• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disarming Veterans

sharkey

Yes and no.

If you required a fiduciary to pay your bills are you still competent to carry?

I'm not sure what physical disability could prevent you from paying your bills in today's day and age. I imagine even Stephen Hawking could pay his bills but a firearm would be useless to him. (Unless it was incorporated into his chair which would be cool!)

In 2007 the Congress passed some ill advised amendments to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The amendments were in response to the Virginia Tech shooting, (which did not involve a veteran) and were designed to make sure that people adjudicated to be “mentally defective” were on the list. However, the disqualification criteria remained the same, a person had to be found to be a danger to themselves or others or “lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage his own affairs.”
Since that amendment was adopted the VA has decided that all veterans that it declares “incompetent” to handle their VA payments are also ineligible to purchase or own firearms. There is absolutely nothing in the NICS criteria that states that those with physical disabilities belong on the list of individuals prohibited from owning firearms, yet the VA specifically states in their letter to veterans that this is part of their criteria. In addition, our investigation has found that the VA is using reasons such as minor depression, minor PTSD, and even minor short term memory loss as grounds for declaring veterans “mentally defective.” In some cases, the veterans are not even given a reason.

52826.jpg

Last edited:

We-the-People

Here's a FUQ from the link

The investigation included two separate requests to the VA under the federal Freedom of Information Act. We asked for the criteria used for appointing a fiduciary for veterans to handle their financial affairs and for information on the criteria for adding such veterans to the list of Americans ineligible to buy firearms. The legal deadline for a response from the VA has passed and our requests have been totally ignored.

Since that amendment was adopted [2007 NICS amendment] the VA has decided that all veterans that it declares “incompetent” to handle their VA payments are also ineligible to purchase or own firearms.

The VA is overstepping it's authority. Their assertion that if they declare a veteran incompetent to handle their VA affairs it then makes that veteran a firearms prohibited person is wrong. It deprives the veteran of their constitutional right to due process. Considering that the VA has not released its criteria for making such determinations, the problem is even more dastardly.

DamonK

Yes and no.

If you required a fiduciary to pay your bills are you still competent to carry?

I'm not sure what physical disability could prevent you from paying your bills in today's day and age. I imagine even Stephen Hawking could pay his bills but a firearm would be useless to him. (Unless it was incorporated into his chair which would be cool!)

52826.jpg

Here's the thing about that. They can assign one to you whether you ask or not. Like in my case, I have a head injury. I forget stuff like words and organization type stuff sometimes. I'm still perfectly capable of carrying responsibly. But if they notice that I'm having a hard time keeping my finances organized, or miss a couple appts and that's it, not more competency for me. And this without a doctor or judge ever looking at it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

We-the-People

Here's the thing about that. They can assign one to you whether you ask or not. Like in my case, I have a head injury. I forget stuff like words and organization type stuff sometimes. I'm still perfectly capable of carrying responsibly. But if they notice that I'm having a hard time keeping my finances organized, or miss a couple appts and that's it, not more competency for me. And this without a doctor or judge ever looking at it.

And there lies the unconstitutionality. Due Process is required if the state wants to deprive a citizen of their rights. Due Process requires the judicial system, not a bureaucratic decision by who knows who.

DamonK

And there lies the unconstitutionality. Due Process is required if the state wants to deprive a citizen of their rights. Due Process requires the judicial system, not a bureaucratic decision by who knows who.

Yup, and there isn't a judge around that would declare me incompetent. Ask anyone on here that's met me. I may be a little onery sometimes, but I'm very much competent.

sharkey

Great point.