• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia non resident pistol permit

metalman

I'll try to be brief.
1. Is Virginia amiable to issuing non resident pistol permits?
Some states have applications but actually make it impossible.

2. What firearms (excluding class 3) if any, are prohibited or banned?

I would like spend some time in Virginia with my brother. Who knows,
I may move there to escape konnecticut....need I say more?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Make sure you have all your shots and official application to become a Resident Southerner. A new regulation requires an affidavit affirming your ability and willingness to eat Bar B Q.

Any reference to how we did it back home is grounds for being sent back.

:banana:

TFred

I'll try to be brief.
1. Is Virginia amiable to issuing non resident pistol permits?
Some states have applications but actually make it impossible.

2. What firearms (excluding class 3) if any, are prohibited or banned?

I would like spend some time in Virginia with my brother. Who knows,
Virginia is a "shall issue" state, which means that as long as you are not otherwise disqualified by any of a very specific set of reasons, they must issue you a non-resident CHP, assuming you fill out all the forms and pay the fee, etc.

TFred

2a4all

Virginia is an "Open Carry" state by default. Any individual who is not legally barred from possession of a handgun may openly carry (OC) said handgun anywhere that is not prohibited by law (e.g. K-12 schools, courthouses, jails, air carrier airport terminal buildings, private property if prohibited by owner, federal buildings).

Concealed carry requires a permit, known here as a Concealed Handgun Permit or CHP, which shall be issued to any qualified individual 21 years of age or older. The CHP is issued to residents by circuit courts or to non-residents by the Virginia Sate Police. An application may be downloaded from http://www.vsp.state.va.us/FormsPublications.shtm (scroll down to Concealed Handgun Permit Application)

See http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_StateLaws.shtm for more info.

Hope this helps.

scouser

Make sure you have all your shots and official application to become a Resident Southerner. A new regulation requires an affidavit affirming your ability and willingness to eat Bar B Q.

Any reference to how we did it back home is grounds for being sent back.

:banana:

being a "come here" myself, I'll second what peter said. The advantage to not actually being from here is you can eat any kind of bar b q without that feeling of guilt of betrayel of your roots (I've known some people who are VERY vocal on the differences between tomato-based and vinegar-based sauces, on the other hand, I can enjoy both).
Calling a fried chicken "yard bird" (unless you're just talking about the halfwings) is also grounds for deportation proceedings to begin. :p

va_tazdad

How's that southern accent coming? ;>)

being a "come here" myself, I'll second what peter said. The advantage to not actually being from here is you can eat any kind of bar b q without that feeling of guilt of betrayel of your roots (I've known some people who are VERY vocal on the differences between tomato-based and vinegar-based sauces, on the other hand, I can enjoy both).
Calling a fried chicken "yard bird" (unless you're just talking about the halfwings) is also grounds for deportation proceedings to begin. :p

While I agree with the 1st paragraph (being a GMC based product), I disagree with the 2nd reference to those of us that do NOT think yard bird is worth paying for more than twice a year. I have learned to enjoy many southern foods including Pinto beans, fried taters and cornbread. I still don't see the appeal of "greens", fried okra or (God help me) sweet tea.

Like a wise man once said here, "there are too many good parts on a cow, to eat that"!

Now bad mouthing grits has been known to cause some people's blood pressure to rise.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Be sure to read the back of your non-resident CHP very carefull when it arrives. It clearly states that it is a felony, enforcable anywhere, to refer, anywhere within or outside the borders of the Commonwealth, to The Late Unpleasantness as anything but The War of Northern Aggression.

There is another provision that, because of possible conflicts with health and "morals" codes is not rigorously applied, that requires you to spit and insert the word "damned" in front of any reference to Yankees (unless clearly indicating the baseball team).

And moving away from CHP provisions to general Virginianess - be prepared to be asked "Who was your mother before she was married?"

We insisted that there be a northbound section added to I-95 so that folks who made reference to how it was done "where I come from" could be sent back there quickly. Unfortunately, traffic in that direction is often reduced to a crawl due to the numbers of folks being sent back.

stay safe.

Justine

Be sure to read the back of your non-resident CHP very carefull when it arrives. It clearly states that it is a felony, enforcable anywhere, to refer, anywhere within or outside the borders of the Commonwealth, to The Late Unpleasantness as anything but The War of Northern Aggression.

There is another provision that, because of possible conflicts with health and "morals" codes is not rigorously applied, that requires you to spit and insert the word "damned" in front of any reference to Yankees (unless clearly indicating the baseball team).

And moving away from CHP provisions to general Virginianess - be prepared to be asked "Who was your mother before she was married?"

We insisted that there be a northbound section added to I-95 so that folks who made reference to how it was done "where I come from" could be sent back there quickly. Unfortunately, traffic in that direction is often reduced to a crawl due to the numbers of folks being sent back.

stay safe.

I love it! :banana:

wrearick

The CHP is issued to residents by circuit courts or to non-residents by the Virginia Sate Police.

That said, there are some that believe all "rules" are made by Northuners and should be broken. In Virginia Beach the circuit court "issues" the CHP but does NOT process the applications - that is done by the Va Beach PD!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

stay safe.

Master!

TFred

You can claim an exemption on the BBQ requirement if you check the box on the app marked "The mere sight of that crap turns my stomach".
Pardon my slight OT indulgence here, but I've been meaning to ask this for quite some time...

BBQ is most generally pulled pork - but sometimes other meats, slow-cooked in some sort of a sauce. Pulled pork by itself, is basically just shredded meat...

Do you dislike shredded pork? Or other kinds of slow-cooked meat? Or would it be safe to say that you just haven't found the right sauce in which to cook it?

:)

TFred

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Pardon my slight OT indulgence here, but I've been meaning to ask this for quite some time...

BBQ is most generally pulled pork - but sometimes other meats, slow-cooked in some sort of a sauce. Pulled pork by itself, is basically just shredded meat...

Do you dislike shredded pork? Or other kinds of slow-cooked meat? Or would it be safe to say that you just haven't found the right sauce in which to cook it?

TFred

When I moved to Richmond (to see all of the 2nd Place trophies on Monument Avenue (gosh, I love that joke), I attended a private party where the host introduced me to BBQ.

Suffice it to say, that after eating a generous helping, I became violently ill and thus, never touched it again. Now, I'll take a pizza with anchovies 8 days a week....BBQ? I'll pass.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

TFred

1 - BBQ is pork. Pork that has been pulled, not sliced or minced or "shredded" into little straws. (Dear Texas - bite me! Brisket is not BBQ, even if it is mighty tasty.)

2 - Other meats may be slow-cooked over coals, but BBQ is not cooked directly over the heat source. (Anything cooked via a source of heat other than hardwood coals is not BBQ. It is some sort of roasted meat.)

3 - BBW is not cooked in any sauce. BBQ may be basted as it cooks, and may be served with a sauce pre-applied. DO NOT start the tomato vs. vinegar discussion. DO NOT start the catsup/ketchup (two different substances) vs. tomato sauce discussion. Karo or brown sugar may be substituted in an emergency, but doing so would be an admission of having run out of molasses (as bad as not having enough ammo for the zombie apocolypse!).

4 - Pulled pork is not "shredded".

4a - Minced, chopped, or sliced are methods for ruining the texture, flavor and "feel" of BBQ. They are also alleged to be methods used to control the amount of meat served. (The appropriate and officially sanctioned amount per serving is "a handful".)

But what can you expect from someone who lives North of the Ni, and who probably has never set foot in Allman's? Heck, I'll bet you don't know the dates for the opening and closing of the season at Carl's!

stay safe.

TFred

1 - BBQ is pork. Pork that has been pulled, not sliced or minced or "shredded" into little straws. (Dear Texas - bite me! Brisket is not BBQ, even if it is mighty tasty.)

2 - Other meats may be slow-cooked over coals, but BBQ is not cooked directly over the heat source. (Anything cooked via a source of heat other than hardwood coals is not BBQ. It is some sort of roasted meat.)

3 - BBW is not cooked in any sauce. BBQ may be basted as it cooks, and may be served with a sauce pre-applied. DO NOT start the tomato vs. vinegar discussion. DO NOT start the catsup/ketchup (two different substances) vs. tomato sauce discussion. Karo or brown sugar may be substituted in an emergency, but doing so would be an admission of having run out of molasses (as bad as not having enough ammo for the zombie apocolypse!).

4 - Pulled pork is not "shredded".

4a - Minced, chopped, or sliced are methods for ruining the texture, flavor and "feel" of BBQ. They are also alleged to be methods used to control the amount of meat served. (The appropriate and officially sanctioned amount per serving is "a handful".)

But what can you expect from someone who lives North of the Ni, and who probably has never set foot in Allman's? Heck, I'll bet you don't know the dates for the opening and closing of the season at Carl's!

stay safe.
Alright what started out as amusing evidence that I'm not a BBQ expert quickly turned into fightin' words!!!

I have eaten at Allmans, but, being that I can't stand the [FORBIDDEN]vinegar sauce[/FORBIDDEN], I really don't get all the fuss. I am, however, a significant fan of the "Virginia sauce" at Virginia BBQ just down the hill from Allman's, in the old Safeway building.

As for those fightin' words!!! Carl's is open from the first weekend after Valentine's Day to the first weekend around Thanksgiving. Or thereabouts.

:D

TFred - Lovin' Carl's for over 30 years now!

P.S. I laughed at this from Wiki: "Carl's is closed each year from the Sunday before Thanksgiving until the Friday of Presidents Day Weekend. This is because Sponseller would close the shop each year for hunting season, and the current owners (also Sponseller family members) have continued the tradition."

"Tradition," my ...you know what... Those suckers take in money as fast as you can hand it to them 12 hours a day, for 9 months out of the year. Rumor used to be that Carl spent winters in the Bahamas. He's passed on now, but I'm sure the current family can do anything they want in the off-season.

TFred

When I moved to Richmond (to see all of the 2nd Place trophies on Monument Avenue (gosh, I love that joke), I attended a private party where the host introduced me to BBQ.

Suffice it to say, that after eating a generous helping, I became violently ill and thus, never touched it again. Now, I'll take a pizza with anchovies 8 days a week....BBQ? I'll pass.
Wow, I'm sure I didn't know that. That's a real shame. That has happened to me before, not with BBQ, but I know exactly how you feel!

When I was a kid the same thing happened to me with lasagne. Fortunately, after a number of years I tried it again, and quickly realized how much I liked lasagne... perhaps in time you might try again and have a much better experience.

TFred