Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Gun Range requiring qualification prior to shooting...

  1. #1
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463

    Gun Range requiring qualification prior to shooting...

    Today I went with Nick to Kittitas Trading Company which has the only indoor range with in 30 miles of here and something new, we were required to qualify before being let loose to shoot on the range. Reasoning we were told was behind it as to the destruction of range equipment that believed occurred to shooter being unable to hit their targets!

    With an increase of new shooters, I think it really was not a bad idea.

    I shot expert with unlimited range access :bannna:
    Last edited by BigDave; 04-04-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  2. #2
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Not new here where I shoot.

    They have required "qualification" for years. Those who do not pass the qualification are required to shoot only when under the supervision of a Range Master. Those that do get to shoot during any daylight hours and get a key to the gate. May not be "indoors" but at least the range is enclosed on three sides shielding everyone from wind, rain, etc.

    I used to shoot a lot at Sams in So Everett and it was amazing how much damage the beginners (or show-off's) did to the equipment. Some couldn't hit the paper at 20 feet but could always manage to hit the target holders and lights that were concealed behind armor plate. Go figure.


    (BTW, some of the worst offenders were LEO's who went there to practice)
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  3. #3
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    The range feel the damage is a result of rapid fire of those in experienced and personally I feel a certain amount being intentional .
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  4. #4
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Sounds reasonable. Is the customer required to compensate the business for damages if, after qualification, damage occurs?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  5. #5
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    The range in E-Burg has a list of charges for types of damage which you sign as a condition of use, so in this case, yes.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bothell
    Posts
    586
    I've often thought about this when going shooting. How many out there treat a range like a bowling alley? Luckily I haven't seen much in the way of irresponsible behavior. Guess I should go more.

  7. #7
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    The range in E-Burg has a list of charges for types of damage which you sign as a condition of use, so in this case, yes.
    But if you've ever worked in or around a range you'll realize how it's nearly impossible to collect unless the RSO actually witnesses the damage when it occured.

    All to many public ranges have just one person watching over the place, taking money from customers and every once in a while looking at the video monitor (if any).

    What do you do if someone purposely shoots a target holder, you demand payment for the damage and then he/she just says "F-U", packs and leaves. Want to spend half of your working career in small claims court?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  8. #8
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    no doubt that the burden of proof will be the ranges responsibility or simply no longer to give access.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  9. #9
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    I don't like ranges because of unsafe behavior. Much prefer the country and good backstops. One of the reasons I use a airsoft for point shooting practice, cheap, and safe. A lot of ranges do not allow quick draw shooting to prevent accidents, I can certainly see why a range would require a qualification and maybe even a test before allowing shooters. After all it is their hide if someone gets shot.

    And yes LE and LE wannabe are some of the biggest offenders. That is why police ranges have safety officers on the line, or they should if they don't.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ritzville, Washington, United States
    Posts
    7

    Quals

    So if I go to the range, do their qualification, to me that is a good range day, I then can leave, do you have to pay for the qualification? If not, again a good range day. LOL.

    I don't blame them for the requirement, I am a firearms instructor and I am amazed at the "professionals" who cannot shoot.

    "and no I don't post much" mainly a lurker.

  11. #11
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgDavo View Post
    So if I go to the range, do their qualification, to me that is a good range day, I then can leave, do you have to pay for the qualification? If not, again a good range day. LOL.

    I don't blame them for the requirement, I am a firearms instructor and I am amazed at the "professionals" who cannot shoot.

    "and no I don't post much" mainly a lurker.
    At the Kittitas Trading Company the testing is just a one time cost of their target of a whopping $2.00 and range fees of $15.00, not bad at all.

    I have seen a few unsafe handling practices before at other ranges that do not require any demonstration of safety and handling practices of firearms, though I have seen more violations in country or wilderness areas.

    There has always been an issue with some that translate shooting firearms proficiently being manly and do not want others to think they are otherwise, thus creating dangerous hazards for others in the immediate area.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  12. #12
    Regular Member skeith5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    357

    Re: Gun Range requiring qualification prior to shooting...

    The range I go to has a master member qualification you can get by having had training and shooting the idpa qualifier at a marksmen level or above (90 shots). We used to get 2 days out of the week to have a bay to ourselves. We could work the whole bay, shoot on the move, draw & shoot. Etc. Now they "improved" the program so we can only shoot behind the line but we can drop the table and do holster work.

    It's too bad they didn't have a qualification for everyone else. I've had firearms pointed at me on numerous occasions because of people not following the simple rule of keeping the muzzle down range.
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

  13. #13
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Not new here where I shoot.

    They have required "qualification" for years. Those who do not pass the qualification are required to shoot only when under the supervision of a Range Master. Those that do get to shoot during any daylight hours and get a key to the gate. May not be "indoors" but at least the range is enclosed on three sides shielding everyone from wind, rain, etc.

    I used to shoot a lot at Sams in So Everett and it was amazing how much damage the beginners (or show-off's) did to the equipment. Some couldn't hit the paper at 20 feet but could always manage to hit the target holders and lights that were concealed behind armor plate. Go figure.


    (BTW, some of the worst offenders were LEO's who went there to practice)
    My wife, and me used to go shoot there on ladies night. All you had to do was look over your head to see how many idiots had been through that range.--holes in the ceiling.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I've often thought about this when going shooting. How many out there treat a range like a bowling alley? Luckily I haven't seen much in the way of irresponsible behavior. Guess I should go more.
    I saw more craziness at military ranges than at civilian ranges ...

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA, ,
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Today I went with Nick to Kittitas Trading Company which has the only indoor range with in 30 miles of here and something new, we were required to qualify before being let loose to shoot on the range. Reasoning we were told was behind it as to the destruction of range equipment that believed occurred to shooter being unable to hit their targets!
    David,

    I know the old range down at the Fairgrounds has been closed down for quite some time, but does Yakima really have NO indoor shooting ranges in town?
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

  16. #16
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    My wife, and me used to go shoot there on ladies night. All you had to do was look over your head to see how many idiots had been through that range.--holes in the ceiling.
    Did you look at the floor? How about the "table" in each lane? Come to think about it, just about everything in the room but the outer entry door seemed to have signs of shrapnel or bullet damage.

    I think the new owners have a better handle on the problem today.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  17. #17
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Did you look at the floor? How about the "table" in each lane? Come to think about it, just about everything in the room but the outer entry door seemed to have signs of shrapnel or bullet damage.

    I think the new owners have a better handle on the problem today.
    Hopefully. That's part of the reason we stopped going...plus, it was so freaking cold there in the winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! (sorry, but it was cold)
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ritzville, Washington, United States
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by OlGutshotWilly View Post
    David,

    I know the old range down at the Fairgrounds has been closed down for quite some time, but does Yakima really have NO indoor shooting ranges in town?
    No indoor ranges, from Yakima myself, last one burned down a few years ago. I go out to LT murry myself, away from the crazies.

  19. #19
    Regular Member 509rifas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Yakima County
    Posts
    253
    my range recently added an orientation for the same reason. I was a member for a number of years, but let my membership lag for one year, so I had to attend the orientation in the wind and 9 o'clock in the morning in E WA, which is twice as cold as it's ever been on the west side.
    Not a bad idea, but according to some of the members it wasn't renegade members that did the damage.

  20. #20
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by OlGutshotWilly View Post
    David,

    I know the old range down at the Fairgrounds has been closed down for quite some time, but does Yakima really have NO indoor shooting ranges in town?
    I don't remember one being at the fairgrounds though there are shooting around there quite often but I guess that would be considered outdoor! Drive By or Run By....

    Correct there is no indoor range in Yakima as it burned down many many years ago and was never replaced, I have gone to Kennewick to the Hole in One to shoot before and recently to Ellensburg which is half the distance.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  21. #21
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgDavo View Post
    No indoor ranges, from Yakima myself, last one burned down a few years ago. I go out to LT murry myself, away from the crazies.
    Lt Murry been there several times and find fools out there as well from inexperienced shooters sweeping groups of people to putting up a steel car rim about 30ft away and shooting with an AR-15 or from what I hear reports of wannabe gangsters practicing drive by shootings!
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA, ,
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I don't remember one being at the fairgrounds though there are shooting around there quite often but I guess that would be considered outdoor! Drive By or Run By....

    Correct there is no indoor range in Yakima as it burned down many many years ago and was never replaced, I have gone to Kennewick to the Hole in One to shoot before and recently to Ellensburg which is half the distance.
    The Yakima Rifle and Pistol Club used to be in a building on the Fairgrounds property for about 30 years. Then the County kicked them out when the 30 year lease was up. I originally learned to shoot there.

    I had thought there might be another range in town. Didn't know the only one had burned.
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bremerton/Ellensburg
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgDavo View Post
    So if I go to the range, do their qualification, to me that is a good range day, I then can leave, do you have to pay for the qualification? If not, again a good range day. LOL.

    I don't blame them for the requirement, I am a firearms instructor and I am amazed at the "professionals" who cannot shoot.

    "and no I don't post much" mainly a lurker.
    +1

    Next time I go with BigDave, i'll see if I can do their qualification test with 100 rounds and they can kick me out for being a lousy shot =P

    BigDave- We should go again soon or later, maybe after I get my new sights!

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bremerton/Ellensburg
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by OlGutshotWilly View Post
    David,

    I know the old range down at the Fairgrounds has been closed down for quite some time, but does Yakima really have NO indoor shooting ranges in town?
    There are no indoor ranges in Yakima.

    I've gone to Sun Valley Shooting Park out in Moxee if you're just looking for a place to shoot.

  25. #25
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by XDNick9 View Post
    +1

    Next time I go with BigDave, i'll see if I can do their qualification test with 100 rounds and they can kick me out for being a lousy shot =P

    BigDave- We should go again soon or later, maybe after I get my new sights!
    Nick you are a good shot and it will show up when you have sights that are not pure black while shooting a black target.
    Yes we will go shooting again soon.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •