• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Monroe Police Dept - Encounter

WalkingWolf

So, today I had a Monroe Police encounter and the strange thing was... I wasn't even armed today!

I was working on a machine in the store when a Monroe sgt walks in with his gun drawn and says "Who has the gun?" and looking at me? I said I carry but im not armed today. He then grabbed me by belt and yanked me with his gun drawn and started to pat me down. He then saw a gentleman in the pharmacy who was Open carrying and took him down by gun point, searched him and took him outside. I was in shock because it went down so fast stepped outside and the cops (1 Sgt and 3 Uncovers) where threatening the guy with Going armed to the terror of the public. He had his gun in the holster the entire time.

-Oh, btw he told me and the guy this will continue to happen and to stop it was to get our CHP.

Anyhow I got grabbed I guess because I was the only person near the counter at the time. However, I'm not sure what to do about this. Any suggestions?

Contact a attorney ASAP!

fjpro2a

Contact an Attorney ASAP

As WalkingWolf said, contact an attorney ASAP. Stuff like this has got to stop.

Ken56

As you state in your post it wasn't you who was dragged outside and intimidated. The only thing I think you should do is be a good witness. I don't know if you can offer that to the guy who was abused having done nothing unlawful if you don't know him.

Fallschirjmäger

"Why, gentlemen, I absolutely look forward to our little meetings this way. If I may make it easier for you, I'll happily coordinate my journeys with the department so that you may meet me at whatever establishment I am on my way to. In fact, we can bypass the dispatcher entirely if you'll just give me a contact number, perhaps a cell phone? Now, I typically go to at least a half dozen places a day, so you might arrive after I've already left, but I'll do my best to keep you current.

No? Hmm... any of you guys working next week? Tuesday? Oh, see you next Tuesday* then, officer."

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
should have asked the cop: can I have your gun so you are happier that I am carrying today? Would have yelled "police! police!" hahaha

You handled yourself well ... if you want to go any further is up to you.

RedEagle

Thanks for posting this info. I live in Monroe and have carried in Wally World without this slightest notice. I will definitely increase my awareness and drop an email to our police chief concerning this type of treatment. You didn't ID the store, but I don't want to ask for info that might hamper your plans.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
So, today I had a Monroe Police encounter and the strange thing was... I wasn't even armed today!

I was working on a machine in the store when a Monroe sgt walks in with his gun drawn and says "Who has the gun?" and looking at me? I said I carry but im not armed today. He then grabbed me by belt and yanked me with his gun drawn and started to pat me down. He then saw a gentleman in the pharmacy who was Open carrying and took him down by gun point, searched him and took him outside. I was in shock because it went down so fast stepped outside and the cops (1 Sgt and 3 Uncovers) where threatening the guy with Going armed to the terror of the public. He had his gun in the holster the entire time.

-Oh, btw he told me and the guy this will continue to happen and to stop it was to get our CHP.

Anyhow I got grabbed I guess because I was the only person near the counter at the time. However, I'm not sure what to do about this. Any suggestions?

Cop: "Who has the gun?"

Me: <quizzical expression combined with silence>

Also, don't forget being a witness for the defense. Find the guy and offer to testify on his behalf that you weren't "terror-ed" by the citizen. You were more terrorized by the cop charging into a peaceful situation with a drawn gun, presumably ready to shoot a peacefully armed citizen who, caught off guard, didn't react the way the cop wanted.

(And, don't nobody tell me the cop wouldn't have over-reacted and shot a peaceful OCer who didn't respond fast enough or whirled quickly to the sudden situation. The cop was already highly over-reacting.)

NC-Heel

Yes please follow up on this. If nothing else file a complaint on how the situation was handled. Sounds like there needs to be some re-education in that city that I formerly lived in. I was glad to get out of Monroe and Union County.

J-SiN

I live in MOnroe and open carry a lot
I have heard from people hired on the dept that it is the most corrupt dept in the state
many hirees left for other depts
but that isnt relevant to this

I have carried in wal mart and other places several times and its just a matter of time
contact an attorney and sue sounds feasible
except that the courts are all rigged

KBCraig

As you state in your post it wasn't you who was dragged outside and intimidated. The only thing I think you should do is be a good witness.

Are you saying the OP wasn't violated? He was grabbed and forcibly searched at gunpoint with no reasonable suspicion.

It's not as bad as what happened to the guy who was actually carrying, but it's still inexcusable!

FlyBoy276

Officer: Who has the gun!?
Me: *looks at his drawn service weapon* ...uh, is this a trick question?

:uhoh:

OC for ME

Is there video of the encounter from inside the store and/or outside the store? Get a attorney and pull a hacksaw.jpeg on those cops. Lay the lumber to them.

carolina guy

Sounds like threats to continue unlawful harassment of a legal activity...I am starting to think this might need a federal civil rights suit and definitely walking around with your voice recorder running!!

Fallschirjmäger

sounds like we need a meet and greet in Monroe, and also to invite the chief and the Sargent.

"Who called about a gun at XXby's?"
"I did, officer, that man in the yellow shirt has one."
Suddenly the tense encounter is interrupted by a radio, "Officer 34, respond to a report of a man with a gun at XXby's."
"I got him, Dispatch."
"Description is he's wearing a blue shirt."
"Dispatch, subject in custody, and it's a yellow shirt."
"Negative, Officer 34, that was the previous call. ... Standby.... Respond to a report of a man with a gun at XXby's, description is a male wearing a red shirt and blue jeans."
"Dangit Dispatch, make up your mind, is it a yellow shirt, a blue one or a red shirt."
"That's correct, 34. Standby.... Respond to a call about a man with a gun, subject is described as wearing a white and red striped shirt and standing about 10 feet behind you."
"Officer down, officer down! They're everywhere! Send in reinforcements, send in everyone!"
"Who, 34?"

tumblr_m1930ks6Go1qbpn3g.gif

Last edited:

Superlite27

As you state in your post it wasn't you who was dragged outside and intimidated. The only thing I think you should do is be a good witness. I don't know if you can offer that to the guy who was abused having done nothing unlawful if you don't know him.

Absolu...no....er....YES! Oh wait.....No. I mean, Yes....sort of.

I'm confused.

How can you come so close to offering good advice......and then miss it by a mile?

It wasn't the OP who was intimidated? Since when is HAVING A GUN POINTED AT YOU AND FRISKED FOR NO PROBABLE CAUSE "not being intimidated"?

They BOTH were unlawfully siezed and searched! The "ONLY" thing he should do is "be a good witness"? He has the sole ability to corroborate the defense (or lawsuit) the other guy chooses to enact! AND VICE-VERSA! The OTHER GUY can attest to the officer illegally searching and detaining him should the OP choose to sue. This is GOLD! They don't know each other, aren't related, and weren't even knowlegeable of each other's presence in the store until the cop performed his illegal actions. There's no way an opposing attorney can say they "cooked this up" between them. If there is a GATTTOTP charge against the other guy, the OP can testify that THE OFFICER caused more terror than the defendant and SAVE HIS KIESTER. If there were no charges filed, the OP can testify about the illegal detention and illegal search by the officer should the other guy file suit.

Your advice to be a good witness is sound advice, but it isn't the ONLY thing he should consider doing. This is his encounter and experience, so it is entirely up to him as to what reaction he chooses. However, if I HAD A GUN CARELESSLY POINTED AT ME BY A JACKBOOTED THUG WITH A BADGE...the least I would do is file a simple FOIA request, find out who "the other guy" was, and offer him, or his attorney my sincere help in testifying on his behalf. The LEAST I would do.

If this senseless drama happened to me, I would probably do as others have said on this board and contact an attorney for my own benefit. However, this isn't my squirrel hunt, so it is entirely up to the OP whether or not having a gun stuck in his face makes him feel like preventing such occurrence in the future to some other poor OC'er who might end up on the loud end of Officer Ramrod's service weapon.

J-SiN

absolu...no....er....yes! Oh wait.....no. I mean, yes....sort of.

I'm confused.

How can you come so close to offering good advice......and then miss it by a mile?

It wasn't the op who was intimidated? Since when is having a gun pointed at you and frisked for no probable cause "not being intimidated"?

They both were unlawfully siezed and searched! The "only" thing he should do is "be a good witness"? He has the sole ability to corroborate the defense (or lawsuit) the other guy chooses to enact! And vice-versa! The other guy can attest to the officer illegally searching and detaining him should the op choose to sue. This is gold! They don't know each other, aren't related, and weren't even knowlegeable of each other's presence in the store until the cop performed his illegal actions. There's no way an opposing attorney can say they "cooked this up" between them. If there is a gatttotp charge against the other guy, the op can testify that the officer caused more terror than the defendant and save his kiester. If there were no charges filed, the op can testify about the illegal detention and illegal search by the officer should the other guy file suit.

Your advice to be a good witness is sound advice, but it isn't the only thing he should consider doing. This is his encounter and experience, so it is entirely up to him as to what reaction he chooses. However, if i had a gun carelessly pointed at me by a jackbooted thug with a badge...the least i would do is file a simple foia request, find out who "the other guy" was, and offer him, or his attorney my sincere help in testifying on his behalf. The least i would do.

If this senseless drama happened to me, i would probably do as others have said on this board and contact an attorney for my own benefit. However, this isn't my squirrel hunt, so it is entirely up to the op whether or not having a gun stuck in his face makes him feel like preventing such occurrence in the future to some other poor oc'er who might end up on the loud end of officer ramrod's service weapon.

that was awesome!