• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do some conservatives ridicule domestic handouts but advocate foreign handouts?

minarchist

In Orwellian fashion, these individuals trumpet the need to mercilessly tax citizens for the sake of "defense". In the context of our constitutiuonal republic, the word "defense" clearly means something along the lines of "repel a PLA amphibious assault on the Oregon coast". In this context, the word "defense" clearly does not mean "waste hundreds of billions of dollars invading inconsequential third world countries and engaging in protracted counter-insurgency efforts", nor does it mean "statioin tens of thousands of personnel in other countries".

Seriously, WTF?!? How are the ~ 30,000 U.S. troops in South Korea "defending" me? Why the fck should I be brutally taxed so that taxpayers in other countries, such as Israel, South Korea, and Japan, barely have to lift a finger to defend their respective countries? I am sick of Pax Americana, and I am sick of seeing people who claim to be for small government engaging in ignoble, bullying behavior against true believers in small government who demand that this country's military stick to true defense. These neocons love big government and are enemies of liberty. As such, they are liberal lite (at best). Their nominal support of the RKBA does not redeem them.

Right now, even more of my money is being spent defending a rich, first world country that is easily capable of defending itself (and we still have to pay full price for Samsung and LG products), but I have no doubt that someone will soon accuse me of hating this country for not wanting its citizens' money wasted. :banghead:

P.S. There is nothing wrong with ridiculing domestic handouts, but it is inconsistent in the extreme to do this while supporting handouts for the citizens of other countries.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Brutally Taxed...calm down there buddy.

I agree, though.

I know what some Conservative would respond with: Taxation for National defense is in the Constitution; EBT cards aren't.

Beretta92FSLady

"Conservatives"? Only The Constitution Party represents the conservative Country Class against the progressive Ruling Class, the libertarian, democrat and republican parties. Conservatism is a three-legged stool, sturdy and stable. Remove any leg, fiscal conservatism, social conservatism and conservative foreign policy and it's just a stool walking, a **** with two legs. Read Angelo Codevilla's essay, America's Ruling Class - And the Perils of Revolution (TAS JULY 2010)

http://spectator.org/archives/2010/07/16/americas-ruling-class-and-the/print

Good grief, this isn't a pizzing contest...or is it?

Republicans, and Libertarians, tend to lean Conservative; the latter, most definitely.

The Constitution Party is nothing more than a Republican hybrid; along the same lines of the Tea Party 2.0.

Last edited:

minarchist

Brutally Taxed...calm down there buddy.

What would happen if I refused to pay federal taxes?

I know what some Conservative would respond with: Taxation for National defense is in the Constitution;

Indeed, REAL defense is constitutional. The overwhelming majority of what the military does today has absolutely nothing to do with defending this country, but rather with being the global cop.

Beretta92FSLady

What would happen if I refused to pay federal taxes?

Indeed, REAL defense is constitutional. The overwhelming majority of what the military does today has absolutely nothing to do with defending this country, but rather with being the global cop.

Not sure...depends on how much you owe.

As opposed to FAKE defense? The Government, legitimized by your voting, and taxes, is a potent Imperialist State; you, me, all of us, bestow the Government it's Power.

minarchist

Not sure...depends on how much you owe.

It would be forcefully taken in some manner.

As opposed to FAKE defense?

Yes, as opposed to fake defense.

The Government, legitimized by your voting, and taxes, is a potent Imperialist State; you, me, all of us, bestow the Government it's [sic] Power.

I have not legitimized anything.

Beretta92FSLady

It would be forcefully taken in some manner.

Yes, as opposed to fake defense.

I have not legitimized anything.

Not necessarily. Sometimes, if you owe just a bit of taxes, it's garnished from your check, or you aren't given all of your money at the end of the tax season, with a tax return.

Now, this is going to require your complete honesty: Have you voted? Have you paid any taxes? Have you purchased fuel for your vehicle?

Careful with altering other peoples posts. It may be interpreted that I place the [sic] in your quote of me, which I didn't. I got in trouble a couple of year ago for this.

Last edited:

minarchist

Not necessarily. Sometimes, if you owe just a bit of taxes, it's garnished from your check, or you aren't given all of your money at the end of the tax season, with a tax return.

That constitutes forceful taking.

Now, this is going to require your complete honesty: Have you voted? Have you paid any taxes? Have you purchased fuel for your vehicle?

My answer to all three questions is "yes", though that does not constitute me legitimizing anything.

Careful with altering other peoples posts. It may be interpreted that I place the [sic] in your quote of me, which I didn't. I got in trouble a couple of year ago for this.

The use of brackets is widely understood to signify an addition to the original text.

Beretta92FSLady

That constitutes forceful taking.

I'll make you a deal, I'll give you that assertion. Hardly "brutal" as you stated in the post that I originally responded to concerning this matter.

My answer to all three questions is "yes", though that does not constitute me legitimizing anything.

The use of brackets is widely understood to signify an addition to the original text.

"..., though..." but...but...but, this is why..."...that does not constitute me legitimizing anything." Yes, it does, and your attempt at padding over it doesn't bode well for your denial of giving legitimacy to Government by your own actions.

Yes, it is widely understood. I'm not asking you to remove it, just letting you know it can be met with a request by the moderator for you to remove.

minarchist

I'll make you a deal, I'll give you that assertion. Hardly "brutal" as you stated in the post that I originally responded to concerning this matter.

The rate is excessive.

"..., though..." but...but...but, this is why..."...that does not constitute me legitimizing anything."

First you complained about me allegedly falsely attributing "[sic]" to you (I did not, by the way), and now you are falsely attributing these words to me.

Yes, it does, and your attempt at padding over it doesn't bode well for your denial of giving legitimacy to Government by your own actions.

By your "logic", a slave's failure to commit suicide legitimizes his enslavement.

Yes, it is widely understood. I'm not asking you to remove it, just letting you know it can be met with a request by the moderator for you to remove.

You used improper grammar.

Beretta92FSLady

The rate is excessive.

First you complained about me allegedly falsely attributing "[sic]" to you (I did not, by the way), and now you are falsely attributing these words to me.

By your "logic", a slave's failure to commit suicide legitimizes his enslavement.

You used improper grammar.

You can believe it's excessive, and it may well be, for you. Vote for someone that supports taxes that aren't excessive.

I didn't falsely accuse you of anything. You, in fact, added [sic] to my post. I didn't state you called me "[sic]."

No, by my logic, a slave that does not attempt to escape slavery is in fact legitimizing his enslavement.

I don't concern myself with grammar...and neither should you; that sort of response is a wasted effort, IMO. We are engaged in a dialogue, not a grammar contest. Funny you bring up grammar. Seriously, I was talking to my fifteen year old daughter last night about accusing someone of not using proper grammar during a discussion. I told her it's the action of a desperate person. There are substantive things to focus your efforts at.

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

In Orwellian fashion, these individuals trumpet the need to mercilessly tax citizens for the sake of "defense". In the context of our constitutiuonal republic, the word "defense" clearly means something along the lines of "repel a PLA amphibious assault on the Oregon coast". In this context, the word "defense" clearly does not mean "waste hundreds of billions of dollars invading inconsequential third world countries and engaging in protracted counter-insurgency efforts", nor does it mean "statioin tens of thousands of personnel in other countries".

Seriously, WTF?!? How are the ~ 30,000 U.S. troops in South Korea "defending" me? Why the fck should I be brutally taxed so that taxpayers in other countries, such as Israel, South Korea, and Japan, barely have to lift a finger to defend their respective countries? I am sick of Pax Americana, and I am sick of seeing people who claim to be for small government engaging in ignoble, bullying behavior against true believers in small government who demand that this country's military stick to true defense. These neocons love big government and are enemies of liberty. As such, they are liberal lite (at best). Their nominal support of the RKBA does not redeem them.

Right now, even more of my money is being spent defending a rich, first world country that is easily capable of defending itself (and we still have to pay full price for Samsung and LG products), but I have no doubt that someone will soon accuse me of hating this country for not wanting its citizens' money wasted. :banghead:

P.S. There is nothing wrong with ridiculing domestic handouts, but it is inconsistent in the extreme to do this while supporting handouts for the citizens of other countries.

I think Obama is a liberal and I think he is president. Ask him (not conservatives) why America is raising taxes and giving foreign handouts to moooslum terrorists like Morsi, Pakistan, Syria and others.

minarchist

You can believe it's excessive, and it may well be, for you. Vote for someone that supports taxes that aren't excessive.

The system is rigged. Ron Paul was cheated in several states.

I didn't falsely accuse you of anything. You, in fact, added [sic] to my post. I didn't state you called me "[sic]."

I didn't state that you stated that I called you "[sic]". I did state that you indicated that it is improper to place "[sic]" in your quote.

No, by my logic, a slave that does not attempt to escape slavery is in fact legitimizing his enslavement.

Historically, much of the time, suicide was the only escape from enslavement.

I don't concern myself with grammar...and neither should you; that sort of response is a wasted effort, IMO. We are engaged in a dialogue, not a grammar contest. Funny you bring up grammar. Seriously, I was talking to my fifteen year old daughter last night about accusing someone of not using proper grammar during a discussion. I told her it's the action of a desperate person. There are substantive things to focus your efforts at.

A common set of rules facilitates effevtive communication.

minarchist

I think Obama is a liberal and I think he is president. Ask him (not conservatives) why America is raising taxes and giving foreign handouts to moooslum terrorists like Morsi, Pakistan, Syria and others.

Obama's big government policies don't get Bush I and II off the hook for their hundreds of billions of dollars of welfare for foreign citizens.

eye95

...The use of brackets is widely understood to signify an addition to the original text.

That is true. "[sic]" within a quotation actually indicates that the quotation is unchanged--even though it contains a grammatical or spelling error. For someone to imply you did anything wrong by adding this to a quotation is blatantly dishonest.

Beretta92FSLady

The system is rigged. Ron Paul was cheated in several states.

If you mean the Two Party system we have, is a form of riggery...I suppose we can agree on that. We are basically left with two options, a different side of the same coin.

I didn't state that you stated that I called you "[sic]". I did state that you indicated that it is improper to place "[sic]" in your quote.

Historically, much of the time, suicide was the only escape from enslavement.

A common set of rules facilitates effevtive communication.

I didn't state it was "improper," I encouraged you to be careful. There is a forum rule regarding altering posts.

Historically, you, and I's ancestor's came from monkeys. Suicide was not the only escape.

Yes, a common set of rules facilitates effective communication. But, by the grace of your response, my improper grammar was redeemed, as you understood what I had stated; your post is a verification of effective communication between the two of us.

Beretta92FSLady

That is true. "[sic]" within a quotation actually indicates that the quotation is unchanged--even though it contains a grammatical or spelling error. For someone to imply you did anything wrong by adding this to a quotation is blatantly dishonest.

No person implied, or directly stated they did something wrong.

Beretta92FSLady

Square brackets contain an edit. Sic is short for sic erat scriptum, 'as it is written.'

In the case of the inclusion of it in my post, it was meant to state "sick Government."

I'm not stating the placement is bad...just that they need to be careful inserting words into posts that aren't theirs. In the case of it being placed in my post, there was no edit, just the inclusion of [sic].

Last edited:

ADobbs1989

Historically, you, and I's ancestor's came from monkeys. Suicide was not the only escape.

Humans share a common ancestor, we didn't come from monkeys. There is already enough of this misinformation in anti-evolution circles (including many members here) please don't fuel the fire of ignorance.