• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Planning thread for Tulsa Preemption Rally / Cookout

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Many who were at the Knotty Pine get together had great ideas for the event we are planning. Here's a little background about what we are doing, and why we are doing it.

Apparently, some Tulsa City Council Members have a hard time understanding state preemption. They are supposed to repeal the existing city ordinances that prohibit lawful carry of guns in city parks, since they are null and void because of our state preemption laws. However, every time this issue gets brought up in council meetings, it turns into a discussion about certain members not wanting guns in parks, and nothing get done about removing signage and repealing the illegal ordinances.

http://www.ktul.com/story/21647771/should-guns-be-allowed-at-tulsas-parks

Unfortunately, the media picks up on these ridiculous discussions, and leaves people with the impression that either Tulsa doesn't want people to carry in parks, or that it's already illegal...which all of us know full well is completely unenforceable, and to the contrary, specifically exempted as a prohibited place. It's going to lead to an unnecessary confrontation between lawful open carriers and either police or nosy citizens who misunderstand the laws.

So here's what we are going to do. We are going to host an event at a Tulsa City Park. We are going to do it in a way that requires a permit to be pulled. We might even meet at one place, and walk to another place, I don't know. We are going to invite families, cook food, throw some footballs and frisbees, OPEN CARRY in full compliance with the Oklahoma Self Defense Act, and invite the Mayor and City Council members of Tulsa. Rest assured that the media will be there. This needs to happen soon, like on a Saturday in April. Multiple members of Oklahoma Shooters have said that they will join us if we put it together. I would like to see at least 300 people attend, and I think that is a realistic goal.

Here's where you come in. We need to make some decisions. Where, when, what will we do, etc. I looked at Woodson Park on Saturday while I was in Tulsa, but never did find the other parks that were suggested. I'm not in Tulsa, I'm in Tulsa. Someone (or more than one someones) need to step forward and start the planning. This thread is meant to be a place for ideas to be put out, for decisions to be made, and for people to volunteer for certain tasks.

Step one: Choose a venue. It must be a CITY owned park, not County.
Step two: Decide on an activity that will require a permit. I'm thinking set up a PA system for music and speeches.
Step three: We need a cooker on a trailer. Someone must know someone who has access to one of these large cookers. I know that some banks have them available for groups to use.

Please invite others to this thread. I'm going to ask Grapeshot to sticky it until the event is over.

Last edited:

Gary S

Bryan I will find the parks that were suggested and get you an exact location for you to look up on google earth. I know of them and agree they will be best. I'll see what else I can get figured out tomorrow. I will also be able to get people to show as well. I'll get back with you tomorrow.

redneckanize

Im not sure if Chandler Park is city or county owned...but thats a greqt place to cook out and what not...its a few miles from Berryhill schools. Woodward is another good place...its on 21st st. Im pretty sure its city owned. Alot of people have pictures taken there.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

lmorganh

I will be in S. Coffeyville this weekend, so if need be I can meet up with someone later on in the day and take a look at some of the parks and get some pics for Bryan & Dustin.:)

tulsamal

Thank you for choosing Woodward Park for your photography! Woodward Park is operated by the City of Tulsa’s Park and Recreation Department.

Sure makes it sound like it is a City Park. That probably is my favorite park in Tulsa. That and the parks along the river. Woodward Park in the spring is always very popular with families and anybody wanting to take pictures with a colorful background. In the heart of old Tulsa, near all those big old houses built when people lived close to downtown.

I would enjoy going to Woodward Park simply because I like being there. Especially in the spring. But what about all the parks along the river? Do those belong to the City? The great thing about going there is that we could stroll along the sidewalks next to the river for miles. It is one of the nicest things about Tulsa and there are always lots and lots of people there with children, plus all the runners and bike riders.

I live an hour away in Vinita but I would like to be involved in this one. We lived in Tulsa, then in Bixby, then in Collinsville so I view it as my home metro area.

Gregg

Gary S

I have the veterans park and river walk park. They are close enough to walk from one to the other. Morgan if you want to check them or any other ones out let me know you can pm me to let me know.

Brandon9mm

I think the best park to have this at is Mohawk park near the zoo. They are always having events out there.

Brandon

Gary S

We are wanting to have to get permits for doing this. That's why we should walk from one to another that's why I put down the ones I did we would idea to get a permit to close down the streets while we walked from one to another. The next thing we need is the grill. Does anyone have any ideas for the grill? Please let me know.

Gary S

Ok that would be great. I guess if that's taking care of and the parks are agreed on all that's left is the permit. I can do that I just don't know what needs to be done to get it done. Do you? And does it cost anything?

RugerP95DC

Let me see what I can work from my end here in Noble, I may be able to talk the local pawn shop owner into letting us borrow his. Dustin

Well, I went to the local pawn shop here, the owner is not in today, he will be in on Wednesday, but from waht the MOD told me he is unlikely to let us borrow or even rent it, I will go and talk with him on Weds. -Dustin

Gary S

When you know for sure let me know and if you want just text me on my cell. I have to talk to you about getting the permit if we are ready to do so.

RugerP95DC

I'm thinking I might have to go some where and see about a rental

Gary I have been in touch today with One Smoking Grill in Tulsa, they rent the BBQ trailer for $150.00 day. I need to get with Bryan and talk to him about a couple of things, I am assuming you are looking at the 20th or the 27th as a possible date?

Glock 1st fan

I still think Lafortune would be the best bet for this get together. It is in a place that allows significant access to extremely large groups and its for the most part completely open allowing access to things like barb que trailers and many other needed items.

Chandler park is owned by the county and because of its proximitity its located both significant distance from the east, north and south side of Tulsa which in turn could affect the turn out somewhat. Also its a little more difficult to get to for those not familiar with the area.

Mohawk park is a beautiful park however its not centrally located either making it somewhat of a challenge like Chandler. Also I am not anti North Tulsa in any way but would like to point out that media hype has painted North Tulsa in to a war zone which could also deter many attendees to the area because of it being painted out to be a war zone (Although Mohawk is located away from the areas we hear the most about on the news. Also guys I am not saying anything good or bad about North Tulsa just concerned the image may not go over well with many people who are not familiar with the area other then media reports.)

There are some other options but I do believe that this is by far going to be the best bet simply because of easy access, central location, large parking accomidations as well as plenty of room to accomodate large group turn outs. Its also easy to access from I-44 with it simply being a few miles south on Yale Avenue.

I apologize guys for being late in this discussion work is bogging me down and as of recently I accepted a new position in addition to my full time job which I can proudly say gives me the chance to work at the schools and provide safety and at least attempt to prevent future instances of school shootings. Due to my love of children this is my contribution to helping protect those who are most precious. Due to this I will still be on here but sporadicly.

Bike Soup

The BBQ Trailer to E.N.D. all other trailers

Gun BBQ.jpeg

LaFortune Park is Tulsa County, not City of Tulsa. Most rallies don't use Woodward Park. It's a scenic park for picnics, weddings, and photo shoots. Also, the surrounding neighborhoods are all VERY wealthy Bloomberg gun-grabbin' hypocrites. They can afford to hire armed guards, while grabbing everybody else's gun.

And, they WILL show up in City Council to raise total hell when the Special Permit Application comes up on agenda. Expect a huge shouting match, if not an open civil war, at the Council meeting. If they don't get their way, they have enough loose change to completely vote out the entire Council.

North Tulsa parks are definitely OUT. A mob of 300 white people, openly packing, in black neighborhoods, will look like the 1921 race riot. The pastor pimps will SCREAM. Count on Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to show up. Of course, national media will totally eat it up and salivate on the way to the trough!

Maybe a mob of 30 black people, openly packing, in white neighborhoods, might work? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. NOT a chance. NOT in a million years.

Tulsa Councilors and TPD are very sensitive because most parks are gang territory. Nobody really wants to be the wiseguy who rocks the delicately balanced boat. North Tulsa, Crips. East Tulsa, Mexican and Vietnamese gangs. West Tulsa, Aryan Nation, KKK, etc.

So, that leaves Midtown. It's mostly white, lotsa cops, firefighters, and white collar types. They probably won't raise much fuss. But, count on undercover cops and SWAT. You guys knew that already, right?

Whiteside and Highland Parks are close enough for walking, highly visible, and centrally located. Both are City of Tulsa and can handle BBQ trailers and moderately large crowds. Media coverage would be a cinch in the surrounding white neighborhoods.

Whiteside Park is at 41st/Pittsburg. Highland Park, 36th/Yale. Sidewalks connect the two parks, approximately 1/2 mile apart.

Veterans Park is City of Tulsa. It's walkable to River Parks. It is under the jurisdiction of the River Parks Authority, a joint agency between City of Tulsa and Tulsa County. They have their own permit application. http://www.riverparks.org/events-at-river-parks/event-applications/

Of course, bicycling between parks is also another option. http://www.streetfilms.org/portlands-sunday-parkways/ http://bicyclemusicfestival.com/

Conclusion: Any wiseguy who steps up as organizer will need significant insurance, and increased security. The nuanced alternative? Put the heat on Sheriff for the arrest of Tulsa City Council for violation of law. He's the closest ELECTED law enforcement official, under oath to enforce state statutes.

If he don't do the dirty, Governor's executive order to arrest him and the City Council.

Last edited: