Thread: Colorado bill grants Secret Service vast new powers. WND

Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin

Colorado bill grants Secret Service vast new powers. WND
    A bill is heading to Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper’s desk that Republican lawmakers say would give members of the Secret Service broad arrest powers in the state and could provide a framework for federal agents eventually to enforce gun restrictions.
    The new bill regarding the Secret Service, SB-13-013, passed on a nearly party line vote in the Democrat-controlled House and is now awaiting the governor’s signature. The bill grants members of the Secret Service arrest powers by considering them to be a peace officer, putting them on a par with state law-enforcement officials with respect to arrest authority.$FILE/013_01.pdf

Feb 19, 2013
    (Senate) The question being "Shall the bill pass?", the roll call was taken with the following result:
    •••Yes: 23
    •••No: 11
    •••Other: 1

earth's crust
    they are a'comin you you .... you going to wait for them to come for you?

Northglenn, Colorado
    I am still trying to figure what it granted or took away from any powers they may have had prior. I noticed Senator King was the sole sponsor.

One thing I did note was that it gave them authority, or even duty, to act when witnessing a crime such as murder. If I understand the case down in Texas recently essentially federal agents can watch a murder and say "not my job" because the statute on murder is a state crime.

I don't know ultimately what the purpose is, but I'd suggest asking him directly. He's one of the Republican Senators and they've been a lot more open and engaged with constituents than Democrats have been. There may be a reason he introduced this.

I do know that Senator Marble has a bill to restrict federal authority in enforcing gun laws in the state that goes before committee tomorrow. I wanted to be there for it, but have to work and have taken a lot of time off already. Its a given the Democrats won't pass that from committee.