• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts/experiences with the SIG 556 rifle

DamonK

Looking at picking up a very lightly used swat model for $1500. Anyone out there have any pros or cons for these rifles?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

77zach

8.2 lbs for a $1,500 5.56 rifle? No thanks. My colt 6720 is six pounds and was $1,000. It doesn't sound like much difference, but pick them both up and it is remarkable. There are .308 rifles being made that weigh less than 8 pounds.

Last edited:

capnehhab

Sig 556

Hey,
Only new to posting here, I guess I just don't have much to say. Anyway, thought you might like to hear from someone who actually owns a Sig, nothing against Zach as he makes a valid point, but my tiny girlfriend has claimed it as her own so I guess love may trump a couple pounds. That point aside, I have very much enjoyed mine for the last 4 or 5 years I've owned it. It has remarkably low recoil, folding stock and it was originally made for a gas piston system<--obviously the reason for the added weight IMO a good trade-off. Oh! plus accuracy, straight from the box amazing! And as my girlfriend says "It really sounds sexy when you shoot it." I take it as a compliment... I think.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
After 21 years in the Army, I hate the AR platform especially gas impingement. If I were to get an AR it would have to be a gas piston type. Also check over on seattleguns.net, and look for fishranger he has a nice piston set-up.

DamonK

I should probably add that I already have a couple ARs. I'm looking at the SIG design because they have a reputation for flawless performance. Honestly, the weight is not an issue for me. I'm much more interested in a rifle that will be extremely accurate and reliable than something that weighs a little less. Not that I'm some huge macho guy, but I'm used to carrying much more than that on a daily basis.

capnehhab

You're looking in the right place then. I wouldn't call myself lazy, but I have let the gun sit for quite a while on numerous occasions after extended use. It still never requires more cleaning than a quick toothbrush to the front of the piston(and barrel I guess, but not with a toothbrush). Also, Owning both AR's and AK's it was really interesting cracking open my Sig-556 for the first time, it just seems like the person who designed it really wanted to take all of the best parts for both platforms and combine them, like an AR and an AK made sweet love. This is most obvious when you take a look at the bolt carrier groups. So, if reliability and accuracy(plus fun) is what your looking for get it now! If I had the money I'd buy two more.

Plus, it works with AR magazines, and looks sick with a Beta mag. nuff' said

Last edited:

DamonK

You're looking in the right place then. I wouldn't call myself lazy, but I have let the gun sit for quite a while on numerous occasions after extended use. It still never requires more cleaning than a quick toothbrush to the front of the piston(and barrel I guess, but not with a toothbrush). Also, Owning both AR's and AK's it was really interesting cracking open my Sig-556 for the first time, it just seems like the person who designed it really wanted to take all of the best parts for both platforms and combine them, like an AR and an AK made sweet love. This is most obvious when you take a look at the bolt carrier groups. So, if reliability and accuracy(plus fun) is what your looking for get it now! If I had the money I'd buy two more.

Plus, it works with AR magazines, and looks sick with a Beta mag. nuff' said

Ok, great information. I appericiate it. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow morning. That and a new 375 H&H are part of my retirement presents to myself :D

capnehhab

Glad to help. I would say I hope you enjoy it, but I'm sure you will. Also, congratulations on your retirement and your present to yourself. Both things to celebrate.

DamonK

Glad to help. I would say I hope you enjoy it, but I'm sure you will. Also, congratulations on your retirement and your present to yourself. Both things to celebrate.

Just picked up a beta mag!

capnehhab

Ha! +1 for not living in NY, CA etc... Although I must say, I don't know if you were thinking of a Beta mag before, but I should be a salesman.

Last edited:

DamonK

Ha! +1 for not living in NY, CA etc... Although I must say, I don't know if you were thinking of a Beta mag before, but I should be a salesman.

I wasn't, but I am now! It should be arriving in a day or two. Once it's all put together I'll post some pics.