• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting run in with a Nye County deputy.

28kfps

I was waiting in line at a fast food place in Pahrump noticing a young man in front of me with his assuming wife and two very young kids.

He was open carrying I believe a Glock. Took the opportunity to say hi and asked if he had ever checked out Open carry dot org. He was standing slightly turned with mostly his back to me and not until he turned to answer did I see the badge on his belt. Plain clothes with only indication he was a LEO was the badge.

His answer was no, he had not seen the site. I said “O” (after seeing the badge) you are Nye County he said yes. I decided I started this conversation might as well try to finish it. I told him I at first thought he was a civilian open carrying and was going to share information about an Open carry web site.

I was not carrying, just came from work, a federal facility no guns allowed for non-security workers. I told him I open carry all the time hence was the reason to share the open carry web site. He said with a positive voice that NYE is an open carry county. I told Nevada is all open carry. He replied with, not Clark County. I said I was not sure where he got his information however; Clark County is most definitely open carry as is all of Nevada.

For a short moment, he appeared to have an attitude and decided he was talking to one of those civilian know-it-alls. Keeping a positive tone in my voice, I told him I could direct him to hundreds of posting of open carry in Clark County. Once convincing him I knew what I was talking about, he then started asking me questions. Said he had been told METRO would have a person on the ground after spotting a person with an open carried gun. I told him maybe 4 years ago that would happen occasionally however, told him about the complaint that was filed and Metro had retrained all their officers on how to approach a person open carrying.

He asked if Metro would ask for some kind of ID or other information if they see a person with an open carried firearm. I said no they really have no legal reason to ask for any. Metro was trained legally all the can do is talk to the open carry person and if during the conversation the open carry person gives some indication of illegal activity Metro can then react to that issue.

He sincerely said thanks for the information.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I've noticed that Nye County takes pride in NOT being like Clark County, so the deputy can be excused for not knowing that Clark has to follow state law (OUR state).

I had a Nye deputy (years ago) explain it "NYE begins with N, for Nevada. Clark begins with C, for California."

We-the-People

I was waiting in line at a fast food place in Pahrump noticing a young man in front of me with his assuming wife and two very young kids.

He was open carrying I believe a Glock. Took the opportunity to say hi and asked if he had ever checked out Open carry dot org. He was standing slightly turned with mostly his back to me and not until he turned to answer did I see the badge on his belt. Plain clothes with only indication he was a LEO was the badge.

His answer was no, he had not seen the site. I said “O” (after seeing the badge) you are Nye County he said yes. I decided I started this conversation might as well try to finish it. I told him I at first thought he was a civilian open carrying and was going to share information about an Open carry web site.

I was not carrying, just came from work, a federal facility no guns allowed for non-security workers. I told him I open carry all the time hence was the reason to share the open carry web site. He said with a positive voice that NYE is an open carry county. I told Nevada is all open carry. He replied with, not Clark County. I said I was not sure where he got his information however; Clark County is most definitely open carry as is all of Nevada.

For a short moment, he appeared to have an attitude and decided he was talking to one of those civilian know-it-alls. Keeping a positive tone in my voice, I told him I could direct him to hundreds of posting of open carry in Clark County. Once convincing him I knew what I was talking about, he then started asking me questions. Said he had been told METRO would have a person on the ground after spotting a person with an open carried gun. I told him maybe 4 years ago that would happen occasionally however, told him about the complaint that was filed and Metro had retrained all their officers on how to approach a person open carrying.

He asked if Metro would ask for some kind of ID or other information if they see a person with an open carried firearm. I said no they really have no legal reason to ask for any. Metro was trained legally all the can do is talk to the open carry person and if during the conversation the open carry person gives some indication of illegal activity Metro can then react to that issue.

He sincerely said thanks for the information.

Police officers are civilians. They like to think they aren't, and many people think they aren't, many modern dictionary's now say they aren't, but they are. Non-civilians are those on active military duty. Police officers are merely citizens who are paid to provide full time attention to the safety of other citizens.

28kfps

Police officers are civilians. They like to think they aren't, and many people think they aren't, many modern dictionary's now say they aren't, but they are. Non-civilians are those on active military duty. Police officers are merely citizens who are paid to provide full time attention to the safety of other citizens.

If it is ok with you, this is the definition of the word civilian I was using. I may conceder using yours in a future posting.

Dictionary.com
ci•vil•ian
Spelled [si-vil-yuh n] Show IPA
noun
a person who is not on active duty with a military, naval, police, or fire fighting organization.

We-the-People

If it is ok with you, this is the definition of the word civilian I was using. I may conceder using yours in a future posting.

Dictionary.com
ci•vil•ian
Spelled [si-vil-yuh n] Show IPA
noun
a person who is not on active duty with a military, naval, police, or fire fighting organization.

That's the new definitions I was referring to. Dictionary definitions change over time as words are corrupted and/or "invented", "regulated" is an excellent example as it has changed significantly in use from the time the founders wrote the second amendment to now.

jdholmes

Understand as well that dictionaries aren't US only, especially web based ones. Not all countries operate the same, so the definitions may be entirely accurate - just not to the US.

The word refers at its root to being of or under civil law - in the US the town/city/county/state police are indeed under civil law and thus civilian.

We-the-People

Understand as well that dictionaries aren't US only, especially web based ones. Not all countries operate the same, so the definitions may be entirely accurate - just not to the US.

The word refers at its root to being of or under civil law - in the US the town/city/county/state police are indeed under civil law and thus civilian.

Yes, I neglected to include that. Thanks for the backup.