• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ever happen to you?

Mykhael

Had to take our 3 year old son to the hospital, He was having a ashtma attack. They were treating him and also asking us questions from a paper the nurse had. Half way through the questions she asked "Are there guns or a gun in the home?" My wife looked at me and I told the nurse it was non of the hospitals buisness. She asked me if that was a yer or no. I said again none of your buisness.

I dont know what she ended up putting. Just curious if anyone else has been asked that? I went to the ER as well once before not long ago and they never asked that.

F350

Had to take our 3 year old son to the hospital, He was having a ashtma attack. They were treating him and also asking us questions from a paper the nurse had. Half way through the questions she asked "Are there guns or a gun in the home?" My wife looked at me and I told the nurse it was non of the hospitals buisness. She asked me if that was a yer or no. I said again none of your buisness.

I dont know what she ended up putting. Just curious if anyone else has been asked that? I went to the ER as well once before not long ago and they never asked that.

I have said again and again and again..LIE LIE LIE I can almost guarantee the paperwork carries a YES answer to that question, you should have just said NO and moved on.

I have been lying on such questionnaires since the early 80s, if you combine all of them I'm black-aisian-pacific islander-latino-native american......; between the ages of 24 and 85 and I have never drank alcohol, used tobacco or engaged in promiscuous sex........

NEVER GIVE THE GOVERNMENT A STRAIGHT ANSWER TO ANYTHING!!!!!!!

Last edited:

kcgunfan

The right answer is: "Why? Do you think someone shot him and caused the asthma attack?"

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

davidmcbeth

Banned

Go find out what she put down if you are worried .... or just say "what's the right answer?"

Broondog

i have been hearing about this sort of thing quite frequently as of late on all of the gun boards i frequent, and it is distressing.

i myself have not encountered such a thing yet tho i don't go to the doc very often either. then again, everybody around here can pretty much bet that everybody else is armed in some fashion so i'm sure the local sawbones wouldn't even bother with the question.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Not worried about it. Just simply asking if anyone else has been asked before at a hospital.

Hospitals are run by companies ... contact their board of directors and start making them spend time addressing it ... they don't like wasting their resources ...

Oramac

Never experienced it myself, but I don't have kids and haven't been to a doctor in almost 3 years.

It is quite disturbing though. I've heard of it happening all over the country, not just here. It's really a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of question.

HP995

Lot of bad trends in the medical world, at least around here. Another trend is withholding nourishment from ailing patients almost by default, unless effortless recovery is a sure thing. Now when some people die at the hospital, I wonder whether they would have been better off (and maybe still alive) at home. Seriously, people right and left are being finished off in a hurry, ahead of their natural and normal time to go.

We should try to make them sorry for asking such a stupid question, not necessarily by being rude, although that might be an option, just being a PITA. You could ask the nurse if there is a gun at her home. Or if any of her relatives own guns. I'm sure she wouldn't answer that and would just semi-rudely persist for a yes or no, but we could keep talking about it for a while to be annoying. Everyone out there has at least one gunowner relative. This might turn on an inner light bulb. Or maybe not.

But I have asthma, and I know that if you're the patient you sure don't feel like talking to make a point, and if it's a family member you might have the breath to talk but you want to focus on the health problem instead of battling against politics and control games. They have the advantage at the moment. I think the suggest to call and complain later is a good one. Raise some hell on the phone.

The truth is when you go to a hospital you're usually at a disadvantage. I was abused by ambulance and hospital staff when I was too weak to move, and they should have been sued but I didn't have time and money and health to pursue it. I still might. They treated me really badly and took a ton of my money - the jerks! Be wary of hospitals.

FL2011

Lot of bad trends in the medical world, at least around here. Another trend is withholding nourishment from ailing patients almost by default, unless effortless recovery is a sure thing.

Kind if off topic but there are valid medical/pathophysiological reasons for this. Won't go into details now but if you're interested your local hospice group will have information about this.

Now when some people die at the hospital, I wonder whether they would have been better off (and maybe still alive) at home.

As a medical professional I certainly don't doubt this. Part of the problem is people with serious chronic or end stage conditions aren't having frank conversations about end of life care with their families and physicians.

People don't realize that being in a hospital is not a benign thing has risks of its own (hospital acquired infections, medical errors, etc....).

spacecoast321

The medical profession views firearms as pathogens or an illness causing vector. They are attempting to see if your household is "infectious". Dr would then lecture you on removing the "infectious" devices, guns locks, etc. All this information is gathered, the CDC needs it for the Obama Executive Order study. In FL the medical community is generally prohibited by law from asking, the medical community is attempting to have the law repealed.
And yes, if the hospital staff considers you "not viable" they will withhold food and regular medical treatment to finish you. You need an advocate to visit EVERY day and be nosey about your care.

Last edited:

HyDef

I imagine there will be a government study that will come out saying that children are 60% more likely to get asthma in homes that have firearms in them. Also, children are 3 times more likely to drown, choke on their chicken nuggets, or be sexually molested if their evil parents own guns. Ban guns. Do it for the children. :rolleyes: /end sarcasm.

FL2011

The medical profession views firearms as pathogens or an illness causing vector. They are attempting to see if your household is "infectious". Dr would then lecture you on removing the "infectious" devices, guns locks, etc. All this information is gathered, the CDC needs it for the Obama Executive Order study. In FL the medical community is generally prohibited by law from asking, the medical community is attempting to have the law repealed.
And yes, if the hospital staff considers you "not viable" they will withhold food and regular medical treatment to finish you. You need an advocate to visit EVERY day and be nosey about your care.

I wouldn't lump all medical providers into that boat in regards to that viewpoint on firearms. Most of my colleagues have the opposite opinion and frankly could care less what someone may own or doesn't own. I think most of that comes from certain liberal leaders of organizations such as pediatrics groups who have that viewpoint and try to make it into "policy". I doubt your average physician truly cares.

And no, hospital staff can't just withhold treatment without proper orders, family discussions, etc...

OC for ME

I wouldn't lump all medical providers into that boat in regards to that viewpoint on firearms. Most of my colleagues have the opposite opinion and frankly could care less what someone may own or doesn't own. I think most of that comes from certain liberal leaders of organizations such as pediatrics groups who have that viewpoint and try to make it into "policy". I doubt your average physician truly cares.

And no, hospital staff can't just withhold treatment without proper orders, family discussions, etc...
Then why not have a doctor, who allegedly supports the 2A, direct medical staff to arbitrarily, and without further prompting, to enter "no" and skip that question all together.

If HIPA means anything, I contend that it does not other than as a excuse to protect doctors and not patients, then a medical record identifying gun ownership is irrelevant. Unless of course a member of the household is allergic to gun oil.

The question is not relevant to medical care even if the treatment is for a gunshot wound.

Doctors must take the lead on this and not fall back on....."Well, the government requires me to ask, ya know government is, I'm just trying to keep my job.....did you say yes or no?"

kellogg2185

This is interesting, from "The Bias Against Guns" by John Lott:

With the American Medical Association recommending in 2001 that physicians ask patients about gun ownership during office visits, this type of experience is likely to become more and more common for others.96 A coalition of doctor organizations, which claims to represent two-thirds of all doctors, has made similar recommendations, and they propose making these questions part of the training given in medical school.97

Lott, John R. (2003-02-01). The Bias Against Guns: Why Almost Everything You'Ve Heard About Gun Control Is Wrong (Kindle Locations 1454-1458). Regnery Publishing. Kindle Edition.

MKEgal

This topic has come up many times.
Most people answer nunaya... as in none of ya bizniss.
I usually try this first, and not just to the gun question, but to anything which doesn't relate to the problem at hand.

I once had a job send me to have a physical, and their form asked "LMP". I put n/a. The examiner explained what it stood for (I already knew) and asked the date. I said, "I doubt that working in a nursing home will have anything to do with my breeding potential, so it's not a job-related question." He moved on. :lol:
kcgunfan said:
The right answer is: "Why? Do you think someone shot him and caused the asthma attack?"
Yep. This is Good Tactic #2.
#3 is generally my favorite, since it almost always shuts them up:
"Yes, I do. I'm a firearm safety instructor. Did you have a safety question you need answered, or do you want to arrange a class for your staff?"

For those with children, you have to teach them to either say no (and yes, they'd be lying, but this is an OK lie) or say something like "that's something you'd have to talk with my parents about". And keep repeating it.

OC for ME said:
Then why not have a doctor, who allegedly supports the 2A, direct medical staff to arbitrarily, and without further prompting, to enter "no" and skip that question all together.
Or the staff person, being a liberty-loving patriot, could decide to skip the question or answer 'no' without asking the patient.

The question is not relevant to medical care even if the treatment is for a gunshot wound.
If it was someone in the household (including the patient) who caused the wound, they'd probably want to keep that person away from the patient, or make sure the patient (who hurt himself) was under observation & not allowed anything harmful.
Of course, that would definitely get reported to the police, who would almost certainly break in & search the house, steal any guns they could find, etc. :mad: