• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

5/3 Bank

langzaiguy

Our 5/3 bank here in Georgetown had a "No Weapons" sticker on their front door provided, ironically, by the Georgetown Chamber of Commerce. Last year I emailed corporate about if this decision was made by the bank manager or if it was corporate policy. Their reply follows:

Thank you for choosing Fifth Third Bank. I would be happy to assist you. Fifth Third Bank is very concerned for the welfare of our customers and employees. Sometimes we are unable to completely comply with our customers’ requests as a result of Federal or State Laws. We are required to comply with the letter and spirit of the law. In conjunction with this we invest thousands of dollars annually to protect our Banking Centers, and we partner with the local law enforcement agencies throughout all of our affiliates, to operate in as safe and secure a method as possible.

They seemed to have danced around my question. I probably should have been more diligent about taking my business elsewhere but, nevertheless, I stayed with 5/3 while keeping an eye out for another place to bank. As of recently, however, they have taken down their "No Weapons" sign. I told my banker that I was happy to see it down that I had been looking elsewhere. He said he carried as well and was happy to see it go. He said that recently, an email from corporate went out to all the managers and told them that because of recent legislation, all signs must be taken down immediately. I'm assuming that they thought HB (SB?) 500 applied to them.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Fifth/Third certainly did dance around your question, and the note from corporate shows how clueless they are.

When Ohio got concealed carry the bank posted "no guns" signage on all their Ohio branches. Those who questioned their decision were told that they were posting because of their concern for the safety of their employees and their customers. Of course, they didn't explain why their Florida branches didn't post AT ALL...

Maybe I'll write a note to corporate and ask why they care less about their KY and FL customers and employees than those in Ohio... :uhoh: :uhoh:

self preservation

Our 5/3 bank here in Georgetown had a "No Weapons" sticker on their front door provided, ironically, by the Georgetown Chamber of Commerce. Last year I emailed corporate about if this decision was made by the bank manager or if it was corporate policy. Their reply follows:

Thank you for choosing Fifth Third Bank. I would be happy to assist you. Fifth Third Bank is very concerned for the welfare of our customers and employees. Sometimes we are unable to completely comply with our customers’ requests as a result of Federal or State Laws. We are required to comply with the letter and spirit of the law. In conjunction with this we invest thousands of dollars annually to protect our Banking Centers, and we partner with the local law enforcement agencies throughout all of our affiliates, to operate in as safe and secure a method as possible.

They seemed to have danced around my question. I probably should have been more diligent about taking my business elsewhere but, nevertheless, I stayed with 5/3 while keeping an eye out for another place to bank. As of recently, however, they have taken down their "No Weapons" sign. I told my banker that I was happy to see it down that I had been looking elsewhere. He said he carried as well and was happy to see it go. He said that recently, an email from corporate went out to all the managers and told them that because of recent legislation, all signs must be taken down immediately. I'm assuming that they thought HB (SB?) 500 applied to them.

Don't tell them any different. :)

langzaiguy

I'm under the assumption that there wasn't a corporate policy either way. The sticker was provided by the Georgetown Chamber of Commerce, not from 5/3 Corporate. I think the sign went up with just as much ignorance as it went down. I should have spoken with the branch manager before, but I didn't--had other priorities. If the sign goes back up, we'll just take it from there.

mem1977

I live in a small town and use a small country bank. I've never had a problem with mine. BIG corporate banks want your money and to hell with you. Thank God for my bank. Friendly service and they treat you well.