• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washoe County Sheriff Supports Mayors Against Illegal Guns

steveb99

A link to his press release:
http://www.washoesheriff.com/press-releases.php?id=1300038
For Immediate Release
<< Press Release listPrint
PR #: 1300038
Date Issued: Mar 27, 2013 - 12:07pm
Call on Congress to end gun violence as part of National Day to Demand Action

WHEN: Thursday, March 28, 2013
911 Parr Blvd Reno, NV 89512
(775) 328-3010
More than 100 Events Taking Place Across the Country Today as Part of Largest Field Campaign in U.S. History to Address Gun Violence Organized by Mayors Against Illegal Guns

www.DemandAction.org/March28

Mike Haley, Sheriff Washoe County, Nevada, is a supporter of Mayors Against Illegal Guns and supports todays National Day to Demand Action to bring awareness of the need to responsibly address and bring an end to gun violence. While members of Congress are home during the Easter/Passover recess, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, in conjunction with Organizing for Action, Americans for Responsible Solutions and other groups supporting background checks, organized more than 100 events and petition drives and generated an unprecedented number of calls into Senate district offices to call for their representatives to support commonsense gun laws like comprehensive and enforceable background checks.

“Many Nevadan’s have lived through the consequences of gun violence. And, as a supporter of Mayors Against Illegal Gun, it is my hope that the national awareness to address gun violence will be raised and meaningful policy will emerge,” said Sheriff Haley.

The National Day to Demand Action brought together hundreds of mayors, law enforcement officials, faith leaders, gun violence survivors and family members, and other Americans who want Congress to take immediate action to strengthen our background check system and reduce gun violence. The day is expected to be the largest gun violence advocacy event in history and is part of the largest field campaign in U.S. history to address gun violence. The coalition recently announced that it is hiring organizers and opening campaign offices in ten key states including Nevada.

In addition to the National Day to Demand Action, the bipartisan coalition is also airing ads demanding that political leaders take action to pass commonsense gun reforms in key states during the upcoming Congressional recess, including in Nevada. Ads can be found here: www.demandaction.org/recessads

About Mayors Against Illegal Guns

Since its inception in April 2006, Mayors Against Illegal Guns has grown from 15 mayors to more than 900 mayors from across the country. We have more than 1.4 million grassroots supporters, making us the largest gun violence prevention advocacy organization in the country. The bipartisan coalition, co-chaired by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, has united the nation’s mayors around these common goals: protecting their communities by holding gun offenders and irresponsible gun dealers accountable; demanding access to trace data that is critical to law enforcement efforts to combat illegal gun trafficking; and working with legislators to fix gaps, weaknesses and loopholes in the law that make it far too easy for criminals and other prohibited purchasers to get guns. Learn more at http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/

steveb99

You are in the wrong site pal. :arrow:

Huh? What site do I belong on? I thought this would be of interest to those of us that live up here and vote for him, and open carry. I was really disappointed that he would come out and say he was a supporter of MAIG. Politics here sure seems to have changed in the 12 years I have been here.

Last edited:

NAVYBLUE

I can just about guarantee all 900 county sheriffs are in Blue counties in Blue states and their crime rate is worse than sheriffs in Red counties in Red states and/or Red counties in Blue states.

Their solutions will always be going after the people who were never involved in gun related crimes because Blue state sheriffs are inherently lazy and continue to suck up to Democrat mayors/city councils.

Look for out local schmuck in Clark County to get on the bandwagon also.

NAVYBLUE

Superlite27

Anyone can post.

However, the unwritten rule is you have to have a minimum of 537 posts and at least 3 half-assed blog entries before you can play moderator.