• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Department Actively Delaying CPL Applications?

bobzilla05

I went in to LESA in Tacoma on 3/13 for my renewal. Would a friendly call asking on the status do anything to expedite? If it's just sitting there, can I go pick it up? If I carry my receipt from LESA with my expired CPL, am I legal? I'm thinking not, but I think I should be.

A friendly call would do nothing to expedite. My call only resulted in them telling me to just wait. Going in and asking for it would also result in them telling you to wait, as they are not required by law to provide you with it upon your asking, so long as they are within their thirty day margin.
You can try, by all means. More power to you if you do and succeed, but the likelihood is low.

bmg50cal

There is a "nice lady" :rolleyes: in the Island County sheriff's office who gets real pissy if you walk in and ask about why it has taken more than 30 days. She spews all kinds of lovelyness and grace when you mention the RCW. :p

New Daddy

I renewed, the clerk here (who is generally a pretty good guy) said that they used to get them out in a week (my last one took 5 working days) but that with the "new" system of running them through mental health they were taking the full the 30 days. He said the delay was because Mental Health takes their time. I got mine on the 29th day. My wife got hers on day 26.

amlevin

I don't think most people are going to use a writ because it is going to cost them more money.

Not to mention the fact that in order to petition for a writ you have to be the injured party. So you go to the trouble and expense of getting the writ. The agency just issues your CPL immediately and then resumes the "stall". If I'm not mistaken, the next "injured party" has to obtain their own writ, and so on and so forth. I believe the only way to stop that would be for a Judge to issue an injunction against the practice and then hold the officials in contempt if they continue.

For the REAL lawyers here, what are your thoughts?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
so I talked to a lawyer today about this issue. To bring about the change, we need everyone who was delayed more than 30 days (across the state) to come forward and we start a case.

Sharpender

I went in to LESA in Tacoma on 3/13 for my renewal. Would a friendly call asking on the status do anything to expedite? If it's just sitting there, can I go pick it up? If I carry my receipt from LESA with my expired CPL, am I legal? I'm thinking not, but I think I should be.

Just got my CPL in the mail today. 24 days.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

XDNick9

Yes this is normal practice in some jurisdictions. I believe that Spokane is actually backed up so bad right now that they've been taking 80 or 90 days. Not sure what recourse those that have been delayed will have but if the county gets away with it I wonder if more places will start breaking the law since they know nothing will come of it.

On the other hand there are a few places like kitsap county that will sometimes hand you your permit before you walk out the door.

I got my CPL from Kitsap County Sheriff's Office and it took 3 weeks exactly to process and receive mine. The Bremerton PD and Sheriff's office had stated that they were literally backed up on CPL applications so I dont think they will just "hand" it to you before you walk out the door.

Trigger Dr

When the CPL was a CWP ( 1977-1979 IIRC) the RCW provided a legal penalty against the issuing agency. Maybe time to revisit.

bobzilla05

When the CPL was a CWP ( 1977-1979 IIRC) the RCW provided a legal penalty against the issuing agency. Maybe time to revisit.

How I see it, and how it is written into the RCWs, within the 30 days is a privilege, but 30+ is a lawful right for you to have that CPL. Any agency that refuses to issue on or after the thirtieth day is in direct violation of state law and should be held accountable.

Dave Workman

I would almost guarantee that the delays are not because they are "sitting on them", it has a lot to do with the amount of Cpl applications that have been submitted since 14 December. Some other agencies in the tri-cities are actually using trained volunteers to do the fingerprinting portion.

Sent by Droid

Likely close to the facts!
The applications for CPLs have been at record levels.

Thor80

While others are having issues around the State, my renewal in Yakima took a whopping 15-20 minutes....

My renewal in Spokane only took like 10-20 minutes, but my buddy that went with me was told it would be 60-90 days for his "new application" CPL.....

-Thor

badkarma

I know for a fact they hold them at my local PD because they don't have any incentive to do anything fast. They get the BC back quick but they don't get paid more or improved performance review if they get them out early. It would be counter productive because then Everyone would expect it when they are really busy.

To be clear. My BC was not done by the issuing agency so I expected it to take a week or 2 but I found out they received the confirmation in a week. Since they consider this a "Service" that the *MUST* do there is nothing positive that can happen by them sending it early. It came down to a mandatory delay so they don't set the expectation that it will happen sooner every time especially when they are really busy.

509rifas

so I talked to a lawyer today about this issue. To bring about the change, we need everyone who was delayed more than 30 days (across the state) to come forward and we start a case.

I don't think we need to, UNLESS, it was within the statutory time period to sue for damages, which is in three year at most from my understanding.

We CAN, however, create a template for a petition for a Writ of Mandamus for failure to issue a CPL within 30 days.

RCW 9.41.0975:
" (2) An application may be made to a court of competent jurisdiction for a writ of mandamus:

(a) Directing an issuing agency to issue a concealed pistol license or alien firearm license wrongfully refused;"

I actually looked up other writs of mandamus when I was denied and was in the process of cutting and pasting on the relevant sections when I was issue mine. I still have it somewhere. I can create a .doc document where someone can insert the relevant information in regards to an unlawful denial that they can submit to a superior court the morning of day 31.

bobzilla05

-SNIP-
I actually looked up other writs of mandamus when I was denied and was in the process of cutting and pasting on the relevant sections when I was issue mine. I still have it somewhere. I can create a .doc document where someone can insert the relevant information in regards to an unlawful denial that they can submit to a superior court the morning of day 31.

That would be extremely helpful for those unfortunate enough to be in the jurisdictions that are illegally delaying past the thirty days. Thank you.

Last edited: