• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Ashland open carriers?

Markal1990

Whats up guys, new member here. I recently got a springfield XD 9 and have been open carrying pretty much everywhere I go now. I'm a new dad and I wanted to have the best way I could to protect her and my wife because you just never know. I know you all know that. So far I havnt really had too many problems. Really just one so far. I was at the Ashland Town Center mall near closing and one of the security guards came up to me and asked what I was carrying. I thought he may have just wanted to talk guns for a minute so I told him the make an model. Lol that wasn't the case. Apparently they have a gun free zone policy. There is a sign when you walk in with a bunch of rules, anywhere I go I always check the front door to make sure this isn't the case and never saw anything because it isn't posted in plain view onthe door like you would think. To my question though. I have read up on the laws pretty thoroughly and it looks to me like signs hold no weight of law, so pretty much they would just have to ask me to leave, correct? He didn't ask me to leave the other night since it was already closing time ad we were Checking out. Idk just kind of wanting your alls opinion on the matter. But other than that I have had no problems.

Also, if there are any other open carriers you may see me walking around south Ashland with my family and one of our dogs. One is a brindle pit bull (sweetest dog you will ever meet, she's a big baby). If anyone happens to see me feel free to stop and say hi.

Well I think that's it for this post. Sorry for any typos I'm posting from my iPhone. Thanks alot guys.

Big Daddy XD

Whats up guys, new member here. I recently got a springfield XD 9 and have been open carrying pretty much everywhere I go now. I'm a new dad and I wanted to have the best way I could to protect her and my wife because you just never know. I know you all know that. So far I havnt really had too many problems. Really just one so far. I was at the Ashland Town Center mall near closing and one of the security guards came up to me and asked what I was carrying. I thought he may have just wanted to talk guns for a minute so I told him the make an model. Lol that wasn't the case. Apparently they have a gun free zone policy. There is a sign when you walk in with a bunch of rules, anywhere I go I always check the front door to make sure this isn't the case and never saw anything because it isn't posted in plain view onthe door like you would think. To my question though. I have read up on the laws pretty thoroughly and it looks to me like signs hold no weight of law, so pretty much they would just have to ask me to leave, correct? He didn't ask me to leave the other night since it was already closing time ad we were Checking out. Idk just kind of wanting your alls opinion on the matter. But other than that I have had no problems.

Also, if there are any other open carriers you may see me walking around south Ashland with my family and one of our dogs. One is a brindle pit bull (sweetest dog you will ever meet, she's a big baby). If anyone happens to see me feel free to stop and say hi.

Well I think that's it for this post. Sorry for any typos I'm posting from my iPhone. Thanks alot guys.

Welcome!! I also live in Ashland. I haven't had any trouble so far. Been carrying for awhile now. Most people here tend to either not notice or just don't care. I've seen a few do a double take but no one has said anything negative.

I haven't seen any signs at the Town Center but it has been awhile since I've been there. You care correct the signs in KY do not carry the weight of law. However all it takes is for someone (with the power to do so) to ask you to leave and you to refuse. At that point your trespassing.

Kyglockster do you know anything about the Town Center? I know you had mentioned in another post about carrying there.

09jisaac

Kyglockster do you know anything about the Town Center? I know you had mentioned in another post about carrying there.

Ashland Town Center mall has a large sign saying that firearms and other weapons are prohibited but I have never once been stopped while carrying in there.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Welcome!! I also live in Ashland. I haven't had any trouble so far. Been carrying for awhile now. Most people here tend to either not notice or just don't care. I've seen a few do a double take but no one has said anything negative.

I haven't seen any signs at the Town Center but it has been awhile since I've been there. You care correct the signs in KY do not carry the weight of law. However all it takes is for someone (with the power to do so) to ask you to leave and you to refuse. At that point your trespassing.

They do NOT have gun buster signs, but they do have a "mall rules" poster hanging in all entrances in a NON-conspicuos spot. If they ask you to leave then leave, otherwise you can and WILL be cited for trespass in Ashland.

Markal, you haven't been carrying unloaded have you? I noticed a couple of people at the mall about a month ago that were OC'ing with unloaded firearms.

Markal1990

They do NOT have gun buster signs, but they do have a "mall rules" poster hanging in all entrances in a NON-conspicuos spot. If they ask you to leave then leave, otherwise you can and WILL be cited for trespass in Ashland.

Markal, you haven't been carrying unloaded have you? I noticed a couple of people at the mall about a month ago that were OC'ing with unloaded firearms.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Everyone has confirmed what I was thinking.

And no that wasn't me you saw. I carry with a full mag and one in the chamber. Lol what's the point in carrying unloaded? You might as well just carry a ballbat or whatever.

neuroblades

Ashland Town Center mall has a large sign saying that firearms and other weapons are prohibited but I have never once been stopped while carrying in there.

Same here! I OC in that and Lexington both and have yet to have any issues. When i get back from vacation and possibly a small side trip into Washington D.C., I'd like to get the EKOC meetings back up and running now that things have finallysettled down.