Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Road Trip Across the State

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    26

    Road Trip Across the State

    Hey guys, I'm about to be heading from the coast to the mountains tomorrow for a camping trip. I plan on bring my xdm 9mm and I was wondering if there was anything I need to know about any town along the way on my drive. I live near Jacksonville and will be taking I-40 all the way to Asheville. I was wondering if there was any towns along the way that I need to be wary of in regards to open carry. Raleigh, Burlington, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Asheville. I'm specifically curious about Asheville. But any information about any town along I-40 will be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman7496 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm about to be heading from the coast to the mountains tomorrow for a camping trip. I plan on bring my xdm 9mm and I was wondering if there was anything I need to know about any town along the way on my drive. I live near Jacksonville and will be taking I-40 all the way to Asheville. I was wondering if there was any towns along the way that I need to be wary of in regards to open carry. Raleigh, Burlington, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Asheville. I'm specifically curious about Asheville. But any information about any town along I-40 will be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks in advance.
    I'm in the Winston/Greensboro area. Don't go to any nightclubs in Greensboro, other than that you should be fine. No crazy laws in Winston/Greensboro. The nightclubs in Greensboro are always having shootings, supposedly they are gun free zones but somehow the guns still get in, can't figure that one out since they are not allowed. <sarcasm>

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by JABEACHFAN View Post
    I'm in the Winston/Greensboro area. Don't go to any nightclubs in Greensboro, other than that you should be fine. No crazy laws in Winston/Greensboro. The nightclubs in Greensboro are always having shootings, supposedly they are gun free zones but somehow the guns still get in, can't figure that one out since they are not allowed. <sarcasm>
    It is curious how guns continue to find themselves in gun free zones isn't it?! I mean, it's against the law! Surely that's enough to deter a person from bring a gun there! <sarcasm continued>

    I appreciate the heads up! I don't make the habit of frequenting night clubs, so rest assured, you won't be seeing my name on the nightly news But this is the kind of information I'm hoping you all can share with me. For example, Chapel Hill doesn't allow the carry of a side arm with a barrel length under a certain limit (6 inches I want to say??? don't quote me on that). Or is that just concealed carry? Is open carry still allowed there? I want to say Cary has some laws pertaining to carrying as well. I'll need to look those up because I'm planning to stop at REI in Crossroads.

  4. #4
    Regular Member WTFOVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    111
    you'll probably get some weird looks in Asheville but you should be fine OC'ing there.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville NC
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman7496 View Post
    It is curious how guns continue to find themselves in gun free zones isn't it?! I mean, it's against the law! Surely that's enough to deter a person from bring a gun there! <sarcasm continued>

    I appreciate the heads up! I don't make the habit of frequenting night clubs, so rest assured, you won't be seeing my name on the nightly news But this is the kind of information I'm hoping you all can share with me. For example, Chapel Hill doesn't allow the carry of a side arm with a barrel length under a certain limit (6 inches I want to say??? don't quote me on that). Or is that just concealed carry? Is open carry still allowed there? I want to say Cary has some laws pertaining to carrying as well. I'll need to look those up because I'm planning to stop at REI in Crossroads.
    The length is determined as the measurement from the muzzle, back along the top of the barrel, and then down to the rear of the butt. It takes a very small gun to be less than that. Anything that does measure less than that must be carried concealed. Town prohibitions only refer to town owned property; you're okay in any unposted business (if otherwise ok to carry). You would have to check the signs as you go into the center's parking area, even though REI itself may not be posted. Have a good trip!
    Last edited by bc.cruiser; 04-02-2013 at 06:58 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    26
    Thanks for the responses! It is very appreciated! And thanks for the clarification on Chapel Hole....errr....I mean Hill's odd ball regulation

  7. #7
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman7496 View Post
    It is curious how guns continue to find themselves in gun free zones isn't it?! I mean, it's against the law! Surely that's enough to deter a person from bring a gun there! <sarcasm continued>

    I appreciate the heads up! I don't make the habit of frequenting night clubs, so rest assured, you won't be seeing my name on the nightly news But this is the kind of information I'm hoping you all can share with me. For example, Chapel Hill doesn't allow the carry of a side arm with a barrel length under a certain limit (6 inches I want to say??? don't quote me on that). Or is that just concealed carry? Is open carry still allowed there? I want to say Cary has some laws pertaining to carrying as well. I'll need to look those up because I'm planning to stop at REI in Crossroads.
    Sounds like an oxymoron...a "gun free zone" with guns in them...
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •