• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chest rig for running/jogging?

JesterP99

I like to go running at night, (although, it doesn't matter if I run at night or during the day I still want to be able to carry my pistol) but because I like to wear loose fitting clothing like gym shorts and a t-shirt, or no t-shirt, I don't think any kind of belt holster is going to work for me. I really like this http://survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm rig but something that I can mount a holster on. Maybe just a high fitting MOLLE chest rig. If I go this route, not only can it hold my pistol but it can also hold my cell phone, reflective/flashing lights, and I can mount a right-angle flashlight on it. At this point it doesn't have to be particularly light because I am already considering running with a weight vest but I would prefer it didn't rub against my neck.

If anyone has any suggestions or solutions to my problem I would love to hear it. I might head to the gun store and see what they have but ultimately I will probably buy online.

I carry a Sig Pro, which I have a SERPA holster for that I could mount on the vest.

JesterP99

Action Direct made a chest pack that was light weight, quick velcro opening and discrete, with a separate compartment for wallet, keys, etc. I got mine twenty years ago, it may yet be available. The thought of a jogger/runner clattering along in military-surplus surplus gear is amusing. YMMV

I have seen those before but as I don't have my CHP, I don't really want to conceal it. I don't think there are two many options, I think I am going to try a belly band like this onehttp://specgear.com/product/truss-holster/

Also, speaking of running in military-surplus gear, there is a guy in my parents neighborhood that runs with his plate carrier (or maybe its a camo colored weight vest with mag pouches).

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Every person needs to find what is comfortable for them, carry is not one size fits all. I have seen a lot of joggers with fanny packs, maybe they are carrying. No way of knowing though...

JesterP99

Every person needs to find what is comfortable for them, carry is not one size fits all. I have seen a lot of joggers with fanny packs, maybe they are carrying. No way of knowing though...

Which is why I am looking for suggestions. There has to be enough people on this forum that exercise and need a comfortable system.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

decklin

I like to go running at night, (although, it doesn't matter if I run at night or during the day I still want to be able to carry my pistol) but because I like to wear loose fitting clothing like gym shorts and a t-shirt, or no t-shirt, I don't think any kind of belt holster is going to work for me. I really like this http://survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm rig but something that I can mount a holster on. Maybe just a high fitting MOLLE chest rig. If I go this route, not only can it hold my pistol but it can also hold my cell phone, reflective/flashing lights, and I can mount a right-angle flashlight on it. At this point it doesn't have to be particularly light because I am already considering running with a weight vest but I would prefer it didn't rub against my neck.

If anyone has any suggestions or solutions to my problem I would love to hear it. I might head to the gun store and see what they have but ultimately I will probably buy online.

I carry a Sig Pro, which I have a SERPA holster for that I could mount on the vest.

If you're going to run with a weight vest just save yourself the time and money and buy a plate carrier. It will be more comfortable and distribute the weight better than a running vest. It will also have molle so you can attach anything you want. SERPA makes a molle attachment for their holsters.
Or you can get a shoulder holster and attach it to a pistol belt. Probably wouldn't hurt to use a lanyard with the shoulder holster as you'll be running.

WalkingWolf

Which is why I am looking for suggestions. There has to be enough people on this forum that exercise and need a comfortable system.

Well, most of the problem is the weight of the gun, and it is going to move. Seems a shoulder holster might be good, but I never tried it. It has been years since I ran for exercise, I found it much better to cycle when not doing required training. In the military, many moons ago, we ran with a canteen on a pistol belt. That did not seem to present much of a problem and I would think a canteen would be heavier than a gun. When I was in the academy we ran with a full bat belt, with the belt snug it didn't seem to be much of a problem.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I run 4 plus miles every other day and have been doing so for the past 35 years. I have carried on all most every one of those runs.

I used to carry with a shoulder holster between to tee shirts and that worked out fairly well and still do that once in a while.

About 15 years or so ago my wife found me a small of the back, pack called the GeeBee from camelbak. It is great for running and carring a pistol doing so I have carried up to my 44mag in it very comfortable. Every body who I run with wants one trouble is I don't think that model is made any more.

It holds very tight to the body even with a full sized pistol in it there is no movement or bonce. It is not a speed draw pack for sure.

I tried regular fanny packs but can't stand them as they move all over. Theres nothing worse then getting slapped or hit by a lb or more of pistol with every step.

A belt and holster like a pancake tight to your body works also if you can stand to wear a belt.

Personally I don't think i would like a chest rig but haven't tried it.

WalkingWolf

With age things are a tad different than when I was younger and due to line of work might have to take cover. Honestly other than a vest I wanted as little in my way of melting to the ground as much as possible under fire. Same would go for a animal attack, if the firearm is not where I can get to it, it is pretty much useless.

Michigander

Back before I busted my leg and could and did still run, my solution was simple. Shorts or pants depending on temperature, and use belt keepers or a holster on your pants belt if the bouncing is excessive. Worked like a charm for a pistol and mags.

For carrying more than that, if pockets don't work well enough, you may want to look into hydration belts.

Last edited:

JesterP99

Thanks for the suggestions. I just think running with a traditional shoulder holster wouldn't work unless I wear a belt. Some sort of chest rig seems to sound good though. Something I can stash my phone, a flashlight and my firearm in. Keeps the weight close to a part of the body that only really moves up and down with each step. I did find this http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Universal-Spec-Ops-Pistol-HarnessHolster,1429,34.htm and am considering getting it. Found it on Amazon for 50 bucks. Still looking though. I am sure by the time I get ready to buy something I will have found the perfect thing.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Thats why I wore two tee shirts with my shoulder rig to keep it from bonceing around worked well that way no belt needed.

The blackhawk rig looks to big and bulky to me and I think one would still have to wear something over it to keep it from slapping you. That type of nylon looks like it could rub you raw fast againts the skin.

JesterP99

alright, now I am just going to get an old 5.11 chest rig http://geardoshit.wordpress.com/2010/03/30/5-11-chest-rig/ (which has been discontinued) and then attach my SERPA holster to it with a STRIKE MOLLE attachment.

Hopefully this will do the job as it is much more versatile over the dedicated chest holster that Blackhawk offers. At least now I can mount AR mag pouches on it and use it when I go to the shooting range.

We will see how well it fits and works for my purpose. I might end up having to buy a dedicated MOLLE universal holster if the SERPA bounces around too much.

Thanks for everyone's input though, I appreciate the feedback.

JesterP99

I'll post pictures of both the 5.11 chest rig and the blackhawk holster as there isn't much information available for the blackhawk holster.

JesterP99

Just got back from a 2.5mi run wearing my new chest rig. Ended up with a discontinued 5.11 Chest rig that I purchased from VAGT and then attached my Blackhawk SERPA holster with the STRIKE MOLLE adapter. I then added the flashlight for running and then a back up light mounted to the shoulder strap in case I need a handheld beam. There is also a back-up fixed blade knife on my left side.

The harness. The goods and the bads.

The first thing I noticed when I tried it on was that it was almost too big for me, that being said, I am pretty darn skinny so most people won't have that problem. The second problem which I am in the process of fixing also has to do with how skinny I am. In order to make the vest sit where I want it, the side release buckles on the shoulder straps ride right on top of my collar bones. Not very comfortable. I fixed this problem with a shoulder strap pad from a computer bag and then another shoulder strap bag which will match the one on the right as soon as I get back to Charlottesville. The pad on the left fixes the problem completely while the pad on the right only some what keeps chafing down.

The rig is very light, quick detachable, highly adjustable and it is made of mesh to keep ventilation at a maximum. It kept my firearm bouncing around at a minimum and I was very impressed at how comfortable it was wearing it. I will say that there isn't much mounting area to attach Molle pouches and I probably will have to swap the pistol out with AR mag pouches if I want to switch the role that the rig plays. It does have a small pocket on the inside, which is mesh, I found it fit my phone well, probably my wallet too, if I ran with it. The only problem I can see with putting your phone in there is if you sweat a lot, I for one, don't have that problem.

The holster fits it well, mounting it at a very comfortable level. Easy to draw, yet it stays in place well without worrying about it falling out. Considering this set up is used as a self-defense rig for me to carry my pistol, the faster I can draw my firearm, the more the advantage.

I do plan on adding some flashing lights to make me more visible while I run and I know there will be plenty of places to mount them when I get around to it.

There isn't much that I would change about the set up other than the shoulder straps, not sure it really needs to be a quick release system since it buckles on the sides. I do wish that there was enough area to mount an admin pouch along side of my holster but when I get my hands on my admin pouch I will have to do some monkeying to see if I an get both to fit.

Although this chest rig is discontinued, I know Condor makes one as well as Tactical Tailor and other companies so they shouldn't be hard to find.

Thanks for everyone's help. When I get the Blackhawk chest holster I will do a review before sending it back, I know there isn't much information on it and it does look like a good product.

511 chest rig.jpg511 chest rig 2.jpg