• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can someone explane, calmly, how the new legislation is going to become Law??

sidelinellc

between windsor and north grandby, Connecticut, US
On the surface, and digging into recorded and writin testimony, there was overwhelming majority of residents against most if not all bills presented.
How is the new gun legislation even legal and binding in a functioning democratic state government?

I am at a loss for resolve right now, and still in disbelief that the actions of CT residents fell on Deaf ears. I for one, have zero faith in any part of our democratic process in CT. What a joke.
If anyone has a link to a legal remedy that will go after these fools in court, i'd like to follow it.
off my soapbox now

LibertyUberAlles

It will become law by a majority of senators voting for it on Wednesday, then a majority of representatives voting for it on Wednesday, then the governor signing it on Thursday. Done deal. Republicans are voting for it too even though their votes are not needed.

Beretta92FSLady

First:

It appears there are a large number of Connecticut residents that are in support of tighter firearms laws.

Your State Republican form of Government is going to vote (Democratic) "yea" or "nay" on the legislation presented to them; and if there are more "yeas" than "nays" the legislation will be made law.

How could this happen?: Firearm owners didn't mobilize, they left it to right-fringe NRA dogmatic parasites to do their dirty work. Feet on the ground, in large numbers, letting your collective voices be heard...that's what ought to be done.

LibertyUberAlles

How could this happen?: Firearm owners didn't mobilize, they left it to right-fringe NRA dogmatic parasites to do their dirty work. Feet on the ground, in large numbers, letting your collective voices be heard...that's what ought to be done.

That is NOT true. How would you know? Did you attend protests or lobby days at the capitol? Did you see the little old ladies get up to provide calm testimony against these bills? You are spouting nonsense.

Beretta92FSLady

That is NOT true. How would you know? Did you attend protests or lobby days at the capitol? Did you see the little old ladies get up to provide calm testimony against these bills? You are spouting nonsense.

The blame game is always an alternative.

Tell me, how many protesters stormed the gates of the capital? A hundred?...a thousand? out of how many firearm owners in Connecticut?

sidelinellc

First:

It appears there are a large number of Connecticut residents that are in support of tighter firearms laws.

Your State Republican form of Government is going to vote (Democratic) "yea" or "nay" on the legislation presented to them; and if there are more "yeas" than "nays" the legislation will be made law.

I must disagree with you on not mobilizing. Never in my life in CT have i witnessed so many involved people attending the capital on numerous days to speak and protest against this feel good legislation.
Just for example, Bus after Busload of people left from cabelas in protest one day. This kind of protest has gone on for months with people from all walks of life, not just stag and mossberg.

There is more written and given testimony in opposition of these bills then for.
There are people challenging them on every legal angle possible rite now and rite fully so but this to is ignored.
The peoples testimony was disgaurded and irreverent, the legal procedures were not followed throughout, and lastly, did they forget this is a constitutional rite that is being infringed on here?

No disrespect for your comment but i strongly disagree and feel the people of Ct more then did there part.

Beretta92FSLady

I must disagree with you on not mobilizing. Never in my life in CT have i witnessed so many involved people attending the capital on numerous days to speak and protest against this feel good legislation.
Just for example, Bus after Busload of people left from cabelas in protest one day. This kind of protest has gone on for months with people from all walks of life, not just stag and mossberg.

There is more written and given testimony in opposition of these bills then for.
There are people challenging them on every legal angle possible rite now and rite fully so but this to is ignored.
The peoples testimony was disgaurded and irreverent, the legal procedures were not followed throughout, and lastly, did they forget this is a constitutional rite that is being infringed on here?

No disrespect for your comment but i strongly disagree and feel the people of Ct more then did there part.

Then they need to do their part once again, and make it known at the ballot box when legislators come up for election.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not railing against firearm owners in Connecticut. All I'm stating is you mobilize, mobilize, mobilize, and if that doesn't work, mobilize, mobilize, mobilize, at the ballot box.

LibertyUberAlles

The blame game is always an alternative.

Tell me, how many protesters stormed the gates of the capital? A hundred?...a thousand? out of how many firearm owners in Connecticut?

Tell me what dates and times you were at the CT capitol. Tell me what dates and times you gave testimony before the legislature. Tell me what dates and times you stood in the legislative office building and tried to get a rough estimate of the number of people who turned out. I will wait...

motoxmann

First:
(quote from above)

all of the Quinnipiac polls that were released were rigged. and all of the Quinnipiac polls are the ones legislators are using to say the people support their bills. but they purposely ignore the piles of all the other polls that were completed accurately and responsibly, with votes in the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands that showed overwhelming opposition to these bills. by overwhelming, I mean more than 80%

Beretta92FSLady

all of the Quinnipiac polls that were released were rigged. and all of the Quinnipiac polls are the ones legislators are using to say the people support their bills. but they purposely ignore the piles of all the other polls that were completed accurately and responsibly, with votes in the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands that showed overwhelming opposition to these bills. by overwhelming, I mean more than 80%

Good grief. It's a mass conspiracy, then.

Share with us a poll that showed 80% against tighter firearms restrictions.

Beretta92FSLady

Tell me what dates and times you were at the CT capitol. Tell me what dates and times you gave testimony before the legislature. Tell me what dates and times you stood in the legislative office building and tried to get a rough estimate of the number of people who turned out. I will wait...

I don't live in Connecticut...keeping tabs though, online.

LibertyUberAlles

I will speak about what I've observed, where ever, and whenever I see fit.

But you don't know that you are talking about. You are telling us that we are the problem and did not get our act together when, in fact, we did. If you were there would agree but you were not so you cannot say with any certainty what we did and did not do "properly" or effectively.

sidelinellc

Couldn't have expressed it any better in regards to the Quinnipiac poles results. That was the one and only pole having any attention given to it by our legislature and it was also the only pole in favor of. Enough said.

More on the constitutionality of these restrictions to 2A, this is were the fight will most likely have to play out IMO. This is also were people much smarter then I must chime in.
It's obvious our state government will is not capable of following its own laws, procedures, state constitution or the US Constitution.

LibertyUberAlles

Free advice: The best response to someone looking for a reaction is to not give them one.

Agreed. And arguing on the internet is stupid. I am just mad right now and lashing out. I just have to get my head screwed on right and take a few deep breaths.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If anyone has a link to a legal remedy that will go after these fools in court, i'd like to follow it.
off my soapbox now

Well, you can file a case (its free!) before the freedom of information commission because due to the nature of the secret meetings used to create the 1 APR proposals (now seen on the task force's webpage) were illegal meetings. And the output of illegal meetings is illegal and the FOIC has struck down votes, meetings, etc. because of a violation of our open meeting requirements.

So, go file a complaint with the FOIC. Its a pro-se friendly agency that has great power in respect to what it can do regarding violations of our freedom of information act.

But be quick ... you have 30 days from the time of a violation to file a complaint --- I think that after 5 MAR 13 task force (and with your complaint , include a copy of that webpage that lists all the members ~ the task force is technically a committee) that's when wholesale secret meetings between the committee members occurred. So file by the 4th of this month if you can (I think some leeway would be given by the FOIC because the 30 day requirement is from the date you learned of the secret meetings ... one could argue you learned about it yesterday during the press conference of the leaders and members of the committee). So, by 4th APR if you want no hassles about the time requirements.

It costs NOTHING to file a complaint before the FOIC.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
First:

I have about 6 FOIA responses from various legislators regarding a previous omnibus bill that had most of what is in the current proposals. I would estimate 90% were against the proposals.

I have about 500 emails from citizens to legislators ... the idea that people support the provisions (not just we want tighter laws, which mean nothing) of what is being proposed is nothing more than a lie ... I don't see it in the legislative records.

Go figure, people lie.