• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thieves Target Gun Owners In Norfolk

paramedic70002

Norfolk VA: Police see burglary trend: Pro-gun stickers on cars lead to guns in homes

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/51376730/ns/local_news-portsmouth_va/#.UVZHYTfiF0c

Police warn owners of bumper stickers alleging gun ownership could be targets of thieves in Norfolk.

Norfolk police reports show a trend of home burglaries involving people with tactical or gun stickers on their cars.
Some of the the stickers promote a particular gun brand or have message promoting the right to bear arms. Police said while these stickers show pride, they also show thieves you have firearms in your home.
"I guess I'm not too surprised it's happening," gun owner Chad Hixson said. "If you're going to broadcast that you own a gun, it's almost like inviting trouble."
That is why Hixson said he wouldn't be caught putting a gun bumper sticker on his car or home.
"I think it's a little overboard," Hixson said. "It's almost like you are kind of flaunting it. It's like saying, 'Come mess with me. I dare you.' It's almost like you are asking to pick a fight with somebody."
Norfolk Crime Prevention isn't telling gun owners not to flaunt these stickers, but they are telling them to be careful, and mindful of the dangers.
They also suggest keeping your guns locked up in a secure, safe place, and keeping the model and serial numbers of all firearms.

richarcm

I'm sure the officials in Norfolk would like to scare you out of your first amendment promotion of the second amendment.

I'll call their bluff and keep stickers on my car. I'm not living my life in fear of what others may or may not do. I don't an cant have control over other people's behavior. And I will not stay inside all day fearful that someone may mug me or assault me if I go outside. Nor scared to open carry because I supposedly might get shot first in a robbery. Or because I might scare people.

Last edited:

Repeater

Alleging...

"...alleging gun ownership ..."

Alleging? They almost make it sound like some kind of crime.

How about ....

"Open Carry" = "Allegedly Armed"

WalkingWolf

Soooo the police are saying if you do not have pro gun bumper stickers they guarantee you won't be burglarized? That makes as much sense as the "You don't need a gun because the police protect you".