• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

June 9th is coming.

kurt555gs

Got the new holster for my favorite revolver today. For belt holsters I like Simply Rugged, but Diamond D Custom Leather in Wassila AK, makes these great chest holsters. I know it's 65 days early, but my guess is that the Chicago machine doesn't have the votes to pass HB1155. I don't think Brandon Phelps has the votes to pass the reasonable / good concealed carry bill HB997 either. Neither side will compromise, Actually HB997 is the result of 10 years of compromise with every anti gun group that has a lobbyist but the Chicago elite is thumbing it's nose at Judge Posner and isn't interested reason. I digress. So, given the inflexibility in Springfield, Illinois will most likely pass the June 9th deadline and end up with " Constitutional Carry " like Vermont has. This will be a mess for Chicago but since I like big bore revolvers like this Ruger .44, and constitutional carry means no restriction on Open Carry, I might as well be comfortable.

Attachments

• DDBH.jpg
    DDBH.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

jrj_51

Sounds fine to me! What implications, do you think, will the deadline passing have on visitors to IL, particularly Livingston County and south of there?

fjpro2a

Wishful Thinking?

I, for one, hope they don't pass a bill which would trigger "Constitutional Carry." Wouldn't it be amazing for Illinois to go from worst to one of the best? My pessimism, though, concludes that within a week of the deadline, someone or some judge will grant a 30 or 60 day extension based on all parties actively trying to reach a conclusion. If Illinois played by the rules, it would lose. But, when was the last time Illinois played by the rules? If I am wrong, let's have an open carry breakfast in downtown Chicago sometime in July or August. Ha!!!!

davidmcbeth

Banned
I, for one, hope they don't pass a bill which would trigger "Constitutional Carry." Wouldn't it be amazing for Illinois to go from worst to one of the best? My pessimism, though, concludes that within a week of the deadline, someone or some judge will grant a 30 or 60 day extension based on all parties actively trying to reach a conclusion. If Illinois played by the rules, it would lose. But, when was the last time Illinois played by the rules? If I am wrong, let's have an open carry breakfast in downtown Chicago sometime in July or August. Ha!!!!

At the Daley center? OMG Richie would have a heart attaaaaack. lol

Superlite27

Down to about 39 days from Constitutional Carry, isn't it?

....I'm kinda wonderin'....

....does anyone expect PRIL to roll over and die?

....Is there anything in the works?

....What is happening?!?

....We can't honestly believe PRIL is just going to quietly stand by without protest while the proletariat lawfully arms itself, can we?

June 9th will be here before you can sneeze. There's gotta be something in the works.

protias

Down to about 39 days from Constitutional Carry, isn't it?

....I'm kinda wonderin'....

....does anyone expect PRIL to roll over and die?

....Is there anything in the works?

....What is happening?!?

....We can't honestly believe PRIL is just going to quietly stand by without protest while the proletariat lawfully arms itself, can we?

June 9th will be here before you can sneeze. There's gotta be something in the works.

It would be nice to see the panty twisting going on when June 9 comes around. :D

junglebob

I expect if legislation doesn't pass by May 31, the end of the spring legislative session, Chicago will have some new ordinances requiring a Chicago carry permit for concealed carry and open carry will be prohibited. Chances of getting a Chicago carry permit will be slim to none unless you've had as much training as a LEO and have made a big donation to the Chicago democrat machine or are a part of it.

I expect that since mayors, alderman, village presidents and village trustees can no longer carry under Illinois law because of a recently passed bill, they'll automatically get a Chicago carry permit, maybe without training required.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I expect if legislation doesn't pass by May 31, the end of the spring legislative session, Chicago will have some new ordinances requiring a Chicago carry permit for concealed carry and open carry will be prohibited. Chances of getting a Chicago carry permit will be slim to none unless you've had as much training as a LEO and have made a big donation to the Chicago democrat machine or are a part of it.

I expect that since mayors, alderman, village presidents and village trustees can no longer carry under Illinois law because of a recently passed bill, they'll automatically get a Chicago carry permit, maybe without training required.
Knowing next to nothing about Illinois law, I have to ask - would such a thing stand?

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
Knowing next to nothing about Illinois law, I have to ask - would such a thing stand?

The Cook County Sheriff is interested enough to find out, or so it would seem from the fact that he proposed an ordinance for the county.

QCTimes Article

Don't forget that the state AG got an extension to appeal to SCOTUS if she chooses. That could lead to even more troubling issues, or be the end of one of the countless problems we have in the pro liberty, pro 2nd amendment community.

So long as May Issue laws remain constitutional these proposed laws may stand.

M-Taliesin

The Cook County Sheriff is interested enough to find out, or so it would seem from the fact that he proposed an ordinance for the county.

Howdy!
I know this is the Illinois forum, but I grew up in Illinois, still have a house there, and dread going back because of the situation that exists in Illinois.

The Cook County Sheriff made the statement about having a "Wild West" environment in Illinois over the firearm issue, and I would suggest he check out Wyoming, Arizona, Alaska and other states where Constitutional carry is the rule. Are they the "Wild West"? That particular argument doesn't hold much water, considering that other states that have far greater liberty show less crime, crime on the decline, and none of those lurid depictions of shoot-outs on the streets of our cities they love to relate as an excuse to infringe on the liberties of free citizens.

The idea of having individual jurisdictions, and having a patchwork of laws across a state is not simply a bad idea, but apt to create an atmosphere that is contrary to the rights of free people. In order to illustrate my point, I'd like to quote from Colorado State law because the language of this law, active in Colorado today, is pretty clear that there should be one source of such a law in any given state and the right of the citizen to be protected from being prosecuted in one jurisdiction for conduct entirely lawful in another:

CRS 29-11.7-101. Legislative declaration.
(1) The general assembly hereby finds that:
(b) Section 13 of article II of the state constitution protects the fundamental right of a person to keep and bear arms and implements section 3 of article II of the state constitution;
(d) There exists a widespread inconsistency among jurisdictions within the state with regard to firearms regulations;

(e) This inconsistency among local government laws regulating lawful firearm possession and ownership has extraterritorial impact on state citizens and the general public by subjecting them to criminal and civil penalties in some jurisdictions for conduct wholly lawful in other jurisdictions;

(f) Inconsistency among local governments of laws regulating the possession and ownership of firearms results in persons being treated differently under the law solely on the basis of where they reside, and a person's residence in a particular county or city or city and county is not a rational classification when it is the basis for denial of equal treatment under the law;
(2) Based on the findings specified in subsection (1) of this section, the general assembly concludes that:

(a) The regulation of firearms is a matter of statewide concern;

(b) It is necessary to provide statewide laws concerning the possession and ownership of a firearm to ensure that law-abiding persons are not unfairly placed in the position of unknowingly committing crimes involving firearms.

(Bold or underlined text added by me for emphasis as to relevance to the present discussion)

With the foregoing in mind, the worst thing I can figure for Illinois to do is create a checkerboard of ordinances, laws, municipal codes, and scattershot regulations is a bad approach. It also provides an atmosphere for local jurisdictions to fatten their coffers by imposing fines and fees for conduct that would perhaps be entirely lawful in their home jurisdiction. Worse, where you live, you may be in complete compliance within your own jurisdiction, but brought up on criminal charges when in another. It would require you to know the borders of every jurisdiction in the state, and limit your freedom to travel with confidence from place to place.

You might feel that I'm butting into your business here, but I was born and raised in Illinois. The home I grew up in still in our possession. I'd just like to feel free to come to my home and enjoy the peace and security of knowing I can do so as a free citizen of the land of liberty... without fear and intimidation that I might inadvertantly cross some boundary or another that lands me in jail. Until then, guess I'll stay clear of my own home, an exile from my place of birth!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

davidmcbeth

Banned
You might feel that I'm butting into your business here

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I don't see people posting in other state's forums, being concerned of other states' laws as "butting in". As you said, you could be living in Il if you desire and people travel through the state.

One can call a representative in a state 4000 miles away and let them know their thoughts ... I have done this quite often ~ many states read what other states have passed as a blue print for their next legislation. So I see value in contacting representatives in Il and elsewhere. If only to highlight the errors in the logic of proposed legislation in a state 4000 miles away.

davidmcbeth

Banned

QCTimes Article

Don't forget that the state AG got an extension to appeal to SCOTUS if she chooses. That could lead to even more troubling issues, or be the end of one of the countless problems we have in the pro liberty, pro 2nd amendment community.

So long as May Issue laws remain constitutional these proposed laws may stand.

http://www.city-data.com/top27.html

Well, lawmakers in Ill. -- some say they are worried about crime --- 4 out of the 10 most dangerous cities in the nation are already in Illinois --- see link

Congrats on your current gun control laws ~ wild wild west? Its already that, except the people are defenseless.

Let my people go !

E6chevron

http://www.city-data.com/top27.html

Well, lawmakers in Ill. -- some say they are worried about crime --- 4 out of the 10 most dangerous cities in the nation are already in Illinois --- see link

Congrats on your current gun control laws ~ wild wild west? Its already that, except the people are defenseless.

Let my people go !

6 out of worst 20

8 out of worst 30

10 out of worst 40

Illinois contains pockets that are just killing grounds. Keeping guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens has not made these places safer.

Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin is #76

E6chevron

6 out of worst 20

8 out of worst 30

10 out of worst 40

Illinois contains pockets that are just killing grounds. Keeping guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens has not made these places safer.

Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin is #76

If the Illinois Governor vetoes the bill, it would go back to the legislature and then could pass it with a sufficient majority (which they already have).

BUT

If the governor just leaves it sit on his desk, does it pass after a certain number of days, or does it act like a pocket veto, and revert to the legislature for an override vote.

kurt555gs

If the Governor chooses to ignore it normally it would become law after 60 days. If he vetos it the override would be in the November session. However if he chooses either of this options then we would have failed to meet the June 9th deadline imposed by the court and we would have " court carry " until it became law by override or time out.

* Carthago Delenda Est *

RANDYT

And Lisa Madigan filed for a 30 day extention of the mandate today, with the 7CA. Don't know if she will get it. Most likely not, since they have already been given 6 months already

RANDYT

If the Governor chooses to ignore it normally it would become law after 60 days. If he vetos it the override would be in the November session. However if he chooses either of this options then we would have failed to meet the June 9th deadline imposed by the court and we would have " court carry " until it became law by override or time out.

* Carthago Delenda Est *
If the gov vetoes the bill, Cullerton, and Madigan can call a special session to override the veto at any time. They don't have to wait till the fall session to override.