• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy with questions

Youngcarry

I have been by this site a few times before but in my research i still have some unanswered questions id like some help on.
I am a couple months from 18 and plan to carry after my birthday. what i am curious about is that it doesnt seem black and white on how i can carry. Loaded, unloaded? What is unloaded in the eyes of the law, open chamber or no mag? Being i cant have a ccl how do i carry it in my vehicle?
Also i plan to carry a copy or two of the law being that i have met a lot of people that think i cant own a pistol at 18 (including cops and a gun shop).
Im in Shawnee, KS (Johnson county)
Is there any other advice you all may have for me?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

LeviR

Several things for you:

-I think you need to do a bit of research. Johnson county is a dicey place to carry. You can try to look up your local ordinances on http://www.municode.org

-Your county and city attorney's numbers should be online. Call up the county attorney and city attorney to get advice on your questions.

-Most people here are leery of giving legal advice but will cite laws for you when they can.

-I called the state attorney general's office and was told to call the county and city attorneys. Kansas allows open carry but has incomplete preemption.

-Look at the Attorney General Opinions section of this page:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/kansas.pdf

I'm not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

KTCerberus

PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, but federal law only requires FFLs to sell handguns to 21 year olds, and state law allows private transfer of firearms at 18. There shouldn't really be a "transfer", its either her gun and you are in legal possession of it, or it used to be her gun and now it is yours and in your possession. But yes DEFINITELY contact your county and city about carry as state does not completely preempt local law on this.

I know this is how it once was, as I purchased my first handgun at 18 after my first overseas deployment for its previous owner. Back then there wasn't open carry and concealed carry was at 21 so it sat in a safe for a few years.

C-dub

I think KTC is correct. I'm not completely sure about Kansas' law on the transfer of a firearm, but there shouldn't be anything you have to do. Where is your mom's gun registered in her name? I think the answer to that is, "no where." It's okay, though, it is a common misconception spread by movies and television that all firearms are registered to someone. Total movie BS like needing a minute or two to trace a call.

Super6O

So i turned 18 today, my question now is how would i transfer a gun from my mothers name to mine?

There is no gun registration in Kansas, so the only place it could be in anyones name is the form 4473 kept where it was purchased. That will always be there. If the firearm in question never passes through a FFL transfer again that will be the last name tied to the gun. From there it falls to private party bills of sale to prove ownership transfer. If nothing ever happens involving the gun, (theft, loss, use in self defense, etc.) no one will ever see those...

This is only my understanding of the way it works here, someone else whom has been around longer can probably add more insight into this.