• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What about fishing at/near Dams? Especially Guana River and Rodman

flsquirrelhunter

In Florida, open carry is legal while fishing, but signs by the locks on the Florida greenway specifically prohibited guns under some federal prohibition about flood control devices. (Funny, 'cause the Wildlife Management Area is right across the road from it)

No such signs by the spillway, but isn't a dam a flood control device?

So if I decide to fish Rodman spillway, is it legal, under federal law, to carry a firearm while walking on the spillway or across the dam?

Same general question would apply to fishing above the dam at Guana river by boat

Has anyone else, say maybe folks who live near TVA dams, heard of a no guns restriction?

Thanks.

Is it possible guns are only prohibited in the little cage where they control opening and closing the locks or sluice?

johnfenter

Who put up the signs by the locks?

In Florida, open carry is legal while fishing, but signs by the locks on the Florida greenway specifically prohibited guns under some federal prohibition about flood control devices. (Funny, 'cause the Wildlife Management Area is right across the road from it)

No such signs by the spillway, but isn't a dam a flood control device?

So if I decide to fish Rodman spillway, is it legal, under federal law, to carry a firearm while walking on the spillway or across the dam?

Same general question would apply to fishing above the dam at Guana river by boat

Has anyone else, say maybe folks who live near TVA dams, heard of a no guns restriction?

Thanks.

Is it possible guns are only prohibited in the little cage where they control opening and closing the locks or sluice?

IF they were posted by the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), and the dam area is claimed by them, then they have a Federal regulation banning firearms. What Federal Regulation is cited on the signs?

flsquirrelhunter

IF they were posted by the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), and the dam area is claimed by them, then they have a Federal regulation banning firearms. What Federal Regulation is cited on the signs?

I'll need to go back and look, but that answer makes sense. USACE definitely has their logo all over the locks, but no on the Rodman dam and spillway. It isn't the device, it's the Army area. Thanks.