• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Owning and transferring a Handgun at the age of 18 in Ohio

Hareuhal

There is no law, federally or or locally, prohibiting an 18-20 year old from OWNING a handgun.

Federal law prohibits an FFL from selling a handgun to an 18-20 year old, but DOES NOT prohibit private sales to an 18-20 year old. Private sale must be between two residents of the same state and follow all normal private sale laws (I.e: cant know the buyer is a felon).

Ohio law prohibits an 18-20 year old from being furnished a handgun. However, it is not illegal for them to own it SO LONG AS IT WAS DONE SO LEGALLY IN A STATE WHICH ALLOWS IT. (Using caps in place of bold, I'm on my phone.)

To be simple, perfectly legal for an 18-20 year old to own a handgun per ORC and federal law.

Purchasing it per federal law is a little tricky

Purchasing it per Ohio law is illegal.

Purchasing it in a state which allows it and bring it to Ohio is legal if done so properly.

I'll allow someone else to cite, again, I am on my phone at work ;]

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

MyWifeSaidYes

MWSY, i believe the portion of furnish is under the under 18, in other words a Juvenile.

re-read it. you may be right. i wonder if you could argue the difference of furnish to gifting a firearm? also there are numerous examples like hunting or instruction

My children, ages 15 and 11, regularly open carry with me under the "instruction" exception. I have read ORC 2923.21 forwards, backwards and sideways. :( I'll never get that time back.

Anyways...

ORC 2923.21 Improperly furnishing firearms to minor.

(A) No person shall do any of the following:
(1) Sell any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age;
(2) Subject to division (B) of this section, sell any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;
(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;

It sucks but, if they're under 21, you can't sell or furnish. The exceptions require adult supervision.

You'll notice there is no state exception for self defense. :eek: Legally, by state law, I can not GIVE my kids firearms for defensive purposes, but they can go GET them, if needed.

Hareuhal

Yep. Basically the only way an under 21 is going to own a handgun is to move out of state to a state that allows 18+ year olds to have them, buy from a private seller of the same state, and move back to Ohio.

Only way an under 21 is going to handle a handgun is if they fall into the very narrow exception list, hunting, training, education, etc, just like MWSY does with his children.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

papa bear

well that is the ways for him to get a handgun

1. have his grandmother buy it and keep it where he can get to it

2. move to another state, like WV or VA, for 6 months then move back to OH

BTW, did we establish weather or not he could buy a shotgun?

look like the rest of you guys in OH. needs to get on the ball and change the law