Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: GA Town Passes Law Requiring Gun Ownership

  1. #1
    Regular Member OPS MARINE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    392

    GA Town Passes Law Requiring Gun Ownership

    According to Politico.com, Council members in Nelson, a city of about 1,300 residents that’s located 50 miles north of Atlanta, voted unanimously to approve the Family Protection Ordinance. The measure requires every head of household to own a gun and ammunition to “provide for the emergency management of the city” and to “provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants.”
    Not that every household must go out and purchase a firearm.
    The ordinance exempts convicted felons and those who suffer from certain physical or mental disabilities, as well as anyone who objects to gun ownership. The ordinance also doesn’t include any penalty for those who don’t comply.
    The ordinance is obviously mostly for show and is meant to be a show of support for gun rights by a local government and its residents.
    Nelson will become the second GA city to have such an ordinance. Kennesaw, a suburb of Atlanta, has had a similar law on the books since 1982. Kennesaw boasts having the lowest violent crime rates in the greater Atlanta area, despite being a short drive from other areas in the Atlanta area known for high crime. Kennesaw is also one Family Circle magazines “10 best towns for families” due to its lower than normal crime rates.
    "Most people respect the badge. Everybody... respects the gun."

  2. #2
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    There's gonna be blooooooddddd in da streets!!!!

  3. #3
    Regular Member backenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Muskegon,Mi
    Posts
    82
    Ridiculous law. Can they make a law forbidding guns? No. But they want to do the opposite. Oh, and if you disagree with the law you can opt out? Ridiculous.

  4. #4
    Regular Member mark5019's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    atlanta ga
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by backenj View Post
    Ridiculous law. Can they make a law forbidding guns? No. But they want to do the opposite. Oh, and if you disagree with the law you can opt out? Ridiculous.
    well look at it this way here in America(GA) theres a town called kenesaw they have the same law and go figure crime rate dropped maybe the bad guys wont know who opted out hmmm do you think?
    ar15 sbr glock 19 beretta m9
    Proud Lifetime georgia carry member
    nam vet

  5. #5
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by backenj View Post
    Ridiculous law. Can they make a law forbidding guns? No. But they want to do the opposite. Oh, and if you disagree with the law you can opt out? Ridiculous.
    There used to be several states that had laws such as this for the entire male population. This is America, and EVERYONE should be armed. We were founded as a country filled with an armed populace who held and maintained the supreme power. After we gave that up did you notice what happned to our supreme power?

    Sure, everyone is entitled to their rights, but if you don't want to own a gun then you are NOT American in MY opinion. They allowed exemptions to anyone that objects just so they couldn't say THEIR rights were being violated. Still, I believe we should amend the US Constitution to state that ALL able bodied individuals that have never been convicted of a violent crime should be armed. We are ALL the militia, and it is the militia that protects the people's rights from tyranny. It is hard to protect those rights without the proper equipment.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    There used to be several states that had laws such as this for the entire male population. This is America, and EVERYONE should be armed. We were founded as a country filled with an armed populace who held and maintained the supreme power. After we gave that up did you notice what happned to our supreme power?

    Sure, everyone is entitled to their rights, but if you don't want to own a gun then you are NOT American in MY opinion. They allowed exemptions to anyone that objects just so they couldn't say THEIR rights were being violated. Still, I believe we should amend the US Constitution to state that ALL able bodied individuals that have never been convicted of a violent crime should be armed. We are ALL the militia, and it is the militia that protects the people's rights from tyranny. It is hard to protect those rights without the proper equipment.
    We kinda already have that, the unorganized militia consists of all able bodied males between the ages of 17 and 45, and your supposed to be required to possess a firearm in typical use of the time as well as ammunition in the case you are called on to serve. I guess that since we have a police state and militias are not used anymore we aren't forced to follow the rules of the militia or something.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Mrs Inc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ball Ground, GA
    Posts
    1

    Nelson

    My family has lived in Nelson going on 3 years now. Most the people I know living in Nelson own guns anyways(so this law means nothing).
    There is only one cop who patrols Nelson every so often going through our neighborhood at different times. Right now in the paper apparently since
    the law passed someone is trying to take the city to court over it passing. I openly carry on my property & conceal carry when walking in the neighborhood which is what I've always done before this law passed for my own safety.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post

    How can anyone say that? After all, its for the children.
    +1

    keep the faith


    for the children lol

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    949
    Update: Nelson was sued by VCDL and repealed their ordinance. GCO tried to intervene and help, but they caved.

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Malum Prohibitum View Post
    Update: Nelson was sued by VCDL and repealed their ordinance. GCO tried to intervene and help, but they caved.
    I am a very active member of VCDL and know of no such incident regarding a suit against a Georgia city.

    Please correct any confusion.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    949

    Red face

    Gulp! NOT VCDL!

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...gun-ownership/

    I was referring to the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence. That cannot even be made into the same acronym. I have no explanation for why I posted "VCDL."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •