• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Range requiring qualification prior to shooting...

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
No indoor ranges, from Yakima myself, last one burned down a few years ago. I go out to LT murry myself, away from the crazies.

:eek: Lt Murry been there several times and find fools out there as well from inexperienced shooters sweeping groups of people to putting up a steel car rim about 30ft away and shooting with an AR-15 or from what I hear reports of wannabe gangsters practicing drive by shootings!

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
I don't remember one being at the fairgrounds though there are shooting around there quite often but I guess that would be considered outdoor! Drive By or Run By....

Correct there is no indoor range in Yakima as it burned down many many years ago and was never replaced, I have gone to Kennewick to the Hole in One to shoot before and recently to Ellensburg which is half the distance.

The Yakima Rifle and Pistol Club used to be in a building on the Fairgrounds property for about 30 years. Then the County kicked them out when the 30 year lease was up. I originally learned to shoot there.

I had thought there might be another range in town. Didn't know the only one had burned.

XDNick9

So if I go to the range, do their qualification, to me that is a good range day, I then can leave, do you have to pay for the qualification? If not, again a good range day. LOL.

I don't blame them for the requirement, I am a firearms instructor and I am amazed at the "professionals" who cannot shoot.

"and no I don't post much" mainly a lurker.

+1

Next time I go with BigDave, i'll see if I can do their qualification test with 100 rounds and they can kick me out for being a lousy shot =P

BigDave- We should go again soon or later, maybe after I get my new sights!

XDNick9

David,

I know the old range down at the Fairgrounds has been closed down for quite some time, but does Yakima really have NO indoor shooting ranges in town?

There are no indoor ranges in Yakima.

I've gone to Sun Valley Shooting Park out in Moxee if you're just looking for a place to shoot.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
+1

Next time I go with BigDave, i'll see if I can do their qualification test with 100 rounds and they can kick me out for being a lousy shot =P

BigDave- We should go again soon or later, maybe after I get my new sights!

Nick you are a good shot and it will show up when you have sights that are not pure black while shooting a black target.
Yes we will go shooting again soon.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
There are no indoor ranges in Yakima.

I've gone to Sun Valley Shooting Park out in Moxee if you're just looking for a place to shoot.

Thanks for the info guys. I actually have a place to shoot indoors when I come over there on a personal 50 ft. range.

The bigger issue is that my brother and I have been tossing around thoughts of opening an indoor range over there, but there would be a lot of hurdles to overcome and it may very well not be feasible.

However, I had thought that there were other facilities open there. I had no idea there was no place whatsoever in town.

XDNick9

Thanks for the info guys. I actually have a place to shoot indoors when I come over there on a personal 50 ft. range.

The bigger issue is that my brother and I have been tossing around thoughts of opening an indoor range over there, but there would be a lot of hurdles to overcome and it may very well not be feasible.

However, I had thought that there were other facilities open there. I had no idea there was no place whatsoever in town.

Ah well lucky you for having a personal indoor range. I don't know anything about opening indoor ranges, but I'm sure you would get great business due to convenience of location and not outdoors. What do you think BigDave?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

I would be all for an indoor range in Yakima or close by though starting up can be challenging as you well know. I can put you in touch with a friend that has been working on one in Federal Way to exchange experiences that he has encountered along the way.

One thing I would like to bring to light here is that any range needs to have a primary business to be successful. Shooting ranges by themselves have struggles, as with the Sun Valley Shooting Park which seems to coming into their own.

Last edited: