Thread: pistol purchase permit

pistol purchase permit

Hello fellow open carriers. I'm gonna be purchaseing my first pistol a glock 23 next week. I turn 21 in june and i understand i cant buy a pistol from a ffl unless im 21. I can however buy a pistol from a private seller though only with a permit to purchase and to get the permit to purchase you have to be 18 correct? Just making sure i can get one and i dont needa be 21 to get a permit to purchase. Also isnt their some test you have to pass? I wonder if i showed the certificate i got from my cpl class if i'd still have to take it. Thanks for the help!

pistol purchase permit

18 for ptp

I think they did away with the silly test a second grader could pass.

Happy buying.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    18 for ptp

Happy buying.
    Awesome thanks! I figured it'd be a test with ease. I dont wanna waist time taking one if i dont have too. Thanks Q!

Re: pistol purchase permit

18 for ptp

Happy buying.
    A few years ago, I think I watched someone take it a second time... after failing it and having the clerk go over his answers that were incorrect.

Although the "test" was silly, any kind of test to exercise a right is antithetical to the Constitution (the whole "test" and "safety inspection" were to try to cover up the fact that it was REGISTRATION),
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

I agree. We shouldn't have to take a silly test for a god giving right to bear arms!

18 for ptp

Happy buying.
    Wife got her PTP about a month ago, Monroe County Sheriffs Department, no test.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    Wife got her PTP about a month ago, Monroe County Sheriffs Department, no test.
    I just got one a few days ago in Northville Township, no test either.
    You can never be too rich, too good-looking, or too well-armed.

Awesome. How long does the background check take? My record is clear so no worries. Sorry for tue dumb questions kinda new at this stuff lol

pistol purchase permit

Quote Originally Posted by pawn99 View Post
    Awesome. How long does the background check take? My record is clear so no worries. Sorry for tue dumb questions kinda new at this stuff lol
    Depends on the department. The one purchase permit I got from Lansing PD took 15 minutes.

Some departments have illegal policies requiring you wait X amount of time.

The good news is, you can now get you PTP from any police department in the state.

You should work on getting your CPL
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Depends on the department. The one purchase permit I got from Lansing PD took 15 minutes.

Some departments have illegal policies requiring you wait X amount of time.

The good news is, you can now get you PTP from any police department in the state.

You should work on getting your CPL
    Really? Awesome! Haha. I hope it dont take forever and i turn 21 june 25. On my birthday i'm fileing my cpl application and all that good stuff. Already got the money saved in the bank. I took the cpl class michigan reqires and all. Im just waiting for june to come around.

pistol purchase permit

Oh, to be young again....

Re: pistol purchase permit

If you were in Grand Rapids, it could take months...or you might never get it. Has anyone on here ever gotten a "License to Purchase, Carry, Possess, or Transport a Pistol" from Sturgis?
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    If you were in Grand Rapids, it could take months...or you might never get it. Has anyone on here ever gotten a "License to Purchase, Carry, Possess, or Transport a Pistol" from Sturgis?
    Yes haha. I just left our police station in sturgis st joseph county didn't have to take a test or anything i was out in 20 mins. 5 dollars to get signed by a noterized public. Damn them lol.

Yes haha. I just left our police station in sturgis st joseph county didn't have to take a test or anything i was out in 20 mins. 5 dollars to get signed by a noterized public. Damn them lol.
    Yeah before I had a CPL my PD tried to charge me a 10 dollar notary fee, but I told them to sod off and took it to my bank where they provide a notary free of charge :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    Yeah before I had a CPL my PD tried to charge me a 10 dollar notary fee, but I told them to sod off and took it to my bank where they provide a notary free of charge :-D
    Lmao its crazy! 5 dollars to sign a peice of paper lol

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    Northville PD demanded a $10 fee so I took it to Northville Township instead, they did it for free. Very nice people.
    You can never be too rich, too good-looking, or too well-armed.

Waaay back when I used to have to get a PTP, Ingham county took about 5 minutes for the background check. Now, with my CPL, I just fill out form RI-60.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Notaries Public

The main purpose of notarization is to prevent fraud (including against the person seeking the notarization). It involves more than merely "signing a piece of paper." A notary public incurs costs to function as a notary. I do think $10 (or even $5) is excessive. I never have charged a fee and most states limit fees to 50 cents or $1. As mentioned, most banks will provide notary service to customers at no cost. When a notary acts while on the job, the fees are often set/kept by the boss.