• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pistol purchase permit

pawn99

Hello fellow open carriers. I'm gonna be purchaseing my first pistol a glock 23 next week. I turn 21 in june and i understand i cant buy a pistol from a ffl unless im 21. I can however buy a pistol from a private seller though only with a permit to purchase and to get the permit to purchase you have to be 18 correct? Just making sure i can get one and i dont needa be 21 to get a permit to purchase. Also isnt their some test you have to pass? I wonder if i showed the certificate i got from my cpl class if i'd still have to take it. Thanks for the help!

pawn99

18 for ptp

I think they did away with the silly test a second grader could pass.

Happy buying.

Awesome thanks! I figured it'd be a test with ease. I dont wanna waist time taking one if i dont have too. Thanks Q!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
18 for ptp

I think they did away with the silly test a second grader could pass.

Happy buying.

A few years ago, I think I watched someone take it a second time... after failing it and having the clerk go over his answers that were incorrect.

Although the "test" was silly, any kind of test to exercise a right is antithetical to the Constitution (the whole "test" and "safety inspection" were to try to cover up the fact that it was REGISTRATION),

pawn99

Awesome. How long does the background check take? My record is clear so no worries. Sorry for tue dumb questions kinda new at this stuff lol

TheQ

Awesome. How long does the background check take? My record is clear so no worries. Sorry for tue dumb questions kinda new at this stuff lol

Depends on the department. The one purchase permit I got from Lansing PD took 15 minutes.

Some departments have illegal policies requiring you wait X amount of time.

The good news is, you can now get you PTP from any police department in the state.

You should work on getting your CPL ;)

pawn99

Depends on the department. The one purchase permit I got from Lansing PD took 15 minutes.

Some departments have illegal policies requiring you wait X amount of time.

The good news is, you can now get you PTP from any police department in the state.

You should work on getting your CPL ;)

Really? Awesome! Haha. I hope it dont take forever :p and i turn 21 june 25. On my birthday i'm fileing my cpl application and all that good stuff. Already got the money saved in the bank. I took the cpl class michigan reqires and all. Im just waiting for june to come around. :D

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

If you were in Grand Rapids, it could take months...or you might never get it. Has anyone on here ever gotten a "License to Purchase, Carry, Possess, or Transport a Pistol" from Sturgis?

pawn99

If you were in Grand Rapids, it could take months...or you might never get it. Has anyone on here ever gotten a "License to Purchase, Carry, Possess, or Transport a Pistol" from Sturgis?

Yes haha. I just left our police station in sturgis st joseph county didn't have to take a test or anything i was out in 20 mins. 5 dollars to get signed by a noterized public. Damn them lol.

Evil Creamsicle

Yes haha. I just left our police station in sturgis st joseph county didn't have to take a test or anything i was out in 20 mins. 5 dollars to get signed by a noterized public. Damn them lol.

Yeah before I had a CPL my PD tried to charge me a 10 dollar notary fee, but I told them to sod off and took it to my bank where they provide a notary free of charge :-D

Samopal

Yeah before I had a CPL my PD tried to charge me a 10 dollar notary fee, but I told them to sod off and took it to my bank where they provide a notary free of charge :-D

Northville PD demanded a $10 fee so I took it to Northville Township instead, they did it for free. :) Very nice people.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator

Waaay back when I used to have to get a PTP, Ingham county took about 5 minutes for the background check. Now, with my CPL, I just fill out form RI-60. :)

apjonas

Notaries Public

The main purpose of notarization is to prevent fraud (including against the person seeking the notarization). It involves more than merely "signing a piece of paper." A notary public incurs costs to function as a notary. I do think $10 (or even $5) is excessive. I never have charged a fee and most states limit fees to 50 cents or $1. As mentioned, most banks will provide notary service to customers at no cost. When a notary acts while on the job, the fees are often set/kept by the boss.