• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seymour PD?

John McKenzie Jr

I submitted my paperwork on February 3rd to the local PD with all their required information.

Officer in charge said 6-8 weeks for a response and if I didn't hear by 8 weeks to call...

I investigated today that two of my three checks were cashed. The local PD check for $70.00 has not been cashed.

I'm planning to call tomorrow to check the status of my TEMP. Hoping there won't be an issue where I need to appeal especially with the hammer that's probably going to drop by the lawmakers!!! :eek:

motoxmann

Call DESPP records department and get the date they sent the background check back to the PD. Make sure you have your money order receipts handy when doing this so you can provide the money order numbers/information so they can track it, this information typically is required due to the confidentiality of everything and serves as proof you are who you say you are, and helps locate the proper information. The phone number to call is: 860-685-8480 AND ASK FOR 'RECORDS'. Sometimes they'll give you the runaround too. if this happens, just keep calling every half hour or so trying to maintain politeness haha, until you get your answer.

then you can call the PD again to inquire on the status of your permit. if they tell you they're still waiting for your background check to come back, you can immediately tell them you know exactly when they already received it and tell them the date according to DESPP. they'll probably be at a loss of words, or come up with another excuse, and you can go from there however you see fit, possibly mentioning an appeal if you so desire.

Chances are though, you'll probably need to appeal. Know though that by filing an appeal, you typically don't need to wait to actually have the appeal hearing. the BFPE will send info to the PD and whatnot, and that usually kicks em in the rear to get your application finalized, typically resulting in the permit being issued fairly quickly. typically, not always.

from what I've gathered, Seymour is horrible about pistol permits, and without an appeal they often can take several EXTRA MONTHS to issue a determination, at which point you can no longer appeal because appeals need to be within 90 days of the timeframe used for the reason for appeal

Last edited:

John McKenzie Jr

Made the call and the told me to contact my local PD first and get info, then call them back

UPDATE @ 4:30PM

Called Seymour PD... saying that my FBI prints/check just came back (BS) and that my state background check has not been done (BS)... Saying that they are backlogged (guess that's the excuse of the century)

Called DESPP again and said their policy states they're not allowed to give out personal information regarding the background check unless it's the local authority requesting it. The woman I spoke to was very nice and said it's the responsibility of the PD to verify the background check and the fact that my check cleared is a probable indication it's already been done and the PD is slacking on getting the info. She also said that there are towns that are not following the rules of the permitting process.

I've already got my letter written and will be mailing it tomorrow. Would it be a good idea for it to be mailed certified to the permit appeal board?

Last edited:

motoxmann

Made the call and the told me to contact my local PD first and get info, then call them back

UPDATE @ 4:30PM

Called Seymour PD... saying that my FBI prints/check just came back (BS) and that my state background check has not been done (BS)... Saying that they are backlogged (guess that's the excuse of the century)

Called DESPP again and said their policy states they're not allowed to give out personal information regarding the background check unless it's the local authority requesting it. The woman I spoke to was very nice and said it's the responsibility of the PD to verify the background check and the fact that my check cleared is a probable indication it's already been done and the PD is slacking on getting the info. She also said that there are towns that are not following the rules of the permitting process.

this is the standard runaround. you can call DESPP records again and request the dates, the date that they received your BG check request and prints, and the date they sent the results back to the PD. they have to give that info, and they do give that info. sometimes it just takes a few tries to get someone willing to actually do their job.

I've already got my letter written and will be mailing it tomorrow. Would it be a good idea for it to be mailed certified to the permit appeal board?

yes. I see though you only stated "letter". Did you print and fill out the questionnaire as well? you need to send in both together at the same time.

motoxmann

To file an appeal, follow the instructions at this link:

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1252&Q=254192&bfpeNav=|

You would be using the "due to 8 week delay" method.

Be sure to fill out the questionaire as well, and you MUST send in the appeal letter and questionaire together in the same envelope to ensure you get on the list and also prompting documents to be sent to the issuing authority.

Chances are you'll probably receive your permit before the actual appeal hearing, assuming you are eligible. If this does occur, you absolutely MUST notify the BFPE immediately upon receiving your permit so they can cancel your appeal and allow that time slot to be used by someone else in need of an appeal. Even in the rare chance that they issue your permit the same day or day after you having mailed out the letter and questionaire, you still need to contact BFPE to let them know you mailed the information on [approx date] but that you have received your permit now.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you can actually go to the BFPE office and deliver your letter and questionnaire in person, which will speed the process up by a few days skipping the mail. I'd call and ask them first though before wasting a trip
http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/site/default.asp

860-256-2977

Board of Firearms Permit Examiners

20 Trinity Street, 5th floor

Hartford, CT 06106

John McKenzie Jr

I'll be sure to do the questionnaire as well

I will mail it tomorrow anyway and also call

DESPP told me that the PD has to call for the request of results

SIDE NOTE: I had a gut feeling it was going to come to this after hearing from one of the permit board members throwing a lot of the chief's of police under the bus for making up their own rules...

Last edited:

John McKenzie Jr

Sent my letter and questionnaire certified letter.

I also emailed the officer in charge of the permits as a friendly reminder that the eight weeks has passed and I look forward to hearing a decision regarding the issuance of my temporary permit.
We'll see what kind of response I get if any???

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sent my letter and questionnaire certified letter.

I also emailed the officer in charge of the permits as a friendly reminder that the eight weeks has passed and I look forward to hearing a decision regarding the issuance of my temporary permit.
We'll see what kind of response I get if any???

You can call sue at the BFPE and insure that the stuff got rec. and you get put on this list ....

John McKenzie Jr

Letter was received by the Board of Permit Examiners and I'm going to be placed on a hearing list for October 2013. SUCKS!!!

Called and talked to Sue at their office and she was very helpful saying that all the towns throughout CT. have not been processing permits within the 8 week time period. Some are telling the applicants that they are not processing applications for 16 weeks and beyond... She was also informative (not good news) that towns put the permitting applications on the low priority list so to speak.

I'll hope for the best and keep calling the town every week or two for a status update & keep my fingers crossed for the TEMP to arrive sooner than later.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Letter was received by the Board of Permit Examiners and I'm going to be placed on a hearing list for October 2013. SUCKS!!!

Called and talked to Sue at their office and she was very helpful saying that all the towns throughout CT. have not been processing permits within the 8 week time period. Some are telling the applicants that they are not processing applications for 16 weeks and beyond... She was also informative (not good news) that towns put the permitting applications on the low priority list so to speak.

I'll hope for the best and keep calling the town every week or two for a status update & keep my fingers crossed for the TEMP to arrive sooner than later.

That's one of the reasons why I supported the elimination of the board ... next time if I have issues I'm going before any freaking board ... I'll be at my 1st selectman's office, home, and business taking it to his face.

smokeyburnout

Interesting thought. Since your stuck waiting why not attend your towns next town meeting and when they open the floor to new business pose the question to your mayor. Ask him why his police department isn't doing its job and following the rules. Ask him why you have to follow the rules while town employees dont. Put him on the spot in front of his "peers" and make him answer.

John McKenzie Jr

Good evening First Selectman Miller,

I am a 9 year resident of Seymour and have recently applied for my CT. pistol permit with the Seymour PD. My completed application, fingerprint cards, NRA certificate, and all the necessary identification & fees were accepted by officer ******* on February 3rd, 2013. Today being April 8th, 2013 a decision to issue my temporary permit has yet to be determined. I spoke with officer ******** on Wednesday April 3rd to check on the status of my application and he indicated that my FBI background check report had just been received (no date was given as to when it was received), and that Lt. ****** has been out in order to further review my application (unsure as to what he meant by this)... He was under the impression that it could take an additional one to two weeks, indicating that the department was backlogged with permit applications at this time.

As a long time law abiding citizen of Seymour and non-existent criminal history , I am asking for any assistance that you may have offer in this matter... I thank you sir for all your time and efforts.

The Connecticut General Statutes prescribe a rather strict timeline for the pistol permit process. This timeline is dictated by CGS 29-28a and CGS 29-29. The deadlines described in these statutes give your local issuing authority "5 days" from the date you submit your application with fingerprints until they must submit your fingerprints to the State Police Bureau of Identification (SPBI). Once your FBI report is received back from the SPBI, the local issuing authority has "one week" to issue an approval or denial.

Sincerely...

His 1st response as follows...

As First Selectman, I don't exercise any power over the gun permit process, but I called over to the Police Dept. to check up on your application. Officer ******* will be in tomorrow so I will try again tomorrow to speak with him and I will get back to you. It is my understanding that there is a backlog in permit applications due to the spike in the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings. I will confirm if this is the case tomorrow.

His followup today...

I spoke to Officer ****** just now and he told me that at this point, the Town is waiting to hear back from the State on the issue. The problem is indeed that there is a backlog of about 2 months on the State end and even the FBI is having trouble keeping up on their end of the process. Also, Lt. ******* was out last week. They assured me that they will be contacting you as soon as they hear back from the State. I hope this helps.

So here's my BIG QUESTION!!! You expect me to believe the state is backlogged about 2 months on permit application background checks??? REALLY??? Is this the biggest load of BS or what?

motoxmann

you should reply back informing him that they MUST issue a reply within one week of receiving the national background check, that the state background check is irrelevant to the timeline set forth in the statutes. also I would inform him of the line in the statute stating the entire process can not take more than 8 weeks.

You should really call over to the DESPP and get your dates, and include that in your reply back to him, which I can almost guarantee will prove to him that the PD is not only BS'ing you but also BS'ing the first selectman.

John McKenzie Jr

I've called DESPP twice and they would not give me the information

Maybe I'll call again tomorrow and tell them I've been informed that there is a 2 month backlog. I'll see what kind of response I get then...

I can't imagine the DESPP is going to call the PD and tell them to issue my permit. The board of permit examiners even said they wouldn't be proactive to move it along and avoid a hearing.

I've got plenty of patience and since my record is clean, my appeal letter is already on the books, it's all good...

I want to remain professional and try not to piss the wrong people off and get an automatic denial... Besides, it took me a week to get the initial appointment to have my prints done and submit my application.

Just hitting up the safe avenues 1st to see if they produce it sooner than later.

motoxmann

I've called DESPP twice and they would not give me the information

Maybe I'll call again tomorrow and tell them I've been informed that there is a 2 month backlog. I'll see what kind of response I get then...

I can't imagine the DESPP is going to call the PD and tell them to issue my permit. The board of permit examiners even said they wouldn't be proactive to move it along and avoid a hearing.

I've got plenty of patience and since my record is clean, my appeal letter is already on the books, it's all good...

I want to remain professional and try not to piss the wrong people off and get an automatic denial... Besides, it took me a week to get the initial appointment to have my prints done and submit my application.

Just hitting up the safe avenues 1st to see if they produce it sooner than later.

DESPP has nothing to do with the PD or the BFPE, they have no say in anything. your sole purpose for calling DESPP is to get the date they sent your background check results back to the PD. keep calling until they give you the information. They have to give you the info, whether they like it or not. sometime you just need to call multiple times until they actually give it to you. If I recall, Jane is usually the one that provides the info readily and politely. everyone else seems to be a jerkoff most times and doesn't do their job.
You can politely tell them if they refuse again that they might as well just look it up and give it to you because you'll keep calling until someone does give it to you.

and the sole purpose for getting that date is so you can throw it in the face of the PD and to provide it to the BFPE for the appeal, and so it goes on record that Seymour PD is BS'ing people and not following the law, and so you can provide it to the first selectman so he knows the PD is lying even to him.

get your date. keep calling until you get it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
His 1st response as follows...

As First Selectman, I don't exercise any power over the gun permit process, but I called over to the Police Dept. to check up on your application. Officer ******* will be in tomorrow so I will try again tomorrow to speak with him and I will get back to you. It is my understanding that there is a backlog in permit applications due to the spike in the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings. I will confirm if this is the case tomorrow.

His followup today...

I spoke to Officer ****** just now and he told me that at this point, the Town is waiting to hear back from the State on the issue. The problem is indeed that there is a backlog of about 2 months on the State end and even the FBI is having trouble keeping up on their end of the process. Also, Lt. ******* was out last week. They assured me that they will be contacting you as soon as they hear back from the State. I hope this helps.

So here's my BIG QUESTION!!! You expect me to believe the state is backlogged about 2 months on permit application background checks??? REALLY??? Is this the biggest load of BS or what?

They can issue out a temp permit w/o doing anything ... and that the guy was out last week (Lt. ??) ... do a foia request and ask for his time sheet ... you'll likely find that this is a lie. Do this and you'll know that the PD has no intention of giving you a permit...

So you can stop wasting your resources and just wait for a BFPE hearing ... and to prepare for such a hearing

Last edited: