• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do some conservatives ridicule domestic handouts but advocate foreign handouts?

minarchist

If you mean the Two Party system we have, is a form of riggery...I suppose we can agree on that. We are basically left with two options, a different side of the same coin.

Indeed.

I didn't state it was "improper," I encouraged you to be careful. There is a forum rule regarding altering posts.

I didn't say that you stated that it is improper, rather, that you indicated that it is improper.

Beretta92FSLady

Indeed.

I didn't say that you stated that it is improper, rather, that you indicated that it is improper.

Good grief, are we really going to quibble over something I merely encouraged you to be careful of?

I did not indicate that it's improper. I simply encouraged you to be careful when inserting things into the posts you respond to. It's not rocket science here.

minarchist

Humans share a common ancestor, we didn't come from monkeys. There is already enough of this misinformation in anti-evolution circles (including many members here) please don't fuel the fire of ignorance.

Of course we are not descended from present-day monkeys (that would be impossible), but the most recent common ancestor of present-day monkeys and humans was undoubtedly, taxonomically, a monkey. Some taxonomists actually follow the convention wherein a species inherits every label of the nested hierarchy that it finds itself in. Therefore, according to this taxanomic inheritance view, we are monkeys, as well as lobe-finned fish (of course, we are not functionally fish, but taxomonically, we can indeed be considered to be lobe-finned fish who live on land and walk upright), etc. In other words, all descendants of something that is an X, are also Xes (bear in mind that they can simultaneously be other things as well). Confusion of the sort that you are addressing here arises when categories (such as "ape" and "monkey") are created that include only some of the descendants of the common ancestor and arbitraily exclude other descendants (e.g., it makes no sense to take the Family Hominidae-the Great Apes-and arbitrarily state that all member species are apes EXCEPT for humans, rather, all member species of this family should simply be called apes). This explains the taxonomic school of thought that I have outlined here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igq_niFmXNs

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

Obama's big government policies don't get Bush I and II off the hook for their hundreds of billions of dollars of welfare for foreign citizens.

Thats true but the OP was asking why conservatives do something when it obvious that both liberals and conservatives do it.

minarchist

Thats true but the OP was asking why conservatives do something when it obvious that both liberals and conservatives do it.

The problem is that Obama was elected twice in large part due to Dumbya's numerous, massive, big government fukups. If the Republican party was solidly libertarian, this mess could be avoided, because the people would have a clear choice between liberty and anti-liberty. As it stands, their choices are anti-liberty and somewhat less anti-liberty.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

The problem is that Obama was elected twice in large part due to Dumbya's numerous, massive, big government fukups. If the Republican party was solidly libertarian, this mess could be avoided, because the people would have a clear choice between liberty and anti-liberty. As it stands, their choices are anti-liberty and somewhat less anti-liberty.

Nope. President Obama was reelected because Romney was on the ticket, and there is a social tide shift that Republicans are having a bit of trouble shifting with...one example: Illegal Immigrants, and what to do with them.

Libertarian is not necessarily pro-Liberty.

eye95

Why do some conservatives ridicule domestic handouts but advocate foreign hando

Extra-special evolution has never been demonstrated. Intra-special evolution is a well-established fact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

OC for ME

<snip> Libertarian is not necessarily pro-Liberty.
Liberal claptrap.

I'm no fan of the Libertarian party but they are pro-liberty and pro-citizen, unlike you. If they would just read their own Platform they would see, hopefully, where they advocate for government to intrude into the personal affairs of the citizenry.

I think the the LP is not as liberty-centric as I think they could be. Also, their platform is a wee bit wordy.

http://www.lp.org/platform

Overall I give the LP a B+ on being liberty centric.

Lurchiron

What would happen if I refused to pay federal taxes?

[Bubba gets to play hide the bishop between your b*tt ch**ks...
View attachment 10207 Any other stupid Q's??? ]

Indeed, REAL defense is constitutional. The overwhelming majority of what the military does today has absolutely nothing to do with defending this country, but rather with being the global cop.

Ahh Comrade...you really told them God fearing capitalists' didn't you???
View attachment 10208 Say high to Bubba for me :cool:

Last edited:

minarchist

Nope. President Obama was reelected because Romney was on the ticket, and there is a social tide shift that Republicans are having a bit of trouble shifting with

Romney sucks too. In a sane world, Gary Johnson would have won.

one example: Illegal Immigrants, and what to do with them.

According to the rule of law, they should be removed. Border defense is one of the few legitimate purposes of a central government, and ironically, they fail to do that, while doing a lot of things that they should not do.

Libertarian is not necessarily pro-Liberty.

It is almost always more pro-liberty than the alternatives.

minarchist

Ahh Comrade...you really told them God fearing capitalists' didn't you???
View attachment 10208 Say high to Bubba for me :cool:

Are you on drugs? Your post makes absolutely no sense. The only message that is discernable is that you are some sort of big government neocon who has the audacity to accuse a small government person (that would be me) of being a Communist (which is a big government, imperialistic sort of thing that applies much more to you). You just shattered irony meters from coast to coast with this moronic post.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
In Orwellian fashion, these individuals trumpet the need to mercilessly tax citizens for the sake of "defense". In the context of our constitutiuonal republic, the word "defense" clearly means something along the lines of "repel a PLA amphibious assault on the Oregon coast". In this context, the word "defense" clearly does not mean "waste hundreds of billions of dollars invading inconsequential third world countries and engaging in protracted counter-insurgency efforts", nor does it mean "statioin tens of thousands of personnel in other countries".

Seriously, WTF?!? How are the ~ 30,000 U.S. troops in South Korea "defending" me? Why the fck should I be brutally taxed so that taxpayers in other countries, such as Israel, South Korea, and Japan, barely have to lift a finger to defend their respective countries? I am sick of Pax Americana, and I am sick of seeing people who claim to be for small government engaging in ignoble, bullying behavior against true believers in small government who demand that this country's military stick to true defense. These neocons love big government and are enemies of liberty. As such, they are liberal lite (at best). Their nominal support of the RKBA does not redeem them.

Right now, even more of my money is being spent defending a rich, first world country that is easily capable of defending itself (and we still have to pay full price for Samsung and LG products), but I have no doubt that someone will soon accuse me of hating this country for not wanting its citizens' money wasted. :banghead:

P.S. There is nothing wrong with ridiculing domestic handouts, but it is inconsistent in the extreme to do this while supporting handouts for the citizens of other countries.

+1 to all points.

And I think "brutally taxed" is euphemistically pleasant compared to the real state of affairs. A mild understatement to be sure.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Yup.

Now, I do know plenty of genuinely illiberal/statist folks. But I also know a number of people who do, basically, believe in liberty, but view voting for a "lesser of two evils" as the appropriate strategic choice.

This may rankle some of the more partisan on the forum, but roughly 50% of those basically pro-liberty people have concluded, for their own reasons, that the GOP is the greater threat to liberty, and accordingly vote democrat.

It appeals to the basic human tendency to form groups and dislike outsiders to frame things in a way such that the democrats are exclusively the bad guys, but I long ago decided that any preference for the GOP over the democratic party is a minor and quite arbitrary value prioritization – that only a slight adjustment of values would lead to the opposite outcome.

I'm not going to waste good electrons saying good things about the democratic party, but I will say why it's a perfectly reasonably judgement to conclude that the GOP is a threat to liberty which must be opposed:

On this forum, the GOP tends to win, as it is generally more pro-gun than the democratic party. But on essentially every other major area of liberty, the GOP is horrendous. I can – almost – see why folks who don't prioritize guns as highly as we do might decide to vote democratic. Objectively (not by comparison), the GOP is horrendous on medical freedom (I'm not even talking about abortion but you can include that if you like), prohibition, self-defense laws (especially for anyone who violates any number of immoral laws), taxation and resulting handouts/subsidies to the undeserving, sexual freedom, and religious freedom (there is no right side when two sides try to force government to adopt their definition of religious concepts for the entire nation).

And the whole overseas interventionism thing, which the GOP really forced down our throats more than any other entity, is corrosive to liberty in a variety of subtle and not-so-subtle ways: war encourages nationalism at the expense of necessary, proper and normal distrust of government, leads to taxes to pay for fancy weapons and toys, civil liberties discarded in the name of "fighting the enemy", etc etc etc.

I really do believe that the two parties are playing the American people for the purpose of fleecing us for as much as possible (rights and profits), utilizing precisely this mechanism cooperatively. I really do believe that if the libertarian party (or another third party with a broad-based pro-liberty appeal) "could" win, they would win.

Praising the GOP because they might be slightly better is missing the point: the GOP knowingly and intentionally allows the democratic party its turn at bat, for the purpose of rekindling partisan furor, to preserve the lesser-of-two-evils logic which drives their ability to win any elections at all. And the democratic party does the same in reverse. They do this by doing precisely whatever they want in practice, but by maintaining their precious rhetoric at election time.

Last edited:

minarchist

Yup.

Now, I do know plenty of genuinely illiberal/statist folks. But I also know a number of people who do, basically, believe in liberty, but view voting for a "lesser of two evils" as the appropriate strategic choice.

This may rankle some of the more partisan on the forum, but roughly 50% of those basically pro-liberty people have concluded, for their own reasons, that the GOP is the greater threat to liberty, and accordingly vote democrat.

It appeals to the basic human tendency to form groups and dislike outsiders to frame things in a way such that the democrats are exclusively the bad guys, but I long ago decided that any preference for the GOP over the democratic party is a minor and quite arbitrary value prioritization – that only a slight adjustment of values would lead to the opposite outcome.

I'm not going to waste good electrons saying good things about the democratic party, but I will say why it's a perfectly reasonably judgement to conclude that the GOP is a threat to liberty which must be opposed:

On this forum, the GOP tends to win, as it is generally more pro-gun than the democratic party. But on essentially every other major area of liberty, the GOP is horrendous. I can – almost – see why folks who don't prioritize guns as highly as we do might decide to vote democratic. Objectively (not by comparison), the GOP is horrendous on medical freedom (I'm not even talking about abortion but you can include that if you like), prohibition, self-defense laws (especially for anyone who violates any number of immoral laws), taxation and resulting handouts/subsidies to the undeserving, sexual freedom, and religious freedom (there is no right side when two sides try to force government to adopt their definition of religious concepts for the entire nation).

And the whole overseas interventionism thing, which the GOP really forced down our throats more than any other entity, is corrosive to liberty in a variety of subtle and not-so-subtle ways: war encourages nationalism at the expense of necessary, proper and normal distrust of government, leads to taxes to pay for fancy weapons and toys, civil liberties discarded in the name of "fighting the enemy", etc etc etc.

I really do believe that the two parties are playing the American people for the purpose of fleecing us for as much as possible (rights and profits), utilizing precisely this mechanism cooperatively. I really do believe that if the libertarian party (or another third party with a broad-based pro-liberty appeal) "could" win, they would win.

Praising the GOP because they might be slightly better is missing the point: the GOP knowingly and intentionally allows the democratic party its turn at bat, for the purpose of rekindling partisan furor, to preserve the lesser-of-two-evils logic which drives their ability to win any elections at all. And the democratic party does the same in reverse. They do this by doing precisely whatever they want in practice, but by maintaining their precious rhetoric at election time.

I like this post, but I should state that Democrats are a threat to liberty in areas other than the RKBA. First, many Democrats have adopted a lot of neocon ideology (indefinite wars, the Patriot Act, etc.). Second, the progressive wing of the Democrat party, with their obsession with political correctness and censoring politically incorrect people, is extremely anti-free speech. Third, it goes without saying that in the area of economics, Democrats are very anti-liberty.

So the meme that Republicans are generally anti-liberty and Democrats generally pro-liberty, except in the area of gun rights, where these roles are reversed, isn't really accurate at all (not that you were necessarily promoting this meme).

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I like this post, but I should state that Democrats are a threat to liberty in areas other than the RKBA. First, many Democrats have adopted a lot of neocon ideology (indefinite wars, the Patriot Act, etc.). Second, the progressive wing of the Democrat party, with their obsession with political correctness and censoring politically incorrect people, is extremely anti-free speech. Third, it goes without saying that in the area of economics, Democrats are very anti-liberty.

So the meme that Republicans are generally anti-liberty and Democrats generally pro-liberty, except in the area of gun rights, where these roles are reversed, isn't really accurate at all (not that you were necessarily promoting this meme).

No, I agree with you completely here. My intent wasn't to advance that meme, only to point out that many democrats do espouse it, the same way many republicans do the same for themselves and their party. I mean, sure, there are the Dianne Feinstein types, whom you can reasonably imagine literally hunched over, lurking in a shadow somewhere plotting some or other act of unconscionable evil, but that's not the average Joe.

My point is that many on both sides are duped into voting for something they don't really want, and that these folks might actually find more commonality in the context of something like a third party than one might at first imagine.

sudden valley gunner

I won't vote the lesser of two Evils in the form of the major two parties.....Germans several decades were mislead into thinking they had to vote for the only ones to have a chance and they chose the lesser of two evils.....yep that worked out great for them.

Ludwig Von Mises- Omnipotent Government written in the late '40's you'd think you were reading about U.S. today.....