• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia non resident pistol permit

scouser

When I moved to Richmond (to see all of the 2nd Place trophies on Monument Avenue (gosh, I love that joke), I attended a private party where the host introduced me to BBQ.

Suffice it to say, that after eating a generous helping, I became violently ill and thus, never touched it again. Now, I'll take a pizza with anchovies 8 days a week....BBQ? I'll pass.

Wow, I'm sure I didn't know that. That's a real shame. That has happened to me before, not with BBQ, but I know exactly how you feel!

When I was a kid the same thing happened to me with lasagne. Fortunately, after a number of years I tried it again, and quickly realized how much I liked lasagne... perhaps in time you might try again and have a much better experience.

TFred

Jim, I'm wondering if you were given something from the (thankfully) now defunct Bill's? If the one meal I had there had been my first taste of BBQ I'd have never touched it again either. Sorry people, I don't care if it was a "Richmond tradition" that place was nasty and I'm glad it can no longer serve that slop to decent human beings. Jim, there's far better places to try BBQ from, learn from TFred's lasagne experience.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Allright...being a traditionalist I like to see how it was done in the beginning. I've posted about traditional Bar B Q before but for the newbies..

Where did cannibalism begin?
There have been reports of cannibalism throughout history, but perhaps the most influential came from Christopher Columbus, after his second voyage to the New World, in 1495. He claimed that on the island of Guadeloupe he had discovered a recently abandoned feast of human limbs simmering in cauldrons and roasting on spits. It was, he said, the work of the “Canib” tribe—a mispronunciation of “Carib”—which gave rise to the Spanish word canibales. Other explorers told of cannibalism among tribes in the Amazon basin, Africa, Australia, Fiji, Sumatra, New Guinea, and Polynesia. In Polynesia, humans are still sometimes known as “long pig,” on account of their similarity to pork.

Actually, Bar-B-Que was the way the Carib (aka Canib) Indians cooked their food. Carib (aka Canib) is also where the term "cannibal" comes from.They would raid the islands for food.

Later, traders smoked/jerked beef (Bouf) and sold it to the pirates, hence "boucanee

Naps Faks!:dude:

USNA69

I have taken friends, who thought that BBQ was a brick thing in the back yard, to Pierce's, and introduced them to the "Jumbo" with slaw and onion rings.
The result was something akin a religious experience for them.
The continually pester me to take them back, as it is now much less easy to find the place, since they terraformed the Lightfoot exit.

To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one's Mother's side is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from the Almighty.

Last edited:

scouser

I have taken friends, who thought that BBQ was a brick thing in the back yard, to Pierce's, and introduced them to the "Jumbo" with slaw and onion rings.
The result was something akin a religious experience for them.
The continually pester me to take them back, as it is now much less easy to find the place, since they terraformed the Lightfoot exit.

To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one's Mother's side is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from Almighty.

I like Pierce's, I was introduced to the place by one of the two gentlemen who taught me to drive a tourbus back in 2001. Sadly he's no longer with us but I did find out last year that our very own Mr Sidestreet was a friend of his

Glockster

Okay, either kindly take this topic back ON TOPIC, or alternately, provide the name of the best BBQ place to get lunch at here on the Southside of Hampton Roads as this discussion is just making me h-u-n-g-r-y! :monkey

metalman

Thanks for the information on the CHP.
Are there any types of firearms banned in VA?
As far as "how they do it up here" references.....THAT'S WHY I WANT TO ESCAPE!
I lost count of the number of previously and recently banned firearms here.
I will be visiting in the Arlington area soon. Any recommendations where we can get the real deal Virginia BBQ?

mobeewan

If you do not have a CHP and open carry then you need to be aware of the following Code of Virginia section for handgun and magazine restrictions in certain cities and counties. If you have a CHP it does not apply, even if you open carry.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the information on the CHP.
Are there any types of firearms banned in VA?
As far as "how they do it up here" references.....THAT'S WHY I WANT TO ESCAPE!
I lost count of the number of previously and recently banned firearms here.
I will be visiting in the Arlington area soon. Any recommendations where we can get the real deal Virginia BBQ?

"Street sweeper" shotguns are banned. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else. If you need a tax stamp for it, be sure to bring a copy of your tax stamp with you (but you need to do that to comply with federal law anyhow.) BTW - flamethrowers are legal but might be regulated on public transit under safety or fire code rules.

Define "real deal Virginia BBQ". Meat that is slowly cooked over indirect heat from wood coals or propane only gets us to the questions of basting or not basting, and if basting what to use to do that. Then we get to the question of what will form the base of any sauce that will be applied to the finished and served product - tomato, vinegar, soy, or mustard - or any combination thereof. Having gotten to that point we needs must discuss the addition of sweetness or not, and if so by what means. (There might be some agreement that using High Fructose Corn Sugar is just not done, but I have heard rumors that say some benighted fool thinks that is acceptable.)

Far better you open the discussion to whether or not corn bread is made in square or circular pans. Or for the very bold, whether or not sugar ought to be added to the cornmeal mix - and then we get back to granulated white, brown, molasses, or ::hack, spit!:: artificial sweetener.

When you know when you will be visiting the Arlington area post a thread giving dates and times when you could meet & greet the locals. That way you will at least eliminate the "when" of when and where to meet. Yelp http://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...2,RestaurantsPriceRange2.3&l=p:VA:Arlington:: lists 41 BBQ places in/near Arlington and probably has missed a bunch.

stay safe.

mobeewan

Speaking of corn bread, if you go out to eat fried seafood here remember to ask for hushpuppies and real butter. No they are not shoes.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Make sure you have all your shots and official application to become a Resident Southerner. A new regulation requires an affidavit affirming your ability and willingness to eat Bar B Q.

Any reference to how we did it back home is grounds for being sent back.

:banana:

Forgot to mention the Official Visa on his passport issued by the White House of the Confederacy. And this guy probably doesn't understand what, to him is probably a foreign phrase, "Bar B Q". Clearly brainwashed by having been raised among barbarians.

Seriously, we ought'nt make fun of the lad, he's doing the best he can.

There is no such thing as a "pistol permit" in Virginia. Article I, section 13 of the Constitution of Virginia guarantees the right to keep and bear arms. You do have to have a permit to carry a concealed handgun, and you can get a nonresident permit for that. Look at this web page for information on that:
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

Unless you have a concealed handgun permit, carrying handguns holding more than twenty rounds are prohibited in certain cities. Also, some localities prohibit the carrying of loaded long guns around by local ordinance, though that's really supposed to be a hunting-related regulatory scheme.

Discharge of firearms is more heavily regulated than are ownership and possession, so don't go thinking you can do target practice on Duke of Gloucester Street.

As to the bobby-cyue; here's my notion: in Virginia, that means pork shoulder, picnic and butt, slowly cooked (either braised or roasted) at about 185 degrees for about three days. Depending on what part of Virginia you're in, it may be in a tomato sauce, a vinegar sauce, or a sugary sauce; purists will serve the sauce on the side and have extra hot sauce available as well; it may be minced or pulled, though the latter is generally preferred. It is served with cole slaw smack-dab on top of the meat, and may be in sandwich form on a large circular roll (such as a Kaiser roll) or as a "platter", generally with a side of beans. If you want to go all out, then of course you have to have the cornbread and greens, as well. Note that the cole slaw should not be a vinegary pickle sort of thing, nor should it taste like a dessert food; it should be creamy and neither sweet nor sour, but it should have marinated for a few days so that it isn't too crunchy, either. And the cornbread shouldn't be that sugary stuff they serve in the "deep South", and should not crumble into bits when you try to pick it up.

There used to be a sub-shop on Fairfax Drive in Arlington that had really good bbq sandwiches, down near the Metro station, but I don't know whether they're still there. There's a Quarles truckstop just N. of Clark Bro's gun shop in Opal on Rt. 29 (which is Lee Highway in Arlington) that has a restaurant called BBQ Country. They're pretty good, I eat there often. That's pretty much all there is, North of Richmond, as far as I know. Northern Virginia, where I was born and raised, has been completely taken over by foreigners, people from places like Connecticut, New York, Massachusetts, Delaware, New Jersey, and other such unGodly places that don't know the blessings of good food.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Be sure to read the back of your non-resident CHP very carefull when it arrives. It clearly states that it is a felony, enforcable anywhere, to refer, anywhere within or outside the borders of the Commonwealth, to The Late Unpleasantness as anything but The War of Northern Aggression....

I love Skid's sense of humor, which he delivers in person in the most humorless fashion. However, this is one that hit a nerve. What people don't get is that the Great War was between the United States and the States. The Northern states lost just as much as the Southern. The war was over the Constitution, and the United States won, and now owns the Constitution by right of conquest, so it means whatever they say it means. It had very little to do with Northern aggression, it was federal aggression that the industrialists who controlled politics in the Northern states supported. My question is, whether we still want things to be this way?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I love Skid's sense of humor, which he delivers in person in the most humorless fashion. However, this is one that hit a nerve. What people don't get is that the Great War was between the United States and the States. The Northern states lost just as much as the Southern. The war was over the Constitution, and the United States won, and now owns the Constitution by right of conquest, so it means whatever they say it means. It had very little to do with Northern aggression, it was federal aggression that the industrialists who controlled politics in the Northern states supported. My question is, whether we still want things to be this way?

Helno Kemo Sabe! We want to return to those days of yesteryear which are now but reflections in our minds.

metalman

" Northern Virginia, where I was born and raised, has been completely taken over by foreigners, people from places like Connecticut, New York, Massachusetts, Delaware, New Jersey, and other such unGodly places that don't know the blessings of good food."

That doesn't sound good unless they leave the rotten politics behind.
Other places in this country have been spoiled by the leaching spreading disease.