• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forms of Government

eye95

This is the most rational explanation of government I have ever seen. And it is only about ten minutes long!

It was originally posted in another thread, but, IMO, it is important enough to rate its own discussion.

I rarely agree 100% with anything I read, see, or hear, but this video is the exception to the rule. I not only agree with everything said, I, myself, have said almost everything presented.

Thanks to SouthernBoy for bringing this video to my attention.

[video=youtube;N4r0VUybeXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4r0VUybeXY[/video]

77zach

Good video.

I'm still a little leery about a government that can "protect peoples' rights" though. I don't know if that is the same thing as a government that only can act in punishing force or fraud or in compelling restitution, which is what I'm in favor of. The former seems to give government more wiggle room, even if it shouldn't. The U.S. is now an oligarchy. We have a tradition of certain freedoms and competition amongst many oligarchs, which makes us one of the best and freest oligarchies around. I don't know how much longer it will be that way though.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Good video.

I'm still a little leery about a government that can "protect peoples' rights" though. I don't know if that is the same thing as a government that only can act in punishing force or fraud or in compelling restitution, which is what I'm in favor of. The former seems to give government more wiggle room, even if it shouldn't. The U.S. is now an oligarchy. We have a tradition of certain freedoms and competition amongst many oligarchs, which makes us one of the best and freest oligarchies around. I don't know how much longer it will be that way though.

The problem with governments which start out with the best of intentions is that they eventually become so far removed from their original intent that they forget how they began. This is what is happening in America. We are many generations removed from the Founding and each generation takes us further away from our original design. Before long, you get to the point where the original design is viewed with shaded eyes and distaste. Our Founders knew this and I would bet many shuddered at what they believed was the inevitable future of their great work.