• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tippecanoe County Sheriff and OC

pyroman

Well I got to inform a Tippecanoe County sheriff tuesday afternoon about open carry. I stopped by a gas station to get a soda. As I was exiting my vehicle I noticed him walking to the door. He heald the door open for another person and myself which I said thank you. So I go over to the fountain counter to grab a drink and he approached me.
Sheriff (whatever his name was): You need to cover that up.
Me: Say agian.
Sheriff: You need to cover that pistol up.
Me: Why?
Sheriff: Because Indiana is a Conceal Carry state.
Me: Im afraid not. Indiana is not a conceal carry state. We do not have CCW permits. We have License To Carry Handguns and I can carry open or concealled. It does not state one away or another.

I finished filling up my drink and went to pay. I could overhear him talking to another officer about it but I could not understand what they were saying. I paid and left.

Its nice to know that the ones who enforce the laws dont know them.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
Perhaps he was a new hire, Tippecanoe County and Lafayette PD officers are generally better informed than that.
Reports of such encounters in that area are fairly rare.

Nice job providing him with the proper info which was likely verified on the spot by the other officer.

pyroman

I was kinda surprise at the request to. I have came across many officers in the past 2 years and this was a first for me.

hollabakzach23

Another open carrier in tippy?! Where about are you from?? I'm in Lafayette. And most officers do know better. The only time I've ever been stopped was by an officer who was working at the mall and he asked me to cover up since the mall had a sign saying no firearms and he didnt want to have to come save me from a rent a cop. Glad it was uneventful for the most part though!