• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Range requiring qualification prior to shooting...

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Today I went with Nick to Kittitas Trading Company which has the only indoor range with in 30 miles of here and something new, we were required to qualify before being let loose to shoot on the range. Reasoning we were told was behind it as to the destruction of range equipment that believed occurred to shooter being unable to hit their targets!

With an increase of new shooters, I think it really was not a bad idea.

I shot expert :banana: with unlimited range access :bannna::banana::banana:

Last edited:

amlevin

Not new here where I shoot.

They have required "qualification" for years. Those who do not pass the qualification are required to shoot only when under the supervision of a Range Master. Those that do get to shoot during any daylight hours and get a key to the gate. May not be "indoors" but at least the range is enclosed on three sides shielding everyone from wind, rain, etc.

I used to shoot a lot at Sams in So Everett and it was amazing how much damage the beginners (or show-off's) did to the equipment. Some couldn't hit the paper at 20 feet but could always manage to hit the target holders and lights that were concealed behind armor plate. Go figure.

(BTW, some of the worst offenders were LEO's who went there to practice)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
The range feel the damage is a result of rapid fire of those in experienced and personally I feel a certain amount being intentional .

mikeyb

I've often thought about this when going shooting. How many out there treat a range like a bowling alley? Luckily I haven't seen much in the way of irresponsible behavior. Guess I should go more.

amlevin

The range in E-Burg has a list of charges for types of damage which you sign as a condition of use, so in this case, yes.

But if you've ever worked in or around a range you'll realize how it's nearly impossible to collect unless the RSO actually witnesses the damage when it occured.

All to many public ranges have just one person watching over the place, taking money from customers and every once in a while looking at the video monitor (if any).

What do you do if someone purposely shoots a target holder, you demand payment for the damage and then he/she just says "F-U", packs and leaves. Want to spend half of your working career in small claims court?

WalkingWolf

I don't like ranges because of unsafe behavior. Much prefer the country and good backstops. One of the reasons I use a airsoft for point shooting practice, cheap, and safe. A lot of ranges do not allow quick draw shooting to prevent accidents, I can certainly see why a range would require a qualification and maybe even a test before allowing shooters. After all it is their hide if someone gets shot.

And yes LE and LE wannabe are some of the biggest offenders. That is why police ranges have safety officers on the line, or they should if they don't.

1sgDavo

Quals

So if I go to the range, do their qualification, to me that is a good range day, I then can leave, do you have to pay for the qualification? If not, again a good range day. LOL.

I don't blame them for the requirement, I am a firearms instructor and I am amazed at the "professionals" who cannot shoot.

"and no I don't post much" mainly a lurker.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
So if I go to the range, do their qualification, to me that is a good range day, I then can leave, do you have to pay for the qualification? If not, again a good range day. LOL.

I don't blame them for the requirement, I am a firearms instructor and I am amazed at the "professionals" who cannot shoot.

"and no I don't post much" mainly a lurker.

At the Kittitas Trading Company the testing is just a one time cost of their target of a whopping $2.00 and range fees of $15.00, not bad at all.

I have seen a few unsafe handling practices before at other ranges that do not require any demonstration of safety and handling practices of firearms, though I have seen more violations in country or wilderness areas.

There has always been an issue with some that translate shooting firearms proficiently being manly and do not want others to think they are otherwise, thus creating dangerous hazards for others in the immediate area.

skeith5

The range I go to has a master member qualification you can get by having had training and shooting the idpa qualifier at a marksmen level or above (90 shots). We used to get 2 days out of the week to have a bay to ourselves. We could work the whole bay, shoot on the move, draw & shoot. Etc. Now they "improved" the program so we can only shoot behind the line but we can drop the table and do holster work.

It's too bad they didn't have a qualification for everyone else. I've had firearms pointed at me on numerous occasions because of people not following the simple rule of keeping the muzzle down range.

Beretta92FSLady

Not new here where I shoot.

They have required "qualification" for years. Those who do not pass the qualification are required to shoot only when under the supervision of a Range Master. Those that do get to shoot during any daylight hours and get a key to the gate. May not be "indoors" but at least the range is enclosed on three sides shielding everyone from wind, rain, etc.

I used to shoot a lot at Sams in So Everett and it was amazing how much damage the beginners (or show-off's) did to the equipment. Some couldn't hit the paper at 20 feet but could always manage to hit the target holders and lights that were concealed behind armor plate. Go figure.

(BTW, some of the worst offenders were LEO's who went there to practice)

My wife, and me used to go shoot there on ladies night. All you had to do was look over your head to see how many idiots had been through that range.--holes in the ceiling.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I've often thought about this when going shooting. How many out there treat a range like a bowling alley? Luckily I haven't seen much in the way of irresponsible behavior. Guess I should go more.

I saw more craziness at military ranges than at civilian ranges ...

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Today I went with Nick to Kittitas Trading Company which has the only indoor range with in 30 miles of here and something new, we were required to qualify before being let loose to shoot on the range. Reasoning we were told was behind it as to the destruction of range equipment that believed occurred to shooter being unable to hit their targets!

David,

I know the old range down at the Fairgrounds has been closed down for quite some time, but does Yakima really have NO indoor shooting ranges in town?

amlevin

My wife, and me used to go shoot there on ladies night. All you had to do was look over your head to see how many idiots had been through that range.--holes in the ceiling.

Did you look at the floor? How about the "table" in each lane? Come to think about it, just about everything in the room but the outer entry door seemed to have signs of shrapnel or bullet damage.

I think the new owners have a better handle on the problem today.

Beretta92FSLady

Did you look at the floor? How about the "table" in each lane? Come to think about it, just about everything in the room but the outer entry door seemed to have signs of shrapnel or bullet damage.

I think the new owners have a better handle on the problem today.

Hopefully. That's part of the reason we stopped going...plus, it was so freaking cold there in the winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry, but it was cold)

509rifas

my range recently added an orientation for the same reason. I was a member for a number of years, but let my membership lag for one year, so I had to attend the orientation in the wind and 9 o'clock in the morning in E WA, which is twice as cold as it's ever been on the west side.
Not a bad idea, but according to some of the members it wasn't renegade members that did the damage.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
David,

I know the old range down at the Fairgrounds has been closed down for quite some time, but does Yakima really have NO indoor shooting ranges in town?

I don't remember one being at the fairgrounds though there are shooting around there quite often but I guess that would be considered outdoor! Drive By or Run By....

Correct there is no indoor range in Yakima as it burned down many many years ago and was never replaced, I have gone to Kennewick to the Hole in One to shoot before and recently to Ellensburg which is half the distance.