• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need Kydex Help!

njkennelly

Is there anyone out there that can help me remold my kydex?

I have a hybrid for a 5" non-railed 1911. I just sold that one and bought a 4" railed 1911. Just need to do a little remolding with a heat gun and a press.

DSC08610.jpg

If you can help, please hit me up. I live in the Centennial Hills/Providence Area but will travel.

WalkingWolf

Just my opinion, but if it was mine I would only use the heat gun to allow the rail to fit. Never know when you may trade again for a 5 inch model.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Before you start the forge burning, I suggest that you cut a pie plate to match the current shape and size of the Kydex, then see what happens when you try to mold that over the rail.

You are likely to find that it's a no-go, because the volume and profile of the pistol are greater, just like when you poke your feet up in bed and pull the blanket out.

I'd contact the holster maker to get a new outer panel that fits your new pistol, and get it done right.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Before you start the forge burning, I suggest that you cut a pie plate to match the current shape and size of the Kydex, then see what happens when you try to mold that over the rail.

You are likely to find that it's a no-go, because the volume and profile of the pistol are greater, just like when you poke your feet up in bed and pull the blanket out.

I'd contact the holster maker to get a new outer panel that fits your new pistol, and get it done right.

I agree with this strategy. You may end up with the Kydex being thinner than you like.

njkennelly

Thanks Gents. That's some good advice. I called a local Kydexer and will try go see him tomorrow. We are goin to examine both options.

Good day

njkennelly

Thanks. I have done quite a bit of kydex work and would definitely do it myself, however, all my belongings are in government storage until july when my house will be done being built.

Thanks for the help though.

I SAID GOOD DAY!

WalkingWolf

Thanks. I have done quite a bit of kydex work and would definitely do it myself, however, all my belongings are in government storage until july when my house will be done being built.

Thanks for the help though.

I SAID GOOD DAY!

Good luck! Hopefully it turns out for you.:cool:

njkennelly

I got together with that local Kydexer this morning. He was very nice and helped me remold my kydex. It turned out perfect for the perfect price.

Thanks all.