Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Openly carrying a Ruger LCP...?

Red face Openly carrying a Ruger LCP...?

I just got a Ruger LCP yesterday and do not yet have a CPL. What are your thoughts on someone OCing a subcompact?

It's the only handgun I own and I have a nice leather OWB holster for it with a thumb snap... I'm really trying to resist the urge to OC it while doing my daily business, or even just for a walk around the neighbourhood to test it out. Is this bad? Should I just wait for my CPL (or a bigger gun)?
    You can never be too rich, too good-looking, or too well-armed.

Thumbs up

I OC a Kel-Tec P11 daily! Go for it!
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

I see no reason not to~~wear it proudly.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

The purpose of the weapon should be for the protection of you and your loved ones against the chance you are where something bad goes down. If you don't have it on you, it can't help you. It will do the job if you need it. Carry it

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    The LCP is not a subcompact handgun. It is smaller than that is is loosely referred to as a mouse gun or mini gun. It is better than a hammer but does not suffice as a serious self defense handgun. Yet if that is all you have than go for it and carry it until you can get something in a more powerful caliber and load. This is not to disparage your new gun in any way, but rather to help you understand the purpose of its design and use. I carry an LCP when I go out and about at the beach in the cargo pocket of my shorts. Is it my preferred carry gun? Absolutely not. Is it one I do carry when the situation presents itself that it is my better choice. Absolutely yes.

So yes, carry it. And then as time and funds allow, consider picking up something in at least a 9mm configuration for your primary carry gun.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    The LCP is not a subcompact handgun. It is smaller than that is is loosely referred to as a mouse gun or mini gun. It is better than a hammer but does not suffice as a serious self defense handgun. Yet if that is all you have than go for it and carry it until you can get something in a more powerful caliber and load. This is not to disparage your new gun in any way, but rather to help you understand the purpose of its design and use. I carry an LCP when I go out and about at the beach in the cargo pocket of my shorts. Is it my preferred carry gun? Absolutely not. Is it one I do carry when the situation presents itself that it is my better choice. Absolutely yes.

So yes, carry it. And then as time and funds allow, consider picking up something in at least a 9mm configuration for your primary carry gun.
    I know the LCP's intended purpose, I wanted one when I got my CPL; fate had it that I'd get it sooner.

I realize it's not an ideal defensive weapon, and I'm working on getting a mid-size 9mm.

Thanks for the input.

The LCP ... is better than a hammer but does not suffice as a serious self defense handgun. ....
    Name a case of civilian self-defense where a human attacker advanced through .380 (or less) gunfire to continue the attack.

It will clearly be an exception, and you can probably find even more of these flukes happening with more-often carried rounds like the almighty .45.

Never belittle someone for carrying a small firearm. Commend them for carrying a firearm.
    Last edited by MAC702; 03-30-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Openly carrying a Ruger LCP...?

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Name a case of civilian self-defense where a human attacker advanced through .380 (or less) gunfire to continue the attack.

It will clearly be an exception, and you can probably find even more of these flukes happening with more-often carried rounds like the almighty .45.

Never belittle someone for carrying a small firearm. Commend them for carrying a firearm.
    +1
    (Some people feel inadequate, I guess. But I do dry the line at wearing a HiPoint ;-)

Hey, I'm perfectly fine carrying a .380 Auto most days. I'm probably one of the few remaining fans of .32 Auto, so the .380 is just a step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Samopal View Post
    ...I'm probably one of the few remaining fans of .32 Auto...
    I'm known to slip my VZ-70 in my tuxedo and call it a night...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

If you read my post, you would have seen that I did no such thing. In fact, I even admitted that I carried an LCP at times where I deemed it to be the better choice. Of course I commend people who carry. There are better choices that a .380ACP just as there are better choices than a 9mm. But one carries what one carries and if that is their choice or option at the time, so be it.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

I directly quoted what I was referring to. To tell someone that their sidearm is not a "serious self-defense handgun" is belittling them, IN MY OPINION. You are, of course, welcome to argue otherwise.
    Last edited by MAC702; 03-30-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Banned
    No one was "belittled." A rational post as to the value of the LCP as a defensive firearm was made that addressed the firearm and not the carrier.

Personally, I think that the LCP would be a great backup gun. I wouldn't carry it myself as a primary, but I can see others, in their unique circumstances, choosing this reliable and compact firearm as their primary.

I hope no one sees this as belittling anyone who chooses to carry an LCP!

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    No one was "belittled." A rational post as to the value of the LCP as a defensive firearm was made that addressed the firearm and not the carrier.

Personally, I think that the LCP would be a great backup gun. I wouldn't carry it myself as a primary, but I can see others, in their unique circumstances, choosing this reliable and compact firearm as their primary.

I hope no one sees this as belittling anyone who chooses to carry an LCP!
    Precisely. Most of us know that a handgun is a compromise as far as a defensive firearm is concerned. Certainly better than other tools but not the match of a rifle or shotgun. And in the handgun ranks, there are handguns which are better and worse than other handguns for various reasons.

The intended purpose of guns such as the LCP Ruger is that of backup or when the situation is such that a primary carry gun is not available or advised, a temporary primary. I do completely agree with your statement, "but I can see others, in their unique circumstances, choosing this reliable and compact firearm as their primary" just like I do agree with MAC702's statement about commending people who carry a firearm for their protection. At least the OP has taken the steps to see to his defense and that is what matters most.

America First!

Most days, my edc is a CZ82. It has a nice 9x18HP that leaves a nice hole and affords rapid follow up shots. On some days I will wear my P64 in the same calibre. It is small and I wear it in a fobus paddle out where everyone can see it. I really do not give a rats patoot what others think of my weapon as the only person it is their to please is me. MAC702 said "I'm known to slip my VZ-70 in my tuxedo and call it a night... ". I like that. I wear the P64 when I "dress up" for Herself, it looks good, black frame/white grips, pretty.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Most days, my edc is a CZ82. It has a nice 9x18HP that leaves a nice hole and affords rapid follow up shots. On some days I will wear my P64 in the same calibre. It is small and I wear it in a fobus paddle out where everyone can see it. I really do not give a rats patoot what others think of my weapon as the only person it is their to please is me. MAC702 said "I'm known to slip my VZ-70 in my tuxedo and call it a night... ". I like that. I wear the P64 when I "dress up" for Herself, it looks good, black frame/white grips, pretty.
    We both carry our P63 at times, it is usually my about the farm gun because it is light small and does not interfere in chores. IMO considering that the velocity is much higher than a 38 out of a snub barrel it is more capable. Many people who diss the .380 think nothing of carrying a 38 snub nose, which loses considerable power due to the short barrel. And I am a 38 fan also.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 03-31-2013 at 11:45 AM.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Belittle: to speak slightingly of.

If you guys want to argue the word choice, fine. My point lied elsewhere, and I'll consider that settled.

Banned
    Again, the person was not spoken slightingly of. The capability of the firearm was rationally discussed.

Folks really should distinguish between comments directed at the person and comments directed at the situation or at an object.

You're right. If I comment about your clothing, it in NO WAY should be construed as commenting on your taste in clothing.

I read too much into it and imputed motives falsely. I retract the statement.

Banned
    You are correct. If I wore a short-sleeved shirt on a frigid winter's day and you commented on that shirt's inability to protect against the cold, it would in no way be a comment about me. As a matter of fact, I do wear short-sleeved shirt every day to work, even in the winter. It is my uniform shirt.
    Last edited by eye95; 03-31-2013 at 03:14 PM.

For those who think the .380 is a poor choice, are you willing to be shot with one? Yeah, I thought not. The whole subject of caliber is, well, subjective. The .380 Auto will serve a self defense purpose quite well, since most people won't stick around to check caliber before turning tail or falling to the ground. Those who would face down a small gun are likely not backing down to a more powerful round either.

Banned

Again, a strawman.

Who said the caliber is a poor choice?

The choice depends on a lot of factors, only one of which is stopping power. That being said, it is a fact that the .380 has less stopping power than 9mm, .40, .38 (with or without plusses), .357, .44 (special or mag), .45, 10mm, .454 casull, .50 and dozens more.

But, again, folks are having a rational discussion about a firearm. Why do some folks insist on seeing it as contentious?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    For those who think the .380 is a poor choice, are you willing to be shot with one? Yeah, I thought not. The whole subject of caliber is, well, subjective. The .380 Auto will serve a self defense purpose quite well, since most people won't stick around to check caliber before turning tail or falling to the ground. Those who would face down a small gun are likely not backing down to a more powerful round either.
    I just don't worry about what others think of my caliber choice, it is as simple as that. It is not worth fussing over what some control freak thinks on personal matters.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

The LCP is not a subcompact handgun. It is smaller than that is is loosely referred to as a mouse gun or mini gun. It is better than a hammer but does not suffice as a serious self defense handgun. ....
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95
    ...Who said the caliber is a poor choice?...
    It's not the first time I get accused of not understanding the written word. Perhaps you should move on.

FWIW, I've accepted the further contexting comments of SouthernBoy. And while the T-shirt analogy is greatly flawed (clothing absolutely helps with warmth, whereas a gun's "stopping power" is one of its least attributes that actually stops a fight), I understand your perspective on the issue better because of it.

Banned
    Wow.

Folks, read the post above and its two quotes.

Again, I ask, who said the caliber is a poor choice???

It is beginning to look as though a fight is being seen where there is none.

Not moving on!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast