• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about car carry, under 21 over 18

joshv06

Hey guys, I posted a thread a while back about my recent arrest. A lot of people were telling me not to post specifics after what happened, so I guess I won't. I just had some questions:

1. Is it legal to conceal a handgun in my car? I'm 20, no criminal record.
2. Legal to have a round chambered?

For the record, I was arrested for failure to ID. Might as well throw that out before you get the wrong idea about my arrest.

I had done some research before hand, I believe I am protected by the Castle Doctrine, as well as Federal and State gun laws. But can anyone confirm the 2nd question?

Thanks

KBCraig

Texas has no minimum age for possessing a handgun. The Motorist Protection Act applies whenever you are in or en route to a motor vehicle that you own or control.

So: yes, under 21 can lawfully possess a concealed handgun in a motor vehicle that they own or operate, so long as it is not in plain view, they are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm, are not engaged in criminal activity other than a Class C traffic violation, and are not a member of a criminal gang. Texas law makes no mention of loaded or unloaded.

There is a federal law restricting possession of handguns by anyone under 18, but that doesn't apply to your question.

Last edited: