Thread: House lead on gun legislation, Rep. Diana DeGette (D CO) does not know how they work.

House lead on gun legislation, Rep. Diana DeGette (D CO) does not know how they work.

Asked how a ban on magazines holding more than 15 rounds would be effective in reducing gun violence, DeGette said:

“I will tell you these are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those now they’re going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available.”
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/...ey-work/93506/

Yea, and the GOP rebut was on the mark (from the link you provided):

The Colorado GOP responded, too, on Wednesday.
    “It’s extremely alarming that Rep. DeGette is running federal legislation to ban magazine clips, when she doesn’t even know what a magazine clip is,” said spokesman Owen Loftus. “Rep. DeGette’s comments show that Democrats are more concerned with appeasing their radical base, than standing up for responsible, law abiding citizens.”
    Magazine Clips, huh, Owen Loftus?

Rep. DeGette:

“I will tell you these are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those now they’re going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available.”
    Aside from what initially caused me to suspect she was having some sort of diabetic emergency...she did nail the terminology correctly.

Thanks for the wonderful example of both sides not fully grasping what the hell their talking about.

Let's not quibble over the details
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 04-03-2013 at 03:03 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Banned
    Yeah, there are people who pedantically correct anyone who says "clip" when they should say "magazine," but real people, as much as it drives me nuts, say "clip." I sell more "clips" than I do "magazines," because that is what real people say. I always say "magazine" (except when referring to the clips I purchased to help me load my magazines), but I don't go all I-am-better-than-you on the majority of folks who say "clip."

There is a world of difference between using a technically incorrect term and not knowing the function and interrelationship between magazines and ammunition.

Generally speaking, most anti-gunners are woefully inadequate in their knowledge of firearms and their function. Pro-RKBAers, while imperfect in their knowledge (who isn't?), at least have a fundamental understanding of firearms.

Lol..does she think that these "high capacity magazines" come from factory loaded, and once shot they no longer work?

Edit: I try to educate those who reference magazines as clips whenever I get the chance. We have enough problem with people in the government calling items something they are not in an effort to ban those items, such as the term "assault weapon". If the gun community can't even get the terminology correct, how can we expect those who are gun illiterate to get it right? Like the barrel shroud incident where she said she didn't even know what it was, but she thinks it's the "shoulder thing that goes up" whatever in the world that could be.
    Last edited by ADobbs1989; 04-03-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ADobbs1989 View Post
    Lol..does she think that these "high capacity magazines" come from factory loaded, and once shot they no longer work?
    It would appear so. Like you buy a 15 round mag that is pre-loaded and then throw it away when it is empty. According to reports, she also appeared to mock a senior citizen interested in defending himself.

Banned
    I dunno. Pre-loaded, disposable magazines? Kinda fits in with current American culture. She may be onto something.

Magpul? Winchester? You guys on this?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ADobbs1989 View Post
    +1 Bingo ... now you are thinking like a democrat

FROM THE STORY:
    DeGette’s spokeswoman Juliet Johnson issued a statement Wednesday, saying the congresswoman mispoke.

“The Congresswoman has been working on a high-capacity assault magazine ban for years, and has been deeply involved in the issue; she simply misspoke in referring to ‘magazines’ when she should have referred to ‘clips,’ which cannot be reused because they don’t have a feeding mechanism,” Johnson said.
    Ummmmmm correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not) but I do believe most clips are also reusuable. Stripper clips, En Bloc clips, moon clips, etc.

When you find your self in a hole.....PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

House lead on gun legislation, Rep. Diana DeGette (D CO) does not know how th...

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I dunno. Pre-loaded, disposable magazines? Kinda fits in with current American culture. She may be onto something.

Magpul? Winchester? You guys on this?
    You mean you can reuse those plasticky Magpuls? Wth!

Banned

House lead on gun legislation, Rep. Diana DeGette (D CO) does not know how they

No, they are not reusable. Mail them to me, and I will properly dispose of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by eye95; 04-05-2013 at 05:12 PM.

No, they are not reusable. Mail them to me, and I will properly dispose of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    Given the size difference between magazine clips and actual guns in the streets, I would prefer that you properly dispose of the guns first. Every time I run over one it seems I get another ding in my rocker panels.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Speaking of ignorant or intentionally deceptive statements from an anti-gun zealot.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...urora-Shooting

House lead on gun legislation, Rep. Diana DeGette (D CO) does not know how th...

As they call it, a Mexican reload - throw down one gun and just draw another. Of course down here, there's a mexicanism for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    As they call it, a Mexican reload - throw down one gun and just draw another. Of course down here, there's a mexicanism for everything.
    When your carry weapon is an $1100 pistol, it's hard to do a Mexican reload......it's like there is glue on that sucker.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Given the size difference between magazine clips and actual guns in the streets, I would prefer that you properly dispose of the guns first. Every time I run over one it seems I get another ding in my rocker panels.
    LOL! stupid guns and mags running around in the streets by themselves killing people. and politicians want to give guns artificial intelligence (gps+) so they can be tracked. psh
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com