• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seymour PD?

SwampLedge

I've called DESPP twice and they would not give me the information

Maybe I'll call again tomorrow and tell them I've been informed that there is a 2 month backlog. I'll see what kind of response I get then...

I can't imagine the DESPP is going to call the PD and tell them to issue my permit. The board of permit examiners even said they wouldn't be proactive to move it along and avoid a hearing.

I've got plenty of patience and since my record is clean, my appeal letter is already on the books, it's all good...

I want to remain professional and try not to piss the wrong people off and get an automatic denial... Besides, it took me a week to get the initial appointment to have my prints done and submit my application.

Just hitting up the safe avenues 1st to see if they produce it sooner than later.

John-

I submitted my application on January 29. I got the call today that my temp permit was ready to be picked up at my local PD. I stopped on my way home from work. I'll be going to Middletown next week. Hopefully this means you'll get yours next week.

I'm in northern CT. My local PD was generally wonderful. Although they weren't volunteering any info, they told me last week that the FBI response had been received on March 13, and that the only remaining item was the the DESPP response. Like you, I tried to get a status from them earlier this week, and was rudely denied any info. I wrote a letter to my state senator asking him to consider legislatively addressing the situation.

Jerry

kurt555gs

In Illinois we have to possess a FOID card in order to have any firearm or pellet gun or ammunition. By statute, the state must process all applications within 30 days. The state doesn't care. They are now taking 3 months or more to process or renew FOID applications. Even an expired FOID is a felony.

Carthago Delenda Est

Rich B

John-

I submitted my application on January 29. I got the call today that my temp permit was ready to be picked up at my local PD. I stopped on my way home from work. I'll be going to Middletown next week. Hopefully this means you'll get yours next week.

I'm in northern CT. My local PD was generally wonderful. Although they weren't volunteering any info, they told me last week that the FBI response had been received on March 13, and that the only remaining item was the the DESPP response. Like you, I tried to get a status from them earlier this week, and was rudely denied any info. I wrote a letter to my state senator asking him to consider legislatively addressing the situation.

Jerry

Please share your permit dates with us: http://ctcarry.com/PermitTimes/Add

davidmcbeth

Banned
In Illinois we have to possess a FOID card in order to have any firearm or pellet gun or ammunition. By statute, the state must process all applications within 30 days. The state doesn't care. They are now taking 3 months or more to process or renew FOID applications. Even an expired FOID is a felony.

Carthago Delenda Est

(430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-2)
Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
(a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm,
stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
(2) No person may acquire or possess firearm
ammunition within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.

(430 ILCS 65/3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-3)
Sec. 3. (a) Except as provided in Section 3a, no person may knowingly transfer, or cause to be transferred, any firearm, firearm ammunition, stun gun, or taser to any person within this State unless the transferee with whom he deals displays a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card which has previously been issued in his name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act. In addition, all firearm, stun gun, and taser transfers by federally licensed firearm dealers are subject to Section 3.1.

(b-5) Any resident may purchase ammunition from a person within or outside of Illinois if shipment is by United States mail or by a private express carrier authorized by federal law to ship ammunition. Any resident purchasing ammunition within or outside the State of Illinois must provide the seller with a copy of his or her valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card and either his or her Illinois driver's license or Illinois State Identification Card prior to the shipment of the ammunition. The ammunition may be shipped only to an address on either of those 2 documents.

I have always read the statues that if your foid card laspes into being out-of-date it just limits one - cannot buy ammo, cannot buy a gun. I never saw the law as saying that it is now illegal for you to possess just because of a lapsed card. Anyone else think the same?

motoxmann

temporary permit came in the mail today dated April 16th

Told ya they were BS'ing you lol, I bet that appeals questionnaire they received kicked em in the behind. that is great news though!
I'm actually a bit shocked they mailed it though, and that it took so long to arrive. Most PD's call to notify you and you have to go pick it up in person and show ID to prove you are the person named on the permit. They probably just wanted to avoid any face to face contact and wussed out.

Now don't forget to contact BFPE and cancel your appeal asap, so others who need it can get in line in a timely fashion

SwampLedge

John-
I got my "permanent" last Tuesday. Showed up at Middletown at 8:25 am, was fourth in line, and out of there at 9 am. It was pretty quiet. Be forewarned: the trooper at the door will hold your car keys until you leave. I was unhappy that he did not advise me he was doing that, and spent my time at the window worried that I had left them in my car.
Jerry

davidmcbeth

Banned
John-
I got my "permanent" last Tuesday. Showed up at Middletown at 8:25 am, was fourth in line, and out of there at 9 am. It was pretty quiet. Be forewarned: the trooper at the door will hold your car keys until you leave. I was unhappy that he did not advise me he was doing that, and spent my time at the window worried that I had left them in my car.
Jerry

Hold your keys? They have no right to hold your keys.... I have had problems with those folks before ... I never yield, never bend. Last time I was there they brandished a gun on me. They know I don't play games.

And I assure you --- I will not give them my keys....

How do you know they did not search your car?

Last edited:

motoxmann

Hold your keys? They have no right to hold your keys.... I have had problems with those folks before ... I never yield, never bend. Last time I was there they brandished a gun on me. They know I don't play games.

And I assure you --- I will not give them my keys....

How do you know they did not search your car?

yeah no kidding. wtf would they hold your keys for? I've been there a few times myself and they've never held onto anything of mine, and I've never seen them hold onto anything of anybody else's either.

to anyone who goes to DESPP: check your belongings after passing through the security check. make sure you get everything back. if you don't get everything back, and none of it is illegal (knives or other weapons), demand your stuff back immediately. if they say they can't let you enter while in possession of your car keys or some BS, just get it all back and leave, and come back in 30 mins. wouldn't be a bad idea to record the whole event on video or at least an audio recorder either. plenty of legal troubles for DESPP if they pull crap like that

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
yeah no kidding. wtf would they hold your keys for? I've been there a few times myself and they've never held onto anything of mine, and I've never seen them hold onto anything of anybody else's either.

to anyone who goes to DESPP: check your belongings after passing through the security check. make sure you get everything back. if you don't get everything back, and none of it is illegal (knives or other weapons), demand your stuff back immediately. if they say they can't let you enter while in possession of your car keys or some BS, just get it all back and leave, and come back in 30 mins. wouldn't be a bad idea to record the whole event on video or at least an audio recorder either. plenty of legal troubles for DESPP if they pull crap like that

Oh, I would not leave .... I would be arresting the idiot who thinks he can keep my keys for theft and attempted car theft, attempted burglary...and speak loud enough so that everyone in the building can hear.

I would like to see if anyone else has had to turn in their keys ~ its possible that the guy who's keys they kept had a knife on the key chain.

motoxmann

its possible that the guy who's keys they kept had a knife on the key chain.

that is the ONLY reason they could hold onto them.
but in that case, don't be stupid; if you have a knife on your keychain, take it off and leave it in the car before you go in.

smokeyburnout

Since we're on the topic of Seymour... I have heard from a very reliable source (in the pd) that they will no longer be accepting pistol permit applications. It will be imteresting to see what people are told from here on out.

SwampLedge

Oh, I would not leave ....

I would like to see if anyone else has had to turn in their keys ~ its possible that the guy who's keys they kept had a knife on the key chain.

After he returned my keys, I noticed he had a complete collection of them on the table behind him. I'm sure it was his technique to make sure that the visitors' badges were returned when we left. And no, there was no knife on my key chain. Just the car key..

davidmcbeth

Banned
Since we're on the topic of Seymour... I have heard from a very reliable source (in the pd) that they will no longer be accepting pistol permit applications. It will be imteresting to see what people are told from here on out.

Hmmmm US Mail ... or just give it to the first selectman or mail it in ... if they return it to you then one would have a good estoppel claim regarding any charges?

motoxmann

1) that's illegal
2) as mentioned above, give it to the first selectman or mail it to the chief of police certified mail. by law, they have 5 days from the time they receive your application to when they need to send your prints to DESPP. which means you need to go in for prints, or provide your own fingerprint cards. after that 5 days if they haven't sent the prints to DESPP, you can immediately file an appeal.
3) if they reject acceptance of the application in the form of #2 above, you can immediately file an appeal. in fact, you can file an appeal simply by them refusing to give you an application. they are also required by law to provide an application to anyone who requests one.

Last edited:

Kb10

This is my first post, I am also from seymour and today marks the end of week 8 for me. I just spoke to the officer who takes the prints (whom is also a neighbor) and they are currently processing the week before me so he said another few days. Should I not have it by the end of next week I will then appeal.

I also asked him if about seymour not accepting more applications and that is absolutely not true.

Karl