• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Monday for e-cert bill to be decided upon (looks like)

davidmcbeth

Banned

Beretta92FSLady

“I wake up in the morning and put this green ribbon and pin on my jacket lapel to remember those we’ve lost,” said John McKinney, a Republican who represents Newtown and is the Senate minority leader. “And what I’m proud of is that all of us, Republicans and Democrats, understood that some issues, and this one particularly, should rise above politics.” http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/n...ors-agree-on-far-reaching-gun-control.html?hp

It appears Connecticut is going to have some strong Firearm Safety laws on the books.

Hopefully the firearm community will learn from it's mistakes. Next time something like this happens, don't play the blame game, drop the NRA dogma, and be constructive. We in the firearms community are in a collective sad state of affairs when posted on most firearm forums, we have quacked-out individuals asserting that the school shooting in Connecticut was a conspiracy...it only reflect badly on all of the community. Get our house in order, or we will see stricter firearm law across the Nation.

The bill is supported by Democrats, and Republicans, both. A victory today...for some.

Hopefully the firearm owners in my State will tell the NRA to shove it, or tone down its message.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
It appears Connecticut is going to have some strong Firearm Safety laws on the books.

Hopefully the firearm community will learn from it's mistakes. Next time something like this happens, don't play the blame game, drop the NRA dogma, and be constructive. We in the firearms community are in a collective sad state of affairs when posted on most firearm forums, we have quacked-out individuals asserting that the school shooting in Connecticut was a conspiracy...it only reflect badly on all of the community. Get our house in order, or we will see stricter firearm law across the Nation.

The bill is supported by Democrats, and Republicans, both. A victory today...for some.

Hopefully the firearm owners in my State will tell the NRA to shove it, or tone down its message.

I was at several gun bill hearings during this session ... nobody was a wacko or yelling or behaving in a manner to discredit the "cause". We have about 70% democrats ... and the bill being proposed is the output of questionable legislative practices. Its not law yet...

I don't see any issues with how people behaved .. people have the right to discuss their viewpoints .. if one said that Martians were to blame would you then say "well, that makes all arguments without merit" .. nah.

Rich B

'Firearms Safety laws'?

WTF?

Hopefully the firearm community will learn from it's mistakes. Next time something like this happens, don't play the blame game, drop the NRA dogma, and be constructive.

What is the 'NRA dogma'? What exactly would you suggest we do to be 'constructive'?

Tone down their message? It doesn't get much more 'toned down' than the NRA.

I really hope that I am missing some kind of attempt at sarcasm in your post, but I have to admit, I am not getting it if it is there.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

'Firearms Safety laws'?

WTF?

What is the 'NRA dogma'? What exactly would you suggest we do to be 'constructive'?

Tone down their message? It doesn't get much more 'toned down' than the NRA.

I really hope that I am missing some kind of attempt at sarcasm in your post, but I have to admit, I am not getting it if it is there.

If it don't get more toned down than the NRA, that's concerning. Blaming Liberals for why a mass murder occurred at an elementary school, is not constructive. Especially when you have more Liberal lawmakers than Conservative.--Republicans backed the bill as well, though. The tide is shifting, and it seems to be starting in Connecticut, unfortunately.

I'm not being sarcastic. I recommend that you do what President Obama recommends Americans do when they want Change: Mobilize (in large numbers), march, make your voice heard. It's not the asses in the seats, it the numbers on the streets.

There were more people showing up to Union Busting a couple years ago--can't remember what State it was in--than to this Connecticut firearms issue. Take a cue from Democratic Liberals, and mobilize in large numbers.

Beretta92FSLady

I was at several gun bill hearings during this session ... nobody was a wacko or yelling or behaving in a manner to discredit the "cause". We have about 70% democrats ... and the bill being proposed is the output of questionable legislative practices. Its not law yet...

I don't see any issues with how people behaved .. people have the right to discuss their viewpoints .. if one said that Martians were to blame would you then say "well, that makes all arguments without merit" .. nah.

I agree, people have the right to discuss their viewpoints. Unfortunately, some voices, such as the NRA's voice, is being heard the most...and it's nothing more than a fear-mongering, paranoia inducing voice.

Universal background checks are not necessarily a precursor to registration are not necessarily a precursor to confiscation. Do you care to challenge me, that what I just stated in my previous sentence is not being stated by organization like the NRA? I receive fear-mongering emails from the NRA, at leat a couple times per day, declaring that the Government is coming for our firearms. And to think, I used to be an NRA member.

Needforspeed1060

It's not the backround checks I have issue with its registration of my ar15 and hi cap pistol mags....
I agree, people have the right to discuss their viewpoints. Unfortunately, some voices, such as the NRA's voice, is being heard the most...and it's nothing more than a fear-mongering, paranoia inducing voice.

Universal background checks are not necessarily a precursor to registration are not necessarily a precursor to confiscation. Do you care to challenge me, that what I just stated in my previous sentence is not being stated by organization like the NRA? I receive fear-mongering emails from the NRA, at leat a couple times per day, declaring that the Government is coming for our firearms. And to think, I used to be an NRA member.

Beretta92FSLady

It's not the backround checks I have issue with its registration of my ar15 and hi cap pistol mags....

I understand. I don't support registration of AR's, nor "hi cap" magazines. Nobody wants to deal with the real issues, so firearms are gone after, by both sides.

There may be 80 million plus firearm owners in America, but you'd swear there were less when you go to pro-firearm rallies...why is that? Complacency, firearm ownership has been partisanized by firearm owners.

Hopefully Connecticut lawmakers will churn out a tampered down version of what seems to be getting sent through.

LibertyUberAlles

Hopefully Connecticut lawmakers will churn out a tampered down version of what seems to be getting sent through.

I don't really understand what you mean by this. Do you mean you hope that they pass a less restrictive bill than has been discussed? Not a chance of that happening. Republicans have agreed to sign onto this "deal" even though their votes are not needed. It's done.

I am actually happy that they are going whole hog and taking off the mask. Shooting these restrictions down in court should be like shooting fish in a barrel. Also, we now will have a list of legislators who only regard the state and federal constitutions as only a speed bump and we can focus our efforts on voting them out of office.

Beretta92FSLady

I don't really understand what you mean by this. Do you mean you hope that they pass a less restrictive bill than has been discussed? Not a chance of that happening. Republicans have agreed to sign onto this "deal" even though their votes are not needed. It's done.

I am actually happy that they are going whole hog and taking off the mask. Shooting these restrictions down in court should be like shooting fish in a barrel. Also, we now will have a list of legislators who only regard the state and federal constitutions as only a speed bump and we can focus our efforts on voting them out of office.

It won't be so easy to shoot these restrictions down. And what ground may be gained through the courts is going to take years.

Your last line, the conclusion, is a bit off. It's possible they see the power they're exercising, in the State and/or Federal Constitution. Since they are State Legislators, they likely see it through the prism of the State Constitution.

Will some legislators lose their next election? Democrats...not likely....Republicans...some, if there are outside forces throwing money at a candidate that is 'more' Republican than the one who voted in support of the legislation.

LibertyUberAlles

It won't be so easy to shoot these restrictions down. And what ground may be gained through the courts is going to take years.

Oh it will not be a slam dunk and it will take a while but the odds are in our favor -- trust me -- I know a little something on this topic. Ideally, someone will move to enjoin the implementation of the law as soon as possible.

Your last line, the conclusion, is a bit off. It's possible they see the power they're exercising, in the State and/or Federal Constitution. Since they are State Legislators, they likely see it through the prism of the State Constitution.

I have no idea what you mean by this. Do you know what the state constitution says about this? Do you know what the federal constitution says about this and how it works with the state constitution?

Will some legislators lose their next election? Democrats...not likely....Republicans...some, if there are outside forces throwing money at a candidate that is 'more' Republican than the one who voted in support of the legislation.

So what? Should we just roll, lick ourselves, and ask for more?

Last edited:

motoxmann

There were more people showing up to Union Busting a couple years ago--can't remember what State it was in--than to this Connecticut firearms issue. Take a cue from Democratic Liberals, and mobilize in large numbers.

I'm not quite sure where you're getting this information either. every time there has been something public, firearms owners have personally showed up by the thousands to speak their voice, all saying the same exact things, yet all legislators still doing the exact opposite, saying the majority of their constituents want everything stricter. meanwhile, as the 2A supporters showed up by the thousands, the anti's showed up in volumes of tens, not even 100 total. its our legislators that are to blame. they have an agenda, and they are doing everything they can to get it done, including lying, deceiving, ignoring, breaking CT laws, etc etc

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Oh it will not be a slam dunk and it will take a while but the odds are in our favor -- trust me -- I know a little something on this topic. Ideally, someone will move to enjoin the implementation of the law as soon as possible.

I have no idea what you mean by this. Do you know what the state constitution says about this? Do you know what the federal constitution says about this and how it works with the state constitution?

So what? Should we just roll, lick ourselves, and ask for more?

It's not just the Constitutions, it's Case Law.

No, stand up, and make yourself heard through the ballot box, and the Courts.

The odds may not be in your favor down the road. SCOTUS, if any portion of the new law in Connecticut makes it to the Bench, is going to be a more Liberal Bench, years down the road.

Beretta92FSLady

I'm not quite sure where you're getting this information either. every time there has been something public, firearms owners have personally showed up by the thousands to speak their voice, all saying the same exact things, yet all legislators still doing the exact opposite, saying the majority of their constituents want everything stricter. meanwhile, as the 2A supporters showed up by the thousands, the anti's showed up in volumes of tens, not even 100 total. its our legislators that are to blame. they have an agenda, and they are doing everything they can to get it done, including lying, deceiving, ignoring, breaking CT laws, etc etc

Legislators are breaking the law? Then it shouldn't be too hard having the law overturned; and the legislators who broke the law, replaced.

LESGTINCT

"Not necessarily.." so it is possible then and if it is possible then gun owners need to worry about it or fear it may happen as does the NRA. Also, when the NRA first came out with the suggestion of armed guards in schools the liberals thought it was crazy. They thought it was crazy to have more guns in the schools and disagreed with the NRA stating that in order to defend against a bad guy with a gun is to have a good guy with a gun. Well, Newtown itself is considering armed guards and Enfield is going to have armed guards in their schools. Several other schools in other states have also followed suit with more to follow.