Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: Seymour PD?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seymour, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    15

    Seymour PD?

    I submitted my paperwork on February 3rd to the local PD with all their required information.

    Officer in charge said 6-8 weeks for a response and if I didn't hear by 8 weeks to call...

    I investigated today that two of my three checks were cashed. The local PD check for $70.00 has not been cashed.

    I'm planning to call tomorrow to check the status of my TEMP. Hoping there won't be an issue where I need to appeal especially with the hammer that's probably going to drop by the lawmakers!!!

  2. #2
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Call DESPP records department and get the date they sent the background check back to the PD. Make sure you have your money order receipts handy when doing this so you can provide the money order numbers/information so they can track it, this information typically is required due to the confidentiality of everything and serves as proof you are who you say you are, and helps locate the proper information. The phone number to call is: 860-685-8480 AND ASK FOR 'RECORDS'. Sometimes they'll give you the runaround too. if this happens, just keep calling every half hour or so trying to maintain politeness haha, until you get your answer.

    then you can call the PD again to inquire on the status of your permit. if they tell you they're still waiting for your background check to come back, you can immediately tell them you know exactly when they already received it and tell them the date according to DESPP. they'll probably be at a loss of words, or come up with another excuse, and you can go from there however you see fit, possibly mentioning an appeal if you so desire.

    Chances are though, you'll probably need to appeal. Know though that by filing an appeal, you typically don't need to wait to actually have the appeal hearing. the BFPE will send info to the PD and whatnot, and that usually kicks em in the rear to get your application finalized, typically resulting in the permit being issued fairly quickly. typically, not always.

    from what I've gathered, Seymour is horrible about pistol permits, and without an appeal they often can take several EXTRA MONTHS to issue a determination, at which point you can no longer appeal because appeals need to be within 90 days of the timeframe used for the reason for appeal
    Last edited by motoxmann; 04-03-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seymour, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    15
    Made the call and the told me to contact my local PD first and get info, then call them back

    UPDATE @ 4:30PM

    Called Seymour PD... saying that my FBI prints/check just came back (BS) and that my state background check has not been done (BS)... Saying that they are backlogged (guess that's the excuse of the century)

    Called DESPP again and said their policy states they're not allowed to give out personal information regarding the background check unless it's the local authority requesting it. The woman I spoke to was very nice and said it's the responsibility of the PD to verify the background check and the fact that my check cleared is a probable indication it's already been done and the PD is slacking on getting the info. She also said that there are towns that are not following the rules of the permitting process.

    I've already got my letter written and will be mailing it tomorrow. Would it be a good idea for it to be mailed certified to the permit appeal board?
    Last edited by John McKenzie Jr; 04-03-2013 at 04:41 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKenzie Jr View Post
    Made the call and the told me to contact my local PD first and get info, then call them back

    UPDATE @ 4:30PM

    Called Seymour PD... saying that my FBI prints/check just came back (BS) and that my state background check has not been done (BS)... Saying that they are backlogged (guess that's the excuse of the century)

    Called DESPP again and said their policy states they're not allowed to give out personal information regarding the background check unless it's the local authority requesting it. The woman I spoke to was very nice and said it's the responsibility of the PD to verify the background check and the fact that my check cleared is a probable indication it's already been done and the PD is slacking on getting the info. She also said that there are towns that are not following the rules of the permitting process.
    this is the standard runaround. you can call DESPP records again and request the dates, the date that they received your BG check request and prints, and the date they sent the results back to the PD. they have to give that info, and they do give that info. sometimes it just takes a few tries to get someone willing to actually do their job.

    Quote Originally Posted by John McKenzie Jr View Post
    I've already got my letter written and will be mailing it tomorrow. Would it be a good idea for it to be mailed certified to the permit appeal board?
    yes. I see though you only stated "letter". Did you print and fill out the questionnaire as well? you need to send in both together at the same time.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  5. #5
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    To file an appeal, follow the instructions at this link:

    http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?...4192&bfpeNav=|

    You would be using the "due to 8 week delay" method.

    Be sure to fill out the questionaire as well, and you MUST send in the appeal letter and questionaire together in the same envelope to ensure you get on the list and also prompting documents to be sent to the issuing authority.

    Chances are you'll probably receive your permit before the actual appeal hearing, assuming you are eligible. If this does occur, you absolutely MUST notify the BFPE immediately upon receiving your permit so they can cancel your appeal and allow that time slot to be used by someone else in need of an appeal. Even in the rare chance that they issue your permit the same day or day after you having mailed out the letter and questionaire, you still need to contact BFPE to let them know you mailed the information on [approx date] but that you have received your permit now.



    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you can actually go to the BFPE office and deliver your letter and questionnaire in person, which will speed the process up by a few days skipping the mail. I'd call and ask them first though before wasting a trip
    http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/site/default.asp

    860-256-2977

    Board of Firearms Permit Examiners

    20 Trinity Street, 5th floor

    Hartford, CT 06106
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seymour, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    15
    I'll be sure to do the questionnaire as well

    I will mail it tomorrow anyway and also call

    DESPP told me that the PD has to call for the request of results


    SIDE NOTE: I had a gut feeling it was going to come to this after hearing from one of the permit board members throwing a lot of the chief's of police under the bus for making up their own rules...
    Last edited by John McKenzie Jr; 04-03-2013 at 07:21 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seymour, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    15
    Sent my letter and questionnaire certified letter.

    I also emailed the officer in charge of the permits as a friendly reminder that the eight weeks has passed and I look forward to hearing a decision regarding the issuance of my temporary permit.
    We'll see what kind of response I get if any???

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKenzie Jr View Post
    Sent my letter and questionnaire certified letter.

    I also emailed the officer in charge of the permits as a friendly reminder that the eight weeks has passed and I look forward to hearing a decision regarding the issuance of my temporary permit.
    We'll see what kind of response I get if any???
    You can call sue at the BFPE and insure that the stuff got rec. and you get put on this list ....

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seymour, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    15
    Letter was received by the Board of Permit Examiners and I'm going to be placed on a hearing list for October 2013. SUCKS!!!

    Called and talked to Sue at their office and she was very helpful saying that all the towns throughout CT. have not been processing permits within the 8 week time period. Some are telling the applicants that they are not processing applications for 16 weeks and beyond... She was also informative (not good news) that towns put the permitting applications on the low priority list so to speak.

    I'll hope for the best and keep calling the town every week or two for a status update & keep my fingers crossed for the TEMP to arrive sooner than later.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKenzie Jr View Post
    Letter was received by the Board of Permit Examiners and I'm going to be placed on a hearing list for October 2013. SUCKS!!!

    Called and talked to Sue at their office and she was very helpful saying that all the towns throughout CT. have not been processing permits within the 8 week time period. Some are telling the applicants that they are not processing applications for 16 weeks and beyond... She was also informative (not good news) that towns put the permitting applications on the low priority list so to speak.

    I'll hope for the best and keep calling the town every week or two for a status update & keep my fingers crossed for the TEMP to arrive sooner than later.
    That's one of the reasons why I supported the elimination of the board ... next time if I have issues I'm going before any freaking board ... I'll be at my 1st selectman's office, home, and business taking it to his face.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    125
    Interesting thought. Since your stuck waiting why not attend your towns next town meeting and when they open the floor to new business pose the question to your mayor. Ask him why his police department isn't doing its job and following the rules. Ask him why you have to follow the rules while town employees dont. Put him on the spot in front of his "peers" and make him answer.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seymour, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    15
    Took the initiative and wrote to my First Selectman... We'll see what comes of that, if anything

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKenzie Jr View Post
    Took the initiative and wrote to my First Selectman... We'll see what comes of that, if anything
    Your 1st selectman also your chief of police? So he cannot say "don't contact me, I let the police deal with it"
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 04-08-2013 at 11:17 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seymour, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    15
    Seymour has a separate PD chief & 1st selectman

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seymour, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    15
    Good evening First Selectman Miller,

    I am a 9 year resident of Seymour and have recently applied for my CT. pistol permit with the Seymour PD. My completed application, fingerprint cards, NRA certificate, and all the necessary identification & fees were accepted by officer ******* on February 3rd, 2013. Today being April 8th, 2013 a decision to issue my temporary permit has yet to be determined. I spoke with officer ******** on Wednesday April 3rd to check on the status of my application and he indicated that my FBI background check report had just been received (no date was given as to when it was received), and that Lt. ****** has been out in order to further review my application (unsure as to what he meant by this)... He was under the impression that it could take an additional one to two weeks, indicating that the department was backlogged with permit applications at this time.

    As a long time law abiding citizen of Seymour and non-existent criminal history , I am asking for any assistance that you may have offer in this matter... I thank you sir for all your time and efforts.

    The Connecticut General Statutes prescribe a rather strict timeline for the pistol permit process. This timeline is dictated by CGS 29-28a and CGS 29-29. The deadlines described in these statutes give your local issuing authority "5 days" from the date you submit your application with fingerprints until they must submit your fingerprints to the State Police Bureau of Identification (SPBI). Once your FBI report is received back from the SPBI, the local issuing authority has "one week" to issue an approval or denial.

    Sincerely...


    His 1st response as follows...

    As First Selectman, I don't exercise any power over the gun permit process, but I called over to the Police Dept. to check up on your application. Officer ******* will be in tomorrow so I will try again tomorrow to speak with him and I will get back to you. It is my understanding that there is a backlog in permit applications due to the spike in the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings. I will confirm if this is the case tomorrow.

    His followup today...

    I spoke to Officer ****** just now and he told me that at this point, the Town is waiting to hear back from the State on the issue. The problem is indeed that there is a backlog of about 2 months on the State end and even the FBI is having trouble keeping up on their end of the process. Also, Lt. ******* was out last week. They assured me that they will be contacting you as soon as they hear back from the State. I hope this helps.



    So here's my BIG QUESTION!!! You expect me to believe the state is backlogged about 2 months on permit application background checks??? REALLY??? Is this the biggest load of BS or what?

  16. #16
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    you should reply back informing him that they MUST issue a reply within one week of receiving the national background check, that the state background check is irrelevant to the timeline set forth in the statutes. also I would inform him of the line in the statute stating the entire process can not take more than 8 weeks.

    You should really call over to the DESPP and get your dates, and include that in your reply back to him, which I can almost guarantee will prove to him that the PD is not only BS'ing you but also BS'ing the first selectman.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seymour, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    15
    I've called DESPP twice and they would not give me the information

    Maybe I'll call again tomorrow and tell them I've been informed that there is a 2 month backlog. I'll see what kind of response I get then...

    I can't imagine the DESPP is going to call the PD and tell them to issue my permit. The board of permit examiners even said they wouldn't be proactive to move it along and avoid a hearing.

    I've got plenty of patience and since my record is clean, my appeal letter is already on the books, it's all good...


    I want to remain professional and try not to piss the wrong people off and get an automatic denial... Besides, it took me a week to get the initial appointment to have my prints done and submit my application.

    Just hitting up the safe avenues 1st to see if they produce it sooner than later.

  18. #18
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKenzie Jr View Post
    I've called DESPP twice and they would not give me the information

    Maybe I'll call again tomorrow and tell them I've been informed that there is a 2 month backlog. I'll see what kind of response I get then...

    I can't imagine the DESPP is going to call the PD and tell them to issue my permit. The board of permit examiners even said they wouldn't be proactive to move it along and avoid a hearing.

    I've got plenty of patience and since my record is clean, my appeal letter is already on the books, it's all good...


    I want to remain professional and try not to piss the wrong people off and get an automatic denial... Besides, it took me a week to get the initial appointment to have my prints done and submit my application.

    Just hitting up the safe avenues 1st to see if they produce it sooner than later.
    DESPP has nothing to do with the PD or the BFPE, they have no say in anything. your sole purpose for calling DESPP is to get the date they sent your background check results back to the PD. keep calling until they give you the information. They have to give you the info, whether they like it or not. sometime you just need to call multiple times until they actually give it to you. If I recall, Jane is usually the one that provides the info readily and politely. everyone else seems to be a jerkoff most times and doesn't do their job.
    You can politely tell them if they refuse again that they might as well just look it up and give it to you because you'll keep calling until someone does give it to you.

    and the sole purpose for getting that date is so you can throw it in the face of the PD and to provide it to the BFPE for the appeal, and so it goes on record that Seymour PD is BS'ing people and not following the law, and so you can provide it to the first selectman so he knows the PD is lying even to him.

    get your date. keep calling until you get it.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKenzie Jr View Post
    I've called DESPP twice and they would not give me the information
    DESPP is just full of liars ....

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKenzie Jr View Post


    His 1st response as follows...

    As First Selectman, I don't exercise any power over the gun permit process, but I called over to the Police Dept. to check up on your application. Officer ******* will be in tomorrow so I will try again tomorrow to speak with him and I will get back to you. It is my understanding that there is a backlog in permit applications due to the spike in the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings. I will confirm if this is the case tomorrow.

    His followup today...

    I spoke to Officer ****** just now and he told me that at this point, the Town is waiting to hear back from the State on the issue. The problem is indeed that there is a backlog of about 2 months on the State end and even the FBI is having trouble keeping up on their end of the process. Also, Lt. ******* was out last week. They assured me that they will be contacting you as soon as they hear back from the State. I hope this helps.



    So here's my BIG QUESTION!!! You expect me to believe the state is backlogged about 2 months on permit application background checks??? REALLY??? Is this the biggest load of BS or what?
    They can issue out a temp permit w/o doing anything ... and that the guy was out last week (Lt. ??) ... do a foia request and ask for his time sheet ... you'll likely find that this is a lie. Do this and you'll know that the PD has no intention of giving you a permit...

    So you can stop wasting your resources and just wait for a BFPE hearing ... and to prepare for such a hearing
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 04-10-2013 at 11:01 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKenzie Jr View Post
    I've called DESPP twice and they would not give me the information

    Maybe I'll call again tomorrow and tell them I've been informed that there is a 2 month backlog. I'll see what kind of response I get then...

    I can't imagine the DESPP is going to call the PD and tell them to issue my permit. The board of permit examiners even said they wouldn't be proactive to move it along and avoid a hearing.

    I've got plenty of patience and since my record is clean, my appeal letter is already on the books, it's all good...


    I want to remain professional and try not to piss the wrong people off and get an automatic denial... Besides, it took me a week to get the initial appointment to have my prints done and submit my application.

    Just hitting up the safe avenues 1st to see if they produce it sooner than later.
    John-

    I submitted my application on January 29. I got the call today that my temp permit was ready to be picked up at my local PD. I stopped on my way home from work. I'll be going to Middletown next week. Hopefully this means you'll get yours next week.

    I'm in northern CT. My local PD was generally wonderful. Although they weren't volunteering any info, they told me last week that the FBI response had been received on March 13, and that the only remaining item was the the DESPP response. Like you, I tried to get a status from them earlier this week, and was rudely denied any info. I wrote a letter to my state senator asking him to consider legislatively addressing the situation.

    Jerry

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    240

    Re: Seymour PD?

    In Illinois we have to possess a FOID card in order to have any firearm or pellet gun or ammunition. By statute, the state must process all applications within 30 days. The state doesn't care. They are now taking 3 months or more to process or renew FOID applications. Even an expired FOID is a felony.

    Carthago Delenda Est

  23. #23
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampLedge View Post
    John-

    I submitted my application on January 29. I got the call today that my temp permit was ready to be picked up at my local PD. I stopped on my way home from work. I'll be going to Middletown next week. Hopefully this means you'll get yours next week.

    I'm in northern CT. My local PD was generally wonderful. Although they weren't volunteering any info, they told me last week that the FBI response had been received on March 13, and that the only remaining item was the the DESPP response. Like you, I tried to get a status from them earlier this week, and was rudely denied any info. I wrote a letter to my state senator asking him to consider legislatively addressing the situation.

    Jerry
    Please share your permit dates with us: http://ctcarry.com/PermitTimes/Add
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt555gs View Post
    In Illinois we have to possess a FOID card in order to have any firearm or pellet gun or ammunition. By statute, the state must process all applications within 30 days. The state doesn't care. They are now taking 3 months or more to process or renew FOID applications. Even an expired FOID is a felony.

    Carthago Delenda Est
    (430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-2)
    Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
    (a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm,
    stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
    (2) No person may acquire or possess firearm
    ammunition within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
    ...

    (430 ILCS 65/3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-3)
    Sec. 3. (a) Except as provided in Section 3a, no person may knowingly transfer, or cause to be transferred, any firearm, firearm ammunition, stun gun, or taser to any person within this State unless the transferee with whom he deals displays a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card which has previously been issued in his name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act. In addition, all firearm, stun gun, and taser transfers by federally licensed firearm dealers are subject to Section 3.1.
    ....

    (b-5) Any resident may purchase ammunition from a person within or outside of Illinois if shipment is by United States mail or by a private express carrier authorized by federal law to ship ammunition. Any resident purchasing ammunition within or outside the State of Illinois must provide the seller with a copy of his or her valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card and either his or her Illinois driver's license or Illinois State Identification Card prior to the shipment of the ammunition. The ammunition may be shipped only to an address on either of those 2 documents.


    I have always read the statues that if your foid card laspes into being out-of-date it just limits one - cannot buy ammo, cannot buy a gun. I never saw the law as saying that it is now illegal for you to possess just because of a lapsed card. Anyone else think the same?

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seymour, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    15
    temporary permit came in the mail today dated April 16th

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •