• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Road Trip Across the State

Aceman7496

Hey guys, I'm about to be heading from the coast to the mountains tomorrow for a camping trip. I plan on bring my xdm 9mm and I was wondering if there was anything I need to know about any town along the way on my drive. I live near Jacksonville and will be taking I-40 all the way to Asheville. I was wondering if there was any towns along the way that I need to be wary of in regards to open carry. Raleigh, Burlington, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Asheville. I'm specifically curious about Asheville. But any information about any town along I-40 will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

JABEACHFAN

Hey guys, I'm about to be heading from the coast to the mountains tomorrow for a camping trip. I plan on bring my xdm 9mm and I was wondering if there was anything I need to know about any town along the way on my drive. I live near Jacksonville and will be taking I-40 all the way to Asheville. I was wondering if there was any towns along the way that I need to be wary of in regards to open carry. Raleigh, Burlington, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Asheville. I'm specifically curious about Asheville. But any information about any town along I-40 will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the Winston/Greensboro area. Don't go to any nightclubs in Greensboro, other than that you should be fine. No crazy laws in Winston/Greensboro. The nightclubs in Greensboro are always having shootings, supposedly they are gun free zones but somehow the guns still get in, can't figure that one out since they are not allowed. <sarcasm> :monkey:banana:

Aceman7496

I'm in the Winston/Greensboro area. Don't go to any nightclubs in Greensboro, other than that you should be fine. No crazy laws in Winston/Greensboro. The nightclubs in Greensboro are always having shootings, supposedly they are gun free zones but somehow the guns still get in, can't figure that one out since they are not allowed. <sarcasm> :monkey:banana:

It is curious how guns continue to find themselves in gun free zones isn't it?! I mean, it's against the law! Surely that's enough to deter a person from bring a gun there! <sarcasm continued>

I appreciate the heads up! I don't make the habit of frequenting night clubs, so rest assured, you won't be seeing my name on the nightly news :) But this is the kind of information I'm hoping you all can share with me. For example, Chapel Hill doesn't allow the carry of a side arm with a barrel length under a certain limit (6 inches I want to say??? don't quote me on that). Or is that just concealed carry? Is open carry still allowed there? I want to say Cary has some laws pertaining to carrying as well. I'll need to look those up because I'm planning to stop at REI in Crossroads.

WTFOVER

you'll probably get some weird looks in Asheville but you should be fine OC'ing there.

bc.cruiser

It is curious how guns continue to find themselves in gun free zones isn't it?! I mean, it's against the law! Surely that's enough to deter a person from bring a gun there! <sarcasm continued>

I appreciate the heads up! I don't make the habit of frequenting night clubs, so rest assured, you won't be seeing my name on the nightly news :) But this is the kind of information I'm hoping you all can share with me. For example, Chapel Hill doesn't allow the carry of a side arm with a barrel length under a certain limit (6 inches I want to say??? don't quote me on that). Or is that just concealed carry? Is open carry still allowed there? I want to say Cary has some laws pertaining to carrying as well. I'll need to look those up because I'm planning to stop at REI in Crossroads.

The length is determined as the measurement from the muzzle, back along the top of the barrel, and then down to the rear of the butt. It takes a very small gun to be less than that. Anything that does measure less than that must be carried concealed. Town prohibitions only refer to town owned property; you're okay in any unposted business (if otherwise ok to carry). You would have to check the signs as you go into the center's parking area, even though REI itself may not be posted. Have a good trip!

Last edited:

Aceman7496

Thanks for the responses! It is very appreciated! And thanks for the clarification on Chapel Hole....errr....I mean Hill's odd ball regulation :)

carolina guy

Sounds like an oxymoron...a "gun free zone" with guns in them... ;)