• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Upcoming Magazine Registration

customcreationllc

Politicians are obviously completely ignorant when it comes to firearms.

What about pistols that use the magazine as the grip?
For example the baby glocks with with a pinky grip extension.

What about threaded barrels for pistols, A few guns come stock with threaded barrels, that's what holds the gun together, Walther P22 etc.
I like how my P22 is now an Assault pistol. The exempted rimfire for rifles but not pistols.

What is a shooting range? If I own a piece of property can I shoot LCM what about friends.

So if you move to this state you will need to sell everything before you get here.

What about multiple magazines? I'm going to design a gun that takes 3, 10rnd magazines.

Just maybe this will end up be a good thing.
When the law get challenged and found to be unconstitutional then no more assault weapons ban.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Politicians are not obviously completely ignorant .... (FIFY)

So if you move to this state you will need to sell everything before you get here.

See - there was a real plan to this law. Either totally eliminate guns or totally eliminate folks moving to Connecticut. Either one seems to work for them.

stay safe.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
after speaking to an FFL friend of mine who is part owner of a shop in Naugatuck. They forgot to exempt FFL's and gun shops from the 1 gun a month restriction so according to what they have been told is currently they are technically only allowed to buy one gun a month because there is no exception in the bill for them.

That might hurt business ... but they don't care ...

motoxmann

Politicians are obviously completely ignorant when it comes to firearms.

1) What about pistols that use the magazine as the grip?
For example the baby glocks with with a pinky grip extension.

2) What about threaded barrels for pistols, A few guns come stock with threaded barrels, that's what holds the gun together, Walther P22 etc.
I like how my P22 is now an Assault pistol. The exempted rimfire for rifles but not pistols.

3) What is a shooting range? If I own a piece of property can I shoot LCM what about friends.

4) So if you move to this state you will need to sell everything before you get here.

5) What about multiple magazines? I'm going to design a gun that takes 3, 10rnd magazines.

Just maybe this will end up be a good thing.
When the law get challenged and found to be unconstitutional then no more assault weapons ban.

1) that's the problem, they don't specify Anything. I assume they mean the BODY of the mag cannot extend past the grip, but the baseplate can. that's the typical interpretation of such a law. but without specifics in the law, it's impossible to determine for sure.

2) threaded barrels that are threaded to have the ability to accept a sound suppressor, IE tip of barrel (exit end) is threaded. if the rear end of the barrel is threaded as designed to hold the gun together, it doesn't count. I highly doubt anyone would try to say anything about a gun using a threaded barrel by design.

4) a shooting range is any range open to the public, with employees or owners exercising control of the property. I'll have to re-read yet again to see about using more than 10 rounds in a LCM on your own property (outside your house) or at a friends property with their permission

5) pistols cannot accept magazines outside the grip. shotguns cannot accept detachable magazines at all. rifles, nothing is mentioned about multiple mags

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Are there any handguns at all where the magazine does not extend beyond the bottom of the pistol grip? Doesn't this constructively outlaws all handgun magazines that hold more than 10 rounds whether you register them or not?

I think the short answer is yes. Any means "any distance" in this respect.

1026......(3) Any person who has declared possession of the magazine
1027 .....pursuant to section 24 of this act; or
yada yada yada
1117 ..... (f) Any person who declared possession of a large capacity
1118 ...... magazine under this section may possess the large capacity magazine
1119 ......only under the following conditions:
yada yada yada...
1137 ......(7) Pursuant to a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver, provided
1138 ...... such large capacity magazine (A) is within a pistol or revolver that was
1139 ......lawfully possessed by the person prior to the effective date of this
1140 ......section, (B) does not extend beyond the bottom of the pistol grip, and
1141 ......(C) contains not more than ten bullets.

From line 1026 it looks like any folks that declare the mags are OK, even if it goes beyond the grip and that permit holders cannot have them if they extend beyond the grip from line 1137 etc

Or only permit holders can have them but they cannot go beyond the grip (almost all of course).

I'm going to have to write a FOIA request and find out who wrote this bill ... someone needs drug testing IMMEDIATELY

Last edited:

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

LOL! I'm hoping to strike a good paycheck one of these days soon so I can buy and customize twin polished/engraved nickel/cherry/pearl kimber 45's with 2 spare mags for each, for the same reason. talk about flashy. now the only question is whether to carry them while suited up, or while in my biker gear haha. I wonder which would make the bigger statement? one can dream. come on lotto!

Sweet! I like the double 1911 idea, it's classy. As for the biker gear versus suit, I would go for the biker look. To me, bikers are just more trustworthy than suits - I used to work in finance, so I know what I'm talking about here. You know, if we're buying new guns we may as well go buy new bikes to match. Perhaps a new 1199 Panigale....God, I would love one of those (I would have to hide it really well from my wife however - she knows of my former motorcycle addiction and she's crafty). Lotto indeed...

Last edited:

motoxmann

Sweet! I like the double 1911 idea, it's classy. As for the biker gear versus suit, I would go for the biker look. To me, bikers are just more trustworthy than suits - I used to work in finance, so I know what I'm talking about here. You know, if we're buying new guns we may as well go buy new bikes to match. Perhaps a new 1199 Panigale....God, I would love one of those (I would have to hide it really well from my wife however - she knows of my former motorcycle addiction and she's crafty). Lotto indeed...

OMG! HAHA! I currently ride a black/red Monster with twin carbon cans :)) (nice and loud and throaty) looooove ducatis. I've always wanted one and finally got it last year

Last edited:

hobie16

correct, illegal. unless you register them (once that system is created). but outside your home you can only load it with 10 rounds
also, extended mags that hold 10 rounds are also illegal now, like the 10-round mags for the ruger LCP, because they extend beyond the grip

The way I read it AN LCP with 10 rounder is okay because it is not an LCM. The extending rule applies to "LCM"'s . I also have a SA 3.8 xdm compact(chopped grip) 9mm, so as I read it I can put 10 in my 13 rounder but can not put 10 in my 19 rounder (extends below grip even with sleeve?).:eek: I can carry 10 in my 19 if I permently affix a limiter to 10 and don't declare it as LCM.:banghead: I cannot carry 13 or 19 rounder even with 10 rounds loaded as a spare mag on my belt because it is not "IN" the pistol. :banghead: Unless I permanently block the mag to 10 and don't declare as LCM, then I can carry spare mag. Or if I bought 10 rounders which don't exist for my pistol. :banghead:

THEE KAHUNA

What about 1 in the chamber?

The law states 10 rounds in the magazine, but can you still have one in the chamber? Also, how can you register magazines that have no identification #'s or markings? Are we going to need to show proof of when we bought them? Almost ALL of my AR mags were purchased as group buys!!:banghead:

motoxmann

The law states 10 rounds in the magazine, but can you still have one in the chamber? Also, how can you register magazines that have no identification #'s or markings? Are we going to need to show proof of when we bought them? Almost ALL of my AR mags were purchased as group buys!!:banghead:

from a legal standpoint (I am not a licensed lawyer, but I am versed in law):

-you CAN have 1 in the chamber and 10 in the mag, totaling 11 rounds in the gun. because the law specifically states you can not load more than 10 rounds in the mag. the law does not mention anything about rounds in the chamber at all, and the round in the chamber is not in the magazine, so it can't be counted. similar to how our pistol permit law is written; it is for lawful CARRY of a pistol or revolver, it makes no mention of concealed or open, meaning both are legal because neither is mentioned nor prohibited.

-there are many terms that can be used to reference what they want us to do about reporting our mags. registration, claim of possession, notification of ownership, etc etc. but basically, they can not require information that does not exist universally on all magazines, like serial numbers on firearms, because most magazines do not have serial numbers. they CAN however ask for any and all identifying marks that ARE on the magazines. Like a PMAG, has like 5 or 6 different things molded into it; ammunition it was designed for, capacity, brand name, model name, model number, sometimes a Lot number, and sometimes even a serial number, and sometimes a date of manufacture. so when they say on the form list ALL identifying marks on the magazine, you pretty much have to list everything that is permanently on the mag.

-no, they can not require any form of proof of purchase. they can ASK for proof, but they can not require it. because there has never been any law requiring you to maintain possession of proof of purchase at all times or for any amount of time or anything. not that it matters anyhow because you need to have possessed the mag before the law took effect, and it's now illegal to sell any such mag to a CT resident within the state of CT, thus implying that if you have it you must have bought it when they were legal. also though, keep in mind there is no such thing as a law against trafficking magazines from one state to another, and magazine sales in all the other states do not require a background check nor any form of ID. so technically you can buy whatever mag you want anywhere else and bring it into CT, so long as the mag does NOT have a serial number proving its manufacture date as being after our law took effect. you'll still need to claim possession of it though once they get that system up and running, and be sure to claim you possessed it before April 2nd. And to protect my butt: I am simply listing all the screw-ups in the law that they have no control over; I am by no means advocating you commit perjury by claiming you bought a magazine at an earlier date than you actually bought it, or any other false info a person may put on the form, because perjury is just as heinous of a crime as passing unconstitutional laws and breaking your oath to defend the constitution.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

They will ask you to enumerate the mags you have ... then they'll get a search warrant (for a made up purpose) and count .. and extra & you get screwed .. any less and you get screwed

motoxmann

The way I read it AN LCP with 10 rounder is okay because it is not an LCM. The extending rule applies to "LCM"'s . I also have a SA 3.8 xdm compact(chopped grip) 9mm, so as I read it I can put 10 in my 13 rounder but can not put 10 in my 19 rounder (extends below grip even with sleeve?).:eek: I can carry 10 in my 19 if I permently affix a limiter to 10 and don't declare it as LCM.:banghead: I cannot carry 13 or 19 rounder even with 10 rounds loaded as a spare mag on my belt because it is not "IN" the pistol. :banghead: Unless I permanently block the mag to 10 and don't declare as LCM, then I can carry spare mag. Or if I bought 10 rounders which don't exist for my pistol. :banghead:

I re-read the law again, and yes, you are 100% correct in the above

motoxmann

The bill limits where a person can possess an LCM that was declared. The person may possess it only:

6. under a valid gun permit, provided the LCM (a) is in a handgun lawfully possessed by the person before the bill took effect, (b) does not extend beyond the bottom of the pistol grip, and (c) contains no more than 10 bullets.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, we can't own an extended magazine for a pistol that extends beyond the bottom of the grip whatsoever (not even downloaded to 10)....

that is correct.
this though is yet another major discrepancy in the vagueness of the law, because a lot of factory magazines extend at least a little and sometimes a decent amount below the bottom of the grip. how do you determine how far is too far? some aftermarket mags that protrude further than the original mags still protrude less than the original mags for other types of handguns. heck, the baseplate on almost all handguns protrudes at least a little.

I stand corrected. as long as the magazine is unable to hold more than 10 rounds, and is unable to be converted to hold more than 10 rounds, it doesn't matter how far the magazine extends past the grip. you may legally possess, use, carry in the gun, and carry as a spare, however you like, and do NOT need to register it.

extended/protruding magazines are only banned/regulated if they are capable of holding more than 10 rounds.

see the post above this one for other details.

Last edited:

motoxmann

I'm going to design and patent a 30 round revolver! LOL

this should get you started lol (from the 1800's):

gunshow2003-pinfire.jpg

larch

Nice find Motox! That is definitely an assault revolver! LOL.

I could see an astute gun designer coming up with a AR style rifle that takes standard 10 round mags and also has some sort of integral 30 round feed system that is fed and loaded through the stock.

Last edited:

Thundar

Your guess is as good as anyone else's at this point. I'm sure we'll hear about the proposed process in the weeks ahead.

BTW, I noticed a line item (#6) under "Restrictions on Declared LCMs" on the OLR Bill Analysis:

The bill limits where a person can possess an LCM that was declared. The person may possess it only:

6. under a valid gun permit, provided the LCM (a) is in a handgun lawfully possessed by the person before the bill took effect, (b) does not extend beyond the bottom of the pistol grip, and (c) contains no more than 10 bullets.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, we can't own an extended magazine for a pistol that extends beyond the bottom of the grip whatsoever (not even downloaded to 10)....

Looks like somebody is going to make money making custom - extra long - pistol grips.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

I stand corrected. as long as the magazine is unable to hold more than 10 rounds, and is unable to be converted to hold more than 10 rounds, it doesn't matter how far the magazine extends past the grip. you may legally possess, use, carry in the gun, and carry as a spare, however you like, and do NOT need to register it.

extended/protruding magazines are only banned/regulated if they are capable of holding more than 10 rounds.

see the post above this one for other details.

Got it - thanks!