• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GA Town Passes Law Requiring Gun Ownership

OPS MARINE

According to Politico.com, Council members in Nelson, a city of about 1,300 residents that’s located 50 miles north of Atlanta, voted unanimously to approve the Family Protection Ordinance. The measure requires every head of household to own a gun and ammunition to “provide for the emergency management of the city” and to “provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants.”
Not that every household must go out and purchase a firearm.
The ordinance exempts convicted felons and those who suffer from certain physical or mental disabilities, as well as anyone who objects to gun ownership. The ordinance also doesn’t include any penalty for those who don’t comply.
The ordinance is obviously mostly for show and is meant to be a show of support for gun rights by a local government and its residents.
Nelson will become the second GA city to have such an ordinance. Kennesaw, a suburb of Atlanta, has had a similar law on the books since 1982. Kennesaw boasts having the lowest violent crime rates in the greater Atlanta area, despite being a short drive from other areas in the Atlanta area known for high crime. Kennesaw is also one Family Circle magazines “10 best towns for families” due to its lower than normal crime rates.

backenj

Ridiculous law. Can they make a law forbidding guns? No. But they want to do the opposite. Oh, and if you disagree with the law you can opt out? Ridiculous.

mark5019

Ridiculous law. Can they make a law forbidding guns? No. But they want to do the opposite. Oh, and if you disagree with the law you can opt out? Ridiculous.

well look at it this way here in America(GA) theres a town called kenesaw they have the same law and go figure crime rate dropped maybe the bad guys wont know who opted out hmmm do you think?

KYGlockster

Activist Member

There used to be several states that had laws such as this for the entire male population. This is America, and EVERYONE should be armed. We were founded as a country filled with an armed populace who held and maintained the supreme power. After we gave that up did you notice what happned to our supreme power?

Sure, everyone is entitled to their rights, but if you don't want to own a gun then you are NOT American in MY opinion. They allowed exemptions to anyone that objects just so they couldn't say THEIR rights were being violated. Still, I believe we should amend the US Constitution to state that ALL able bodied individuals that have never been convicted of a violent crime should be armed. We are ALL the militia, and it is the militia that protects the people's rights from tyranny. It is hard to protect those rights without the proper equipment.

ADobbs1989

There used to be several states that had laws such as this for the entire male population. This is America, and EVERYONE should be armed. We were founded as a country filled with an armed populace who held and maintained the supreme power. After we gave that up did you notice what happned to our supreme power?

Sure, everyone is entitled to their rights, but if you don't want to own a gun then you are NOT American in MY opinion. They allowed exemptions to anyone that objects just so they couldn't say THEIR rights were being violated. Still, I believe we should amend the US Constitution to state that ALL able bodied individuals that have never been convicted of a violent crime should be armed. We are ALL the militia, and it is the militia that protects the people's rights from tyranny. It is hard to protect those rights without the proper equipment.

We kinda already have that, the unorganized militia consists of all able bodied males between the ages of 17 and 45, and your supposed to be required to possess a firearm in typical use of the time as well as ammunition in the case you are called on to serve. I guess that since we have a police state and militias are not used anymore we aren't forced to follow the rules of the militia or something.

Mrs Inc

Nelson

My family has lived in Nelson going on 3 years now. Most the people I know living in Nelson own guns anyways(so this law means nothing).
There is only one cop who patrols Nelson every so often going through our neighborhood at different times. Right now in the paper apparently since
the law passed someone is trying to take the city to court over it passing. I openly carry on my property & conceal carry when walking in the neighborhood which is what I've always done before this law passed for my own safety.

Malum Prohibitum

Update: Nelson was sued by VCDL and repealed their ordinance. GCO tried to intervene and help, but they caved.