• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Performs Below Average On Gun Freedom

Law abider

I was surprised at the above statement by the Mercatus center, George mason University. I was reading how states rank with each other in various catagories. WI came out 38 out of 50 overall. This statement in the article surprised me: The state also performs below average on gun freedom What?:question::question: I have read most of the opinions on this blog and the from seasoned people like Protias, interceptor old grump, MKE, No Tolerance Grapeshot, Amnut, McX, Paul Fisher, etc... and have gotten the impression that we have a good CC law and we have open carry without needing a license. So is the above statement accurate, outdated, or plain old biased.
What is lacking in our right to keep and bear arms???

Here is the article: http://freedominthe50states.org/overall/wisconsin

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

The state also performs below average on gun freedom and travel freedom

Beats me if they would have said why we might have something to go on.

whats travel freedom?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I was surprised at the above statement by the Mercatus center, George mason University. I was reading how states rank with each other in various catagories. WI came out 38 out of 50 overall. This statement in the article surprised me: The state also performs below average on gun freedom What?:question::question: I have read most of the opinions on this blog and the from seasoned people like Protias, interceptor old grump, MKE, No Tolerance Grapeshot, Amnut, McX, Paul Fisher, etc... and have gotten the impression that we have a good CC law and we have open carry without needing a license. So is the above statement accurate, outdated, or plain old biased.
What is lacking in our right to keep and bear arms???

Here is the article: http://freedominthe50states.org/overall/wisconsin

It looks to me that the rankings were made in 2011 and (unless I missed it) there is no ranking on "gun freedom" alone, and that it is just one of a number of factors weighed under the category of "personal freedom."

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Much of Wisconsin lies within the Department of Homeland Security Customs and Border Protection 'No Rights Zone', within 100 miles of the border.

http://www.aclu.org/constitution-free-zone-map

The person that devised that map needs a lesson in map reading and geography. There is very little of Wisconsin that lies within 100 miles of the Canadian border: The Apostle Islands and a portion of Bayfield County peninsula, and perhaps small bits of northern Douglas, Ashland and Iron Counties. That the "border area" extends down the Lake Michigan shoreline to Chicago, which must be close to 250 miles from the nearest border, is hilarious.

Law abider

If the map is correct, you guys/gals in eastern WI are screwed. We in Pierce county are not covered. This is another way by the admin to infringe on your 2ndA. I contacted bhoener and Ron Johnson via e mail. Now to call them.

benraines

Guns & Ammo Ranks Wisconsin 25th

Link: http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/03/14/ga-ranks-the-best-states-for-gun-owners-in-2013/

Some of the information is incorrect. The G&A article states Wisconsinites cannot own full auto. That isn't true. We can legally own all NFA weapons.

Part of article: "In Wisconsin, there is a 48-hour waiting period on handgun purchases. As of 2011, the state has concealed carry with no duty to inform, but no carry on some city buses. Machine guns are not legal to own."

Anyone know about the "city bus" carry?

Johnny Bravo

The state also performs below average on gun freedom and travel freedom

Beats me if they would have said why we might have something to go on.

whats travel freedom?

Maybe by travel freedom, they're talking about registration and the such.

I fought the DOT for 3 years to get plates for my truck because they didn't like it and tried their hardest to prove that it wasn't built for on road use. It was a military Blazer & their claim was it didn't have the fmvss sticker on the door. I did win & got the collector plates for my truck. Also there was a guy with a VW Beetle that they denied collector plates to because he had a modern radio in it, & a fellow with a 50s Jeep they wouldn't give plates to because it was painted green.

For anyone interested in the push for Wi vehicle rights you might want to check this site out, they have up links to the new bill & to sign up to show your support for the bill. http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySection/2013 WI Legislation/2013Legis.html

E6chevron

It looks to me that the rankings were made in 2011 and (unless I missed it) there is no ranking on "gun freedom" alone, and that it is just one of a number of factors weighed under the category of "personal freedom."

Auric,

Yes, I would agree that since very few law changes were in effect until Nov. 1, 2011 with regard to concealed carry especially, it was more repressive when the study was prepared. Changes that affected transport and carry when hunting, also went into effect, after that.