• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Upcoming Magazine Registration

bushi01

So now that we know that any magazine over 10 rounds is on the bad list what is there proposal for how we are to "register" these magazines and what do you think the cost will be? Also will this have to be done yearly? Lots of questions that remain unanswered. I am guessing that the deadline of 1/1/2014 may slip a bit. Any thoughts?

motoxmann

none of this appears to be mentioned in the bill besides the January 1st 2014 deadline. I guess it will all depend on when they can actually get a system for it up and running.

To be honest though, it's just one more firearms thing being registered to the government in your name, and you still will not be allowed to carry any more than 10 rounds in it anyway unless on your own property or at a shooting range. You might be better off not registering, and rather getting new 10 round mags for your firearms, and "getting rid of" your standard mags before the deadline. and better yet, carry extra mags.
They think they're reducing the number of rounds a carrier will have available to them. I carry 15 rounds in my Sig with its factory issued mag, and no spare mags. but if/once this passes, I'll get three 10-round mags. I already have a holser that holds 2 spare mags, I just never use it. But I will, I'll have one 10-rounder in the sig, and 2 more in the holster, totaling 30 rounds. double what I normally carry before this law.

keep in mind that while you do need to perform a background check to sell a magazine to anyone within CT and file paperwork for it and everything, whether it be a private sale or sale to a dealer (according to this bill if it passes); there is NO law in the entire country requiring Anything to sell a magazine to a person in another state outside of CT, so long as they are not banned in that person's state. IE you can sell your mags to someone in New Hampshire, and you do not need any info about them whatsoever, nor do you need any kind of paperwork or anything.

Also keep in mind that the bill states if you don't register your mags, you must get rid of them, strongly recommending you sell them to a dealer, in which there will be gobs of paperwork for, also still tracing you to "weapons of mass destruction", so you lose there too. The only option for not getting your name on a state list of "owners of firearms of mass destruction" is to sell out of state or some other way move the items out of state.

Also, if firearms are lost or stolen within CT, you need to report it within 72 hours (maybe 48 hours with this new bill?). but if you're not possessing them in CT, that may not apply. IE having a boating accident while in international waters. or took a road trip (camping trip) to new Hampshire (gun friendly) and you fell down a mountain in the middle of nowhere and lost your gun/mags deep in the boonies where people may never have even been before and likely wont again for many decades :p

Or, you can always get a safety deposit box, or small storage bay in another state and keep anything you want in there. then you are legally not possessing any of the items in CT and do not fall under any of the new CT laws.

Last edited:

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

So now that we know that any magazine over 10 rounds is on the bad list what is there proposal for how we are to "register" these magazines and what do you think the cost will be? Also will this have to be done yearly? Lots of questions that remain unanswered. I am guessing that the deadline of 1/1/2014 may slip a bit. Any thoughts?

Your guess is as good as anyone else's at this point. I'm sure we'll hear about the proposed process in the weeks ahead.

BTW, I noticed a line item (#6) under "Restrictions on Declared LCMs" on the OLR Bill Analysis:

The bill limits where a person can possess an LCM that was declared. The person may possess it only:

6. under a valid gun permit, provided the LCM (a) is in a handgun lawfully possessed by the person before the bill took effect, (b) does not extend beyond the bottom of the pistol grip, and (c) contains no more than 10 bullets.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, we can't own an extended magazine for a pistol that extends beyond the bottom of the grip whatsoever (not even downloaded to 10)....

motoxmann

So, if I'm reading this correctly, we can't own an extended magazine for a pistol that extends beyond the bottom of the grip whatsoever (not even downloaded to 10)....

that is correct.
this though is yet another major discrepancy in the vagueness of the law, because a lot of factory magazines extend at least a little and sometimes a decent amount below the bottom of the grip. how do you determine how far is too far? some aftermarket mags that protrude further than the original mags still protrude less than the original mags for other types of handguns. heck, the baseplate on almost all handguns protrudes at least a little.

danr71

so my Springfield .40cal Sub-compact XD 12rd mags with the extended sleeve is no good...

motoxmann

so my Springfield .40cal Sub-compact XD 12rd mags with the extended sleeve is no good...

correct, illegal. unless you register them (once that system is created). but outside your home you can only load it with 10 rounds

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Well, you can keep what you have. You need to declare it (whatever that means we'll find out). And you can purchase after but just not in this state...I have several guns on the current AWB ... I store them out of state.

Would be easiest just to get a FFL again....

danr71

wondering about our AR's since they will be classified assault weapons now, do we still need to have the stocks "pinned" because that was needed to be legal. Do the old laws still apply?

motoxmann

wondering about our AR's since they will be classified assault weapons now, do we still need to have the stocks "pinned" because that was needed to be legal. Do the old laws still apply?

that's actually a very good question, because from what I can tell, it repeals the old AWB. so as long as it was legal in CT and legally owned/possessed in CT before today, it's "grandfathered" so long as you register it once that system comes into place, and from what I read yesterday I don't recall it saying anything about requiring the gun stay identical as to how it was before today. Guess we'll have to keep a lookout for any amendments in the near future, and possibly have someone with more legal knowledge examine this aspect.
because in light of that fact, if the gun is currently legal, and we don't need to stick to the old AWB limitations, we can unpin our muzzlebreaks too, and add flash suppressors, and even use sound suppressors on post-ban rifles (post-94). previously, the only way you could have a sound suppressor or flash suppressor was if the lower receiver was a pre-ban (pre-94).

davidmcbeth

Banned

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Well, you can keep what you have. You need to declare it (whatever that means we'll find out). And you can purchase after but just not in this state...I have several guns on the current AWB ... I store them out of state.

Would be easiest just to get a FFL again....

Noted, thanks David. Good idea about the FFL.

This is all such a headache - and for what?

From now on, I'm tempted to carry two Glock 30's with two spare mags each, just to make a statement. Hopefully my pants will stay up... :)

motoxmann

Noted, thanks David. Good idea about the FFL.

This is all such a headache - and for what?

From now on, I'm tempted to carry two Glock 30's with two spare mags each, just to make a statement. Hopefully my pants will stay up... :)

LOL! I'm hoping to strike a good paycheck one of these days soon so I can buy and customize twin polished/engraved nickel/cherry/pearl kimber 45's with 2 spare mags for each, for the same reason. talk about flashy. now the only question is whether to carry them while suited up, or while in my biker gear haha. I wonder which would make the bigger statement? one can dream. come on lotto!

arentol

Your guess is as good as anyone else's at this point. I'm sure we'll hear about the proposed process in the weeks ahead.

BTW, I noticed a line item (#6) under "Restrictions on Declared LCMs" on the OLR Bill Analysis:

The bill limits where a person can possess an LCM that was declared. The person may possess it only:

6. under a valid gun permit, provided the LCM (a) is in a handgun lawfully possessed by the person before the bill took effect, (b) does not extend beyond the bottom of the pistol grip, and (c) contains no more than 10 bullets.

Are there any handguns at all where the magazine does not extend beyond the bottom of the pistol grip? Doesn't this constructively outlaws all handgun magazines that hold more than 10 rounds whether you register them or not?

motoxmann

Are there any handguns at all where the magazine does not extend beyond the bottom of the pistol grip? Doesn't this constructively outlaws all handgun magazines that hold more than 10 rounds whether you register them or not?

a lot of Sig Sauer's and practically all 1911 type handguns the mags are perfectly flush with the grip, and a few other misc makes/models.

the problem is that they don't define "how much" it can or can't extend past the grip. most handguns the factory mags do by design extend past the grip by at least a little bit, because they need to due to the baseplate. we all know what their genuine implication is in fairness, but we all also know it's very open to being interpreted completely differently if wanted, due to no clarification. just like what I pointed out in another thread in regards to shotguns. any shotgun that has a fixed mag capacity of 5 or less is fine. but any shotgun with a fixed mag that can hold 6 or more is considered an assault weapon, and cannot be bought/sold in CT anymore, and needs to be registered if already owned. but a Remington 870 tactical holds five 3" shells or six 2 3/4" shells. so by this description, this specific gun is perfectly legal when using 3" shells, but is an assault weapon if using 2 3/4" shells. but its the same gun either way, the only difference is the ammo. so which is it? is the gun normal and legal? or is it an assault weapon?
and similarly, as Rich B has mentioned: a 30 round AR mag is the same as a 10 round .458 SOCOM mag. so that same mag is considered legal and normal capacity if using it for ginormous .458 SOCOM rounds, but is a high capacity illegal killing machine if using it for tiny .22 (.223/5.56mm) rounds. so is it legal or illegal? the mag is still the same, it's only the ammo that's different

ar_mag.png

Last edited:

Shawn Mitola

after speaking to an FFL friend of mine who is part owner of a shop in Naugatuck. They forgot to exempt FFL's and gun shops from the 1 gun a month restriction so according to what they have been told is currently they are technically only allowed to buy one gun a month because there is no exception in the bill for them.