safety.

09jisaac

i know we have such a legalistic society, but wouldn't that be the camera man's problem. after all he lut himself there

I think it would be a bit difficult to sue. One firearm says "You need to step back." and that would be the end of it. If the cameraman didn't step back then it would have be only his fault for being there.

But I, like you, believe in personal responsibility. If you have a capable mind for you to be out unsupervised then what you do should fall solely on your shoulders.

I was just pointing out that the cameraman had reason to believe he would be safe there (he was even protected by the rescue vehicles) and he probably was. I have been much closer to helicopters landing and I felt plenty safe.