• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range shooting questions

brad98801

I have a Glock 19 how to I teach my self to not flinch every time I pop a shot off? and whats a good way to get a laser sight properly sighted in?

ron73440

This probably sounds stupid but I think to myself "mind is blank, mind is blank" as I pull the trigger, I've told that to my students when I was a pistol instructor and got some positive feedback on it.

I think the biggest thing is trigger time, the more you shoot, the more you get used to it.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Have someone else load your mag and rack your slide, then give you the gun to shoot.
They will have loaded a snapcap in there somewhere, but you wont know where.
When you flinch like a silly goose, even though the gun didnt go bang, you will start to hate that thing you do.
Your hate will make you stop flinching!

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have a Glock 19 how to I teach my self to not flinch every time I pop a shot off? and whats a good way to get a laser sight properly sighted in?

you can get a laser bore sighter .... should get you close .. and if you cannot get it sighted in because of your shooting technique that cannot be corrected then a different gun is likely the answer. Not everyone can shoot a 9mm well .... perhaps you need to go down to a 380 ... just a suggestion

brad98801

you can get a laser bore sighter .... should get you close .. and if you cannot get it sighted in because of your shooting technique that cannot be corrected then a different gun is likely the answer. Not everyone can shoot a 9mm well .... perhaps you need to go down to a 380 ... just a suggestion

I can shoot decently good but my groups are usually either down low or to the right of the target not dead center

ron73440

If it's low you're most likely flinching.

If shooting to the right and you're right handed, make sure of your trigger finger placement and you are pulling straight back and not squeezing your whole right hand .

If you're left handed make sure you have a good firm grip.

Hope this helps.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
You need to spend a lot more time in what I call trigger discipline. There are many ways you can do this, using a number of "tools", but time on the trigger, with your gun unloaded of course, is your best friend for conditioning yourself to eliminate flinch and shoot better.

Snap caps are great tools and the folks who recommend having a friend load your magazine with one intermixed with live rounds at a range is a great way to get the flinch out. But you need to get to that point first and that means trigger discipline at home. Try balancing a dime sideways on your front sight or if you have the OEM standard Glock sights, on the front of the slide. Then pull the trigger in your shooting stance. Do this until the dime doesn't move or fall off. Practice draw and fire. Strangely enough, people tend to flinch less in this exercise than when firing from a fixed stance, gun extended.

Make sure your action on your trigger is correct... this means you, not the trigger. Do you take up the slack in the first stage of the trigger (pre-travel) to the "wall" before actually firing the shot or do you pull the trigger from stage one to stage two all at the same time? Is your grip on the gun proper and firm? Are you concentrating on that front sight for your shot?

Trigger discipline is critical. I've been shooting handguns for 45 years and I still practice trigger discipline with my primary carry gun frequently. It's a skill I do not want to lose.

Personal opinion follows. As for laser sights, if this is to be a carry gun, I do not recommend the use of laser sights at all. In an extreme encounter you are not likely going to be in a position to activate them and even if you do, trying to get that red dot on your adversary is going to waste precious time. These are best left to the range or perhaps your home defense gun where you might have time. But for your EDC, I would avoid these sights. In their place, a good set of quality night sights would be the better move.